/ At Home In The Woods
#5,101  
Alright obed, we need a pic of you wearing that snazzy helmet. :D

Here ya go Jay.

316234d1367700833-home-woods-img_0517.jpg

Obed

/ At Home In The Woods
#5,102  
The kitchen sink drain was leaking a tiny bit. I removed a plastic gasket and cleaned some gunk off of it. I reconnected the plastic drain pipe to the sink and snugged the nut hand tight. That seems to have fixed the leak --- for now.

IMG_0546.JPG IMG_0547.JPG

/ At Home In The Woods
#5,103  
I think your moving the torch or gun to fast esp if your useing a 3 wire speed on that machine. You need to be "weaving or stiching" the weld very slowly at that speed. I normally use about a 5-7 speed on that machine on the thickstuff i weld, maybe more like a 6, on thin stuff i am useing like a 3. I am no expert but i do have the same machine that you have. I use figure 8's when i weld and not circles or random patterns.
clemsonfor,

I was able get penetration with the speed setting on 5 for my practice welds on a flat plate. However, when I tried welding the T-joint on the 5 setting, the bead just built up on top instead of penetrating. Slowing down to 3 enabled me to get penetration.

Based on a passing remark in my welding book, I have a theory as to why my welds aren't penetrating the thicker metal on the faster wire speeds. According to my welding book, increasing the wire speed is supposed to increase the current and improve the penetration. On the thicker metal, I believe I am maxxing out the welder's current output. Thus, increasing the wire speed on the thicker metal isn't resulting in higher current like it is supposed to because the current output has already maxxed out. Thus higher speeds just mean the wire comes out faster than the available current can heat up the plate.

I'll try figure 8's and see how that goes. I've just been zig-zagging back and forth across the seam without any set pattern.

Obed

/ At Home In The Woods #5,106  
Off subject, but what did you end up doing to store your grease gun? You said you might use my pvc and kitty litter setup. I was greasing my mower today and was thinking about it....

Chris

/ At Home In The Woods
#5,107  
   / At Home In The Woods
#5,108  
Off subject, but what did you end up doing to store your grease gun? You said you might use my pvc and kitty litter setup. I was greasing my mower today and was thinking about it....Chris
Chris I haven't done anything yet. I do think I'll copy your PVC pipe grease gun holder when I get around to it.
Obed

/ At Home In The Woods
#5,109  
I've been wanting an illuminated light switch for our basement stairs for a while. I finally got around to buying one and installing it. Now there's no more groping around the insulation in the dark while trying to find the light switch.

IMG_0551.JPG IMG_0554.JPG

Installing this switch is an example of where it can be handy to be a DIYer. I probably would not go to the expense to hire an electrician to do this sort of little job.

/ At Home In The Woods #5,110  
Those switches are handy. I just never remember to pick up one or two when I am at the store. :)