At Home In The Woods

/ At Home In The Woods #4,811  
Hey Obed, Great thread been reading when possible but only about 50 pages in. A little jealous here....my azz is in MI but my heart is right there in the Kyles Ford/ Sneedville TN area. Something in the water there too my 40yo cuz had her first child after about 20yrs of marriage and thinking she would never have any. Go figure! Did you ever sell that 61 acres? Look forward to reading more and hope you've found your own little slice of heaven there!

/ At Home In The Woods
#4,812  
Hey Obed, Great thread been reading when possible but only about 50 pages in. A little jealous here....my azz is in MI but my heart is right there in the Kyles Ford/ Sneedville TN area. Something in the water there too my 40yo cuz had her first child after about 20yrs of marriage and thinking she would never have any. Go figure! Did you ever sell that 61 acres? Look forward to reading more and hope you've found your own little slice of heaven there!
Welcome to the thread shysterk. Yes we did sell the 61 acres.
Obed

/ At Home In The Woods #4,813  
He probably doesn't know about you guys winning the lottery and moving to Belize either, don't ruin it for him. :laughing:

/ At Home In The Woods
#4,814  
J F said:
He probably doesn't know about you guys winning the lottery and moving to Belize either, don't ruin it for him. :laughing:

The weather sure is nice down here in Belize! :)

/ At Home In The Woods
#4,816  
We had a flock of wild turkeys, about a dozen, visit us several times the past week.

IMG_0312.JPG

/ At Home In The Woods
#4,817  
Here I am on the front porch enjoying a warm spring day last week. In the picture, I'm posting to this thread using my laptop with wireless access.

IMG_0314.JPG

I'm still waiting to get some use out of our back porch we finished just as the weather turned cold last fall.

/ At Home In The Woods
#4,818  
Hitch Question

I talked to a welder today who said he could weld a hitch receiver onto my box blade. I have been dreaming about getting this done for a couple years. With a hitch receiver on the box blade, I could pull my 5x8 trailer with my tractor without having to remove the box blade. I am a little torn. I might want to have the receiver welded onto my grading blade instead of the box blade. I'm thinking I will be using the grading blade more than the box blade as I maintain our gravel driveway. The grading blade isn't as heavy as the BB and won't provide as much ballast.

One issue is the height of the receiver. When the BB is on the ground, the top of the BB is 17" high. The height of the grading blade is similar. My hitch for my 5x8 trailer is 12" off the ground when the trailer is level. I have a drop hitch that drops the height 5" but that isn't enough. Assuming I raised the BB 6" off the ground and used the 5" drop hitch, the trailer hitch would 18" off the ground, 6" too high.

Below are pictures of the BB and the grading blade.

Do you guys have any suggestions how to accomplish this?

IMG_0339.JPG IMG_0340.JPG IMG_0341.JPG IMG_0349.JPG IMG_0350.JPG IMG_0351.JPG IMG_0353.JPG

/ At Home In The Woods #4,819  
Heck, it should be cheap enough to weld one on both. A receiver tube is no more than $10-20, and once he's set up, welding time for 2 is not much more than one.

I would say you are overthinking the trailer hitch height issue. This is just for pulling around the property. Bias the trailer load towards the front so you don't unweight the tongue and it should be fine. Maybe connect a chain from the drawbar to the upper link so it can't pitch skyward too. Safety measure...

/ At Home In The Woods
#4,820  
I would say you are overthinking the trailer hitch height issue. This is just for pulling around the property. Bias the trailer load towards the front so you don't unweight the tongue and it should be fine. Maybe connect a chain from the drawbar to the upper link so it can't pitch skyward too. Safety measure...
Dave,
Maybe I am overthinking it, not that I would ever do that:laughing:. I will be pulling the trailer around the property fully loaded with firewood. I would like the trailer to be level without the BB's being so low that the BB drags the ground.
Obed