At Home In The Woods

/ At Home In The Woods
#5,071  
Here's the winter spinach crop. My wife cut it up, filled up some ziplock freezer bags, and put them in the freezer.

IMG_0501.JPG

/ At Home In The Woods
#5,072  
If you recall, I tried to tack weld two 1/4" thick pieces of steel together without success. My welds were not penetrating the metal. My flux core welder was set to High current with the wire feed on the fastest setting.

So last night I practiced laying some beads on the 1/4" thick metal using various wire feed speeds. I rechecked my welder manual and a welding book. Both indicated that to get more penetration, I should increase the wire feed speed. The book said (for a Mig welder), increasing the wire feed speed will increase the current which will improve penetration. However, my failed tack weld attempts last time were done at the highest wire feed speed which just piled up the weld material on top of the metal without good penetraction.

I cleaned off my metal with the angle grinder.

IMG_0502.JPG

I then made some new practice beads. My first bead on the bottom of the picture below was made using the fastest wire feed (9.5 out of 9.5). Penetration was not good. The second bead from the bottom was made using a very slow wire feed speed (2 out of 9.5). Penetration was much better (contrary to the advice in the welder's manual). The third and fourth beads from the bottom were made using a middle wire feed setting (5 out of 9.5). The 5 speed setting seemed to make a good bead.

IMG_0514.JPG

Below you can see the penetration.

IMG_0515.JPG

I set my welder at 5 out of 9.5 and attempted more tack welds. My first new tack welds did not penetrate.

IMG_0503.JPG IMG_0504.JPG

I cleaned off the bad welds and tried again.The first weld got good penetration. Unfortunately, while welding the second tack weld, the metal pieces pulled apart leaving a gap.

IMG_0508.JPG IMG_0509.JPG

I cleaned off the metal and tried again. The first tack weld penetrated ok.

IMG_0510.JPG

The second tack weld did not penetrate.

IMG_0511.JPG

This time I did not clean off the existing tack welds and just welded another tack weld beside the previous weld. This one penetrated ok but resulted in a lot of extra metal.

IMG_0512.JPG IMG_0513.JPG

This is where I stopped. Next time I'm going to try to finish welding the two pieces together. I may lower the wire speed from 5 to maybe 2 or 3 on my first attempt.

/ At Home In The Woods #5,073  
Look up the speed for a hole saw in thicker steel... its going to be fairly slow, if you go to fast, you generate too much heat. The heat softens the metal and you can loose the sharpness in a single hole.

This is a critical point. If using a drill press, just set the speed and go, but a handheld drill must be manually controlled. It's very easy to go too fast with a hand drill.

/ At Home In The Woods
#5,074  
joshuabardwell said:
This is a critical point. If using a drill press, just set the speed and go, but a handheld drill must be manually controlled. It's very easy to go too fast with a hand drill.
I will be using a hand drill to drill the 1" dia. hole. Yes I will have to be careful to not drill to fast.
Obed

/ At Home In The Woods #5,075  
Evening Obed,

The welds. I don't think any of them show good penetration to be honest. Sorry. :(

You may be at the upper limit of the welder's capacity, melting a lot of wire but not really digging into the material because not enough heat is being generated to create a good puddle in that thickness of metal. That's my amateur's opinion.

A good bead on a tee weld would form a concave radius between the vertical and horizontal pieces, like you ran a bead of caulk down it, then wiped it with your finger. I would try grinding a 45* bevel on the end piece to about half its thickness. Then weld inside that bevel for the first pass after tacking both ends.

/ At Home In The Woods #5,076  
If you are not getting penetration - its time to bevel edges and do a root pass to penetrate then fill passes on both sides of root. Also I dont think you are moving the hand gun in a weave. If beveling is not working but helps - then you know the welder is not getting hot enough. I would do a fake weld above where you plan to weld to get the metal pieces hot then do the root ASAP. You should be clamping the metal pieces together if they are moving around that much until you gain experience in tacking pieces.

Since this is a Harborfreight welder and its cheap - I wonder if the spool wire is not up to snuff. try swapping it with a spool wire from hobart/miller or get one from a local welding store supply. you just need to google it for your area.

/ At Home In The Woods #5,077  
If you are not getting penetration - its time to bevel edges and do a root pass to penetrate then fill passes on both sides of root. Also I dont think you are moving the hand gun in a weave. If beveling is not working but helps - then you know the welder is not getting hot enough. I would do a fake weld above where you plan to weld to get the metal pieces hot then do the root ASAP. You should be clamping the metal pieces together if they are moving around that much until you gain experience in tacking pieces.

Since this is a Harborfreight welder and its cheap - I wonder if the spool wire is not up to snuff. try swapping it with a spool wire from hobart/miller or get one from a local welding store supply. you just need to google it for your area.

/ At Home In The Woods
#5,078  
I was able to get good penetration with my practice beads on the 1/4" thick metal as you can see below. Ignore the first bead on the left. It was made with the highest wire feed speed setting.

IMG_0515.JPG

However, I am struggling with penetration on my tack welds.

/ At Home In The Woods #5,079  
Try slowing down movement of your gun. You will concentrate the heat more in one area that way. Don't move the gun until you see the puddle formed and can push (or pull) it.

mkane09

/ At Home In The Woods #5,080  
Like others have said, try new wire first, but I am afraid you are just too limited by the welder output to be able to do much with this :(