At Home In The Woods

/ At Home In The Woods #4,831  
On the ricks 3pt link, look on pdf page 11, (ricks page 9) at item S.05188 Heavy Duty. I think that is a CAT 1 pin with a CAT 2 mounting bolt. I think that is the critter you are looking for and it won't need a bushing. You might find those at tractor dealers, farm supply stores, TSC, etc. I have no idea how to buy anything from Rick either :laughing: but, at least you get some great size charts.

If you have it welded on and it breaks or bends badly later on, then you have other problems to repair that.

/ At Home In The Woods #4,832  
On the ricks 3pt link, look on pdf page 11, (ricks page 9) at item S.05188 Heavy Duty. I think that is a CAT 1 pin with a CAT 2 mounting bolt. I think that is the critter you are looking for and it won't need a bushing. You might find those at tractor dealers, farm supply stores, TSC, etc. I have no idea how to buy anything from Rick either :laughing: but, at least you get some great size charts.

If you have it welded on and it breaks or bends badly later on, then you have other problems to repair that.

Go to your browser and in the address bar type in: www.ricksagparts.com and hit enter.

Then after the page loads, look for the online store button.

QED

Thomas- happily tap tap tapping on my repaired Galaxy Tab

/ At Home In The Woods #4,833  
Go to your browser and in the address bar type in: Home and hit enter.

QED

You know, I never thought of looking for the home page--must be getting old. I got to the 3pt parts on a google search. Thx.

/ At Home In The Woods
#4,834  
Go to your browser and in the address bar type in: Home and hit enter.

QED

I still couldn't find that link pin. I spent last evening hunting for one online and was unsuccessful. I think I've spent enough time searching for the needle in the haystack. I'll probably just get a Cat 1 pin and put it in the box blade hole that is bigger than a Cat 1 pin, tighten down the nut and see if I can live with it that way.
Obed

/ At Home In The Woods
#4,835  
I gave my nephew my old 20" Poulan chainsaw. I hand sharpened it before giving it to him.

IMG_0315.JPG

I still have a 14" Poulan in addition to my new 20" Stihl. So I still have a backup saw if I need it. I'll be curious to see how the 14" Poulan cuts after I sharpen it. My wife has been asking to use the little chainsaw. She wants to clean up some small stuff in the woods close to our back yard. Being small in stature, I don't know if she can safely handle a chainsaw. I have my reservations.

/ At Home In The Woods #4,836  
Obed, I bought my wife and grandson a Greenworks cordless chainsaw. I know, I know. . . that sounds like a toy, but the darn thing is really pretty cool. You don't have to add fuel or pull a rope. You do add oil. It has a 40 volt Li-Ion 4AH battery. I charged ours up and then used it to cut down and trim/buck three 6" trees in our yard this last fall on one charge. I charged the battery and it's been hanging in my wellhouse all winter but still shows 3 of 4 power lights on the battery. Oregon makes several replacement chains and bars for the saw. It's a lightweight saw that can get some real work done even if it won't make the chips fly quite like your Stihl. The reviews are almost all positive. Of course, it's pretty expensive, but you never have to buy/mix fuel when you want to trim a few limbs without dragging a cord behind you.

/ At Home In The Woods #4,837  
Obed,

I am pretty sure that you can get pins at TSC that will have Cat2 threads and Cat1 pins. I had a need for some last year, as best as my memory serves me.

/ At Home In The Woods #4,838  
Obed, I bought my wife and grandson a Greenworks cordless chainsaw. I know, I know. . . that sounds like a toy, but the darn thing is really pretty cool. You don't have to add fuel or pull a rope. You do add oil. It has a 40 volt Li-Ion 4AH battery. I charged ours up and then used it to cut down and trim/buck three 6" trees in our yard this last fall on one charge. I charged the battery and it's been hanging in my wellhouse all winter but still shows 3 of 4 power lights on the battery. Oregon makes several replacement chains and bars for the saw. It's a lightweight saw that can get some real work done even if it won't make the chips fly quite like your Stihl. The reviews are almost all positive. Of course, it's pretty expensive, but you never have to buy/mix fuel when you want to trim a few limbs without dragging a cord behind you.

I've been tempted by the cordless saws, good to hear a recommendation for one. I think it would be the cat's meow for walking a trail and zipping off the small branches that are reaching for the light. I do that now with my little Stihl, but I am always trying to decide if I should shut if off, or is the next branch is going to be close enough to let it run.

Last edited:
   / At Home In The Woods #4,839  
I would also like to fix the 3PH pins on the box blade. One of them is in particularly bad shape; it is loose and is bent. I am talking to the welder to see if he might replace them. I doubt I can get the nut off. Also, it looks like the hole the pin fits through is too large.

View attachment 309923 View attachment 309924

Do you have a grinder? Just cut it off if so, wont take 5 mins and a cutoff wheel.

This is the reason I bought the el cheapo HF welder. It has started paying me back years ago, esp once I got a tractor. I cant weld huge stuff but for what your talking about it can handle, but adding plate to reinforce something, not really but to add gussets on a bushhog or something that is getting weak or stiching back up the deck its perfect. I bet the welder want $30-50 per piece to weld the balls on maybe $25 ?? but I think I have $100 or less in the welder. THe welder and a grinder and you can be pretty handy.

/ At Home In The Woods #4,840  
Thanks Dave. You may have steered me onto the right path. I suspect you are correct in that my box blade originally had a larger 3PH Cat size pin and somebody replaced the original pin with a smaller diameter Cat 1 pin. The bushings I have found for stepping down from a Cat 2 to a Cat 1 are all to long. If I could find a Cat 2-1 conversion lower link pin, I think that would work. The pdf link you provided at ricksagsparts.com showed a conversion link pin, but I don't know how to order it.

I'll have to do some digging. I might just end up replacing the bent pin with another Cat 1 pin. It's not idea but might be good enough.

Obed

Here is another use for that grinder, you can cut down just about anything!