Page 512 of 597 FirstFirst ... 12412462502509510511512513514515522562 ... LastLast
Results 5,111 to 5,120 of 5970
    Tractor
    John Deere 4210 FEL BH

Default Re: At Home In The Woods

I bucked up a little firewood yesterday. The weather turned out glorious although there was some light rain a couple times earlier in the day.

At Home In The Woods-img_0562-jpg

I got to use a Northern Tools $5 stump vice for the first time when I sharpened the chain.

At Home In The Woods-img_0567-jpg

I have several pine logs at the front of my log pile. There are more than I thought. It takes just as much time and effort to cut up pine as it does oak with half of the heat output. If I had a convenient place to drag off the pine logs I would do so. However, I don't. By the time I dragged them off to an out of the way place, I about could have cut them up and split them. So I'll just cut them up, split them, and burn them in the fireplace.

At Home In The Woods-img_0568-jpg
    John Deere 4210 (28 HP) FEL, BH, 6' Box Blade, Loader Forks

At Home In the Woods

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE Hydro

Obed, I'm not sure if this has been asked before. Since we also lived in one for several years do you ever miss the camper? Sometimes we do, not enough to chuck it all and go back in time, but it did have it's good points Simplicity has it's merits.........
    2008 KIOTI DK40Se Hydro
    1978 Sling Blade/wood handle

Tractor
    John Deere 4210 FEL BH

Quote Originally Posted by MotorSeven View Post
    Obed, I'm not sure if this has been asked before. Since we also lived in one for several years do you ever miss the camper? Sometimes we do, not enough to chuck it all and go back in time, but it did have it's good points Simplicity has it's merits.........
    Rick,
    That's an excellent question. Yes and no.

While living in the camper, I loved the simplicity. I didn't have to mow the lawn every week. I didn't have to paint the house, sweep the porch and concrete, weed the flowers, trim the bushes, etc. There was some maintenance required on the camper. We had to fix some plumbing, deal with cold weather water pipe issues, etc. Every couple of months I was on top of the camper trying to fix a new roof leak. The leaking roof was a big headache. However, we only had one bathroom to maintain and clean, one kitchen sink, and a total of 360 SF of living space to take care of. I had LOTS of time to do whatever I wanted. I could play golf, go mountain biking, get involved in community work as much as I wanted.

On the flip side, when living in a camper your are always the "oddball". People don't know exactly what to do with you. Some people are hesitant to spend time getting to know you figuring you might leave town at any time. Having people over is a challenge because you just can't fit many people in a camper. Caulking the roof every 6 or 8 weeks gets old pretty quick. It would be one thing if you know you are actually fixing the roof. Our camper had a flat roof so water was constantly looking for a new hole in the caulk. It wasn't possible to "fix" the roof; you could only "patch" it.

Also, our daughter was born while we were still living in the camper and building our house. She lived in the camper for her first year and that really wasn't hard at all. I'm afraid that the camper would be quite small now that our girl is 3 years old and running all over the place. And being a father doesn't lend itself well to all the playing I used to be able to do before being a dad. Being a dad is much more wonderful than all the golf and mountain biking a person could do. I hadn't played golf for years anyway before our daughter was born anyway so that part is no big deal.

Since I need to be at home more than I used to due to the daddy duties, it's just fine to mow the lawn, cut firewood, maintain the property, etc. instead of playing. But some of the property maintenance is still like playing anyway. I enjoy cutting firewood. It's satisfying to build a porch or add an illuminated light switch in the basement stairwell.

I think living in a camper, a modest house, or a mansion really is just window dressing. If you are unhappy living in a camper, you'll be unhappy living in a mansion. The important things in life are to experience a meaningful relationship with God, spend lots of time with your family, treat others like you'd like to be treated, be responsible, and don't worry about things that are outside of your control. I've been blessed and am really enjoying life right now, but my enjoyment has very little to do with where I live.

Obed

At Home In the Woods

Tractor
    Yanmar YM2000

you can say that again!!

I thought the double post issue was suppose to be getting resolved....like a year ago!!
    YM2000. MF dirt scoop,4' Jbar bushhog,boompole, LMC 12-16 disk harrow, 4' Atlas boxblade (with rippers). 1980 chevy K10,1990 ford ranger 2wd (285K miles),1997 saturn SL2 (twin cam!!),2001Toyota Higlander
    1986 Cobia 177 sunskiff w/1981 Johnson 60 hp
    1991 Javalen 17ft w/same year 150 Johnson GT
    Troybuilt 4 cycle & Echo 2 stroke,cold natured(need carb rebuild),MS390 Stihl, Northern tool pressure washer, mixes water into the oil in the pump(now dead, motor on a tiller). 5000 watt generator.

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE Hydro

Yes, that's pretty much how I sum it up. Les & I both get the itch to get on the road and travel, but with a "farm" it's not so easy finding a farmsitter Hmmm, there's a nich...FarmSitter.com
    2008 KIOTI DK40Se Hydro
    1978 Sling Blade/wood handle

Tractor
    John Deere 4210 FEL BH

Quote Originally Posted by MotorSeven View Post
    Yes, that's pretty much how I sum it up. Les & I both get the itch to get on the road and travel, but with a "farm" it's not so easy finding a farmsitter Hmmm, there's a nich...FarmSitter.com
    Yep, once you have animals (farm animals and/or pets), taking trips gets much harder to do. My dad has worked out a win-win with his Menonite neighbors that live next door. The neighbors get to pasture some of their cows on my dad's land in exchange for helping my dad take care of his cattle.

Obed

At Home In the Woods

Tractor
    John Deere 4210 FEL BH

My wife has planted her garden. She decided to "cut back" on her garden this summer season. So she only planted okra, squash, green beens, butter peas, tomatos, bell peppers, watermelon, cantelope, and a few other things I can't remember. So much for "cutting back"... she just couldn't help herself.

At Home In The Woods-img_0565-jpg At Home In The Woods-img_0566-jpg At Home In The Woods-img_0572-jpg At Home In The Woods-img_0573-jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails At Home In The Woods-img_0570-jpg  

At Home In the Woods

Tractor
    JD 4310

Quote Originally Posted by Obed View Post

I think living in a camper, a modest house, or a mansion really is just window dressing. If you are unhappy living in a camper, you'll be unhappy living in a mansion. The important things in life are to experience a meaningful relationship with God, spend lots of time with your family, treat others like you'd like to be treated, be responsible, and don't worry about things that are outside of your control. I've been blessed and am really enjoying life right now, but my enjoyment has very little to do with where I live.

Obed
    Can't say it much better than that my friend.
    Tororider
    John Deere 4310
    Frontier Finish Mower, Wallenstein Bx62 Chipper, front end pallet forks, KK 5' Rototiller

Check out my homestead blog at www.homesteaddad.com

Tractor
    John Deere 4210 FEL BH

I'm enjoying how green things are with all the rain we've had this spring.

At Home In The Woods-img_0575-jpg At Home In The Woods-img_0577-jpg

I really like this view. The garden area can be seen in the background.

Last fall we poisoned and reseeded much of the lawn that had weeds in it that we suspect came from the straw we used when we first planted the grass. Now we have a bunch of clover in the grass. I suspect the grass seed we bought had lots of unwanted clover seeds in it. Can't win for loosin'! You cant really see the clover in these pictures because the grass was freshly cut. However, the clover is there and turns much of the lawn white as the clover flowers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails At Home In The Woods-img_0576-jpg  

At Home In the Woods

Tractor
    Kubota BX-23

you can always spray your lawn with 2-4-d to kill off the clover. I think that it takes at least two growing seasons to get a lawn looking nice. I redid half my lawn last spring, and this year, it looks better, but I still have some clover and other weeds that I'll be working on getting rid of through the year.
    Kubota BX-23

Page 512 of 597 FirstFirst ... 12412462502509510511512513514515522562 ... LastLast