At Home In The Woods

/ At Home In The Woods #5,041  
Any oil is better than nothing - even motor oil or ATF, but a source for decent cutting and tapping oils is the plumbing section. Used for threading iron pipe. The way it was told to me is "the stinkier, the better" as apparently sulfur containing oils are best for this.

/ At Home In The Woods #5,042  
I agree. Either go to the plumbing section of Lowe's and get "thread tapping oil", or try to get something called "Tap Magic" in the tool department.

An alternative would be to find a real tool store, as opposed to the tool department in Lowe's. Look in your phone book.

As dstig1 says, any oil is better than no oil, and if push comes to shove, I would try the least expensive type of Automatic Transmission Fluid at an auto parts store.

/ At Home In The Woods #5,043  
having cut alot of holes in steel... for the cost ATF is my vote.

Cutting oil has 2 main goals. Keep the thing being cut cooler, and to move cuttings away from where the action is.

Get a pump oil can like this and add a little as you cut. Bonus if you can have a helper do it wile you cut.

Look up the speed for a hole saw in thicker steel... its going to be fairly slow, if you go to fast, you generate too much heat. The heat softens the metal and you can loose the sharpness in a single hole.

/ At Home In The Woods #5,044  
Any oil is better than nothing - even motor oil or ATF, but a source for decent cutting and tapping oils is the plumbing section. Used for threading iron pipe. The way it was told to me is "the stinkier, the better" as apparently sulfur containing oils are best for this.

I have used cutting and tapping oil from the plumbing section. A QT jug last me 10 years or so. It has a built-in spout so no need for a oil can.

Chris

Chris

/ At Home In The Woods #5,045  
ditto on any oil, I also used ATF. Heck - I even used leftover brake fluid from a bleeding air job. That stuff is bad though in cutting metal -- it smells and smokes. At least I had SOMETHING on hand. Thinner oil is better then chainsaw oil since chainsaw oil has additives to "stick" to rail, where atf moves the metal stuff away . Chainsaw oil is more likely to retain the metal chips - but then if you needed to cut metal -- nothing on hand, I'd use chainsaw oil. Makes my tools, money last longer.

/ At Home In The Woods
#5,049  
I found this piece of 1/4" angle iron at the scrap yard when I went back to find some heavier metal on which to practice my welding. It's about the size of a brick lentel. However, I keep picking up practice scraps and then thinking of some real use for them which makes it difficult to then use them for practice welding. It's funny now that when driving around, I keep my eyes on the watch for junk metal sitting around. A month ago, junk metal was just junk. Now it's something I covet.

IMG_0454.JPG

I think I'll cut a piece off of it and use it to make Jinman's suggested ball mount for my box blade. I may not even add the side support pieces shown on Jim's drawing. I suspect this angle iron may support 500 lbs tongue weight by itself.

309837d1364162546-home-woods-1-hitchpad.jpg

/ At Home In The Woods
#5,050  
I'm finally starting to get to enjoy the porch we finished last fall as the weather turned cold. Here I am posting onto this thread on TBN. In front of me in the woods I can see and hear wild turkeys walking around scratching the leaves looking for food. The wild turkeys have become a regular part of our life here this spring. We suspect some of them may be from the brood that hatched in our back yard last year. I am also seeing bluebirds, nuthatches, phoebes, redpbellied woodpeckers, and downy woodpeckers as I type. Life is good.

View attachment 313143