At Home In The Woods

/ At Home In The Woods #4,851  
Everyone should have an angle grinder :laughing:

Hitachi at Lowes: Shop Hitachi 4.5-in 6-Amp Trigger Switch Corded Grinder at Lowes.com

Bosch at Lowes (a bit more, but under $60) : Shop Bosch 4-1/2-in 7.5-Amp Sliding Switch Corded Grinder at Lowes.com

I have the Bosch unit and it has worked well for me. I have ground down concrete, sharpened my bush hog blades while not having to take them off, cut off various metal things, cut the super hard links in my tire chains to fit them to my tires. If you don't have a bench grinder, it is a good stand-in for those too: sharpen mower blades and garden tools, etc. It is a seriously useful tool, you need one of these Obed. :laughing: May as well buy a welder too while you are shopping. :cool2:

/ At Home In The Woods #4,852  
I have a chainsaw with two batteries (backup battery to make sure I don't have to wait for battery recharge on the job). It is great for trimming trees and making fast work of cleaning branches from main limb. Bought it from a friend who was moving for $20 and he gave me 5 extra chains that were brand new.

My collection of chainsaws consists of 2 gas powered, 2 electric hand held, 1 electric pole and the battery operated hand held one. I have been hand sharpening them but have been tempted to buy HF elctric sharperner that was just on sale for $21.99.

A tip I got from a tree trimmer is that you should always sharpen your chain after each use before storing it away till next time you need it. This prevents using it multiple times and ending up with a poor cutting saw. He also said chains will last a lot longer before needing replacement.

/ At Home In The Woods
#4,853  
Ok guys, you've got my juices flowing. You have convinced me to buy an angle grinder. $22 at Harbor Freight. I'm also considering a cheap welder. I just have no idea what I need.

Obed

/ At Home In The Woods #4,855  
Ok guys, you've got my juices flowing. You have convinced me to buy an angle grinder. $22 at Harbor Freight. I'm also considering a cheap welder. I just have no idea what I need.

Obed

NO get the coupon that makes thier 4.5" grinder $14.99, i see it all the time. I have thier 90amp wire welder. Its like $99-115 on sale. It was blue when i got it, but may be black now??? I buy wire at Lowes as some say its cleaner welding, and i would agree. I bought it and then could not weld and put it in a closet for a year before i really taught myself how to weld. Never had anyone show me, watched youtube and just did it all along the way before and after watching.

My main problem was going to fast. You will learn the speed to move it as you go. The thicker the metal the easier it is. Things like mower decks or barrels are harder as you "blow" holes in them. Things like 1/4'' plate or 3/8" plate are easier.

Get you some scrap to start on and teach yourself on that before you try anything.

/ At Home In The Woods #4,856  

Obed

Don't ever pay retail at HF- you should subscribe to the HF thread on TBN to get reviews and hints about what is good and what isn't. Also consider signing up for their email discounts.

HF tools, [and some of the ones from TSC also], while not always the best, have gotten me started on/helped me through, so many things I would not have been able to get into or done without the access to cheap tools to do what I need at minimal price.

Here is a link for a perpetual sale page from HF: Digital Savings

It has ALWAYS had a 20% sale coupon and sometimes other coupons that were very helpful.

But you have to plan your trips to make the most of the discounts, because they are no longer stackable.

Thomas

BTW, this is a better, and significantly more powerful, though slightly more expensive grinder from HF.

I have found that it is worth the $26.00 I paid for it on sale with the 20% off coupon [JMHO- ;)T]:
image_11357.jpg

4-1/2" Angle Grinder with Paddle Switch 65519
[Sorry, I tried to make it smaller]

4-1/2" Angle Grinder with Paddle Switch

Chicago Electric Power Tools Pro

Powerful angle grinder with paddle switch provides compact proficiency for sanding, grinding and deburring

Only: $39.99
Sale: $29.99

The high power-to-weight ratio of this 4-1/2" angle grinder with paddle switch provides all the speed and power you need for tough jobs along with a compact size to fit into tight spaces. A vibration-reducing handle can be secured in three positions and an adjustable wheel guard redirects sparks away from the user. Also features a contractor-grade impact resistant aluminum housing and 6 amp fan-cooled all ball bearing 10,000 RPM motor for smooth operation and long life.

High power-to-weight ratio for a compact, lightweight tool with the speed and power for tough jobs
Contractor grade impact resistant aluminum gear housing for increased durability and protection
Large paddle switch with safety tab
Three position vibration reducing auxilliary handle
Easy-to-replace brushes
Comes with grinding wheel, wrench, carbon brushes

Specifications
Name 4-1/2" Angle Grinder with Paddle Switch
SKU 65519
Brand Chicago Electric Power Tools Pro
Amperage (amps) 6
Diameter 4-1/2
Maximum speed (rpm) 10000
Voltage (volts) 120
Voltage type VAC
Cord length 6 ft.
Product Weight 4.19 lbs.
Size(s) 5/8-11 Spindle With 7/8 Adapter
Accessories Included wrench, and spare carbon brushes

VS
image_11753.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-duty-4-1-2-half-inch-angle-grinder-91223.htm

This angle grinder has a powerful ball-bearing motor that provides smooth-running power to

tackle the hardest metal cutting, shaping and slag removal jobs!
Features include a tough aluminum construction for durability, a
recessed spindle lock and a two-position auxiliary handle for comfort
and control along with carbon brushes. This angle grinder is a powerful
tool for the professional metal worker or hobbyist.

• All ball-bearing motor for smooth running, long life
  • Rugged cast aluminum gear case takes a pounding
  • Two-position auxiliary handle
  • Spindle lock for fast, easy wheel changes
  • Comes with 4-1/2" grinding wheel, spindle nut, two wrenches, spare brushes

Specifications

Name
4-1/2" Heavy Duty Angle Grinder
SKU
Brand
Chicago Electric Power Tools
Amperage (amps)
Diameter
4-1/2
Maximum speed (rpm)
Voltage (volts)
Voltage type
VAC
Size(s)
5/8-11 Spindle With 7/8 Adapter
Accessories Included
Grinding wheel, spindle nut, two wrenches, spare brushes.

I hope this helps and doesn't hinder your decision-making process.

Thomas

PS: I also have their cheapest welder [see the "digital savings page above] but I haven't tried it yet [awaiting my barn completion and exhaust fan installation] but on the welding net and the HF page on TBN, there are some folks who make it sing! The secrets seem to be go slowly, practice, and don't be afraid to reinforce the weld or buttress the piece. I have thought that maybe I should have waited to buy a more expensive one, but it turns out that my B-I-L [who used to weld for a living] has an brand new, unused AC tombstone stick machine sitting in his garage because he doesn't have or want to add a 220 line in his house, and he said that he'd give it a new home here, and teach me to use it, as long as he can "borrow" it once in a while.

Finally, you may not need to weld, and not even have to use a Cat 2 bolt section to use your box blade safely...

What if you just heated up and pound the mounting flange flat[ter], then make 2 square pieces from scrap to fit tightly up against the wall of the BBB sandwiching the flange to reinforce it, puting the correct/proper size bolt holes in these, so that when you tighten down the nuts etc, on the bolt, you are sandwiching the enlarged hole very tightly between two normal sized holes squarely.

Hopefully, by butting them against the wall of the BB, they won't have room to shift around. If they don't work, at least you could still them use them as weld-on reinforcements. No harm in trying.
Thomas

/ At Home In The Woods #4,858  
I've had good performance from HF power tools. The grinder should be fine. I have one of the flux core wire welders- it does okay. I also have a Lincoln stick welder and a Miller Mig machine.

Be very careful with HF drill bits AND grinding wheels. I've had HF bits untwist and have had them break very unexpectedly. One bit broke and the end in the drill went through my thumb nail of my left hand. It hit bone and I had to have emergency surgery to reconstruct the end of my thumb. It is almost good as new. A NEW 1/4" bit shouldn't break drilling through a plastic fender liner.

I've had more than one HF grinding wheel break apart under very little stress. Their wire cups for grinders throw the wires very quickly.

/ At Home In The Woods #4,859  
I too have gotten so many tools there that i could not have afforded if not for that place, even tools at lowes or TSC are way more in many cases. I have a good bit of mecanics tools that now make my life easier. I love expensive tools but just cannot justify buying them even if it means i have to buy a new set of something every now n then. I have doubles of many things, but now HF gives a lifetime warrenty on thier handtools and they seem to be beefier than about 5+ years ago, or compared to other "cheap" tools. I use to do all the work on my vehicles with a plastic case of wrenches and 3/8 drive retchets some odd screw drivers a hammer and a few random wrenches and adjustable. I kept it all in my truck in highschool and college. Now that i am on my own and amassing stuff i have got a decent collection and working on things is 10x faster and easier now. With a grinder and welder i can so things that i never would of dreamed of doing before. You can like i said weld a nut onto that stripped bolt head or nut, you can weld something that is spinning in a hole so that you can just turn one side, with a grinder you just cut nuts off that you use to cuss at then either replace the whole bolt or if your good you can cut jst the nut and with a chisel split whats left.

They are really good on thier warrenty also. I mean if you dont like how something is working you can tear it up yourself and they will replace it. I had a floor nailer than i got at the cheapest i had ever seen it there. I was watching for almost a year as i had a project planned. When it bottomed out i bought it but also got the extended warrenty that i normally would not have bought. But becasue i was buying a good bit in advance of the project i did not want my warrenty to run out before i even used it. I got about 1/3 of the way through my floor and it was jambing and acting up. I took it back, got a new one and no questions asked. it performed fine the rest of the floor.

Also good for buying that random tool that you need one time but not going to spend $80+ dollars for from lowes. I got the vibrator cutter tool to cut a floor board out. Was the only thing I could think of to do what I needed, and I only paid $20 for it. The lowes versions were way more, I used it shelfed it and have since used it a few more times now that I have it.

Last edited:
   / At Home In The Woods #4,860  
Obed, If you are looking for a welder I can recommend the Lincoln 180 that I have. Not the cheapest by far, but will do most everything I have made/repaired. Lowes is selling them for $670.