At Home In The Woods

/ At Home In The Woods #5,141  
Dont think i would beleive that!!! I mean grass grows under trees in some areas! Grass will grow in the back of a pickup truck in a wet tshirt and other junk. It may not do as well or be yellowed due to the PH not allowing the uptake of some nutrients as they are bound up in the soil at a low ph, but not growing, think thats a wives tale?

/ At Home In The Woods #5,142  
But, whether you appreciate the beauty and benefits of clover, or not, I would not apply poisons for purely aesthetic reasons. There are too many known and suspected human and animal health factors having environmental origins to use chemicals for non-essential reasons.

I'm with ya on that Dave. I have used 2-4-D and a few others in the past on my pastures and was not happy with the results. On top of that the little voice kept saying, "this stuff can't be good for critters" so I do my weed control via brushhog & mower.

/ At Home In The Woods
#5,143  
I'm not thrilled about poisons either. But we are not idealistic regarding them and will occassionally use them. You could make the argument that clover in a lawn does not justify the use of poison and I would have to say that argument would have a lot of validity. Yes I could keep the lawn mowed short enough and frequently enough so that the white flowers don't show. However, that would require mowing every 7 days, something I'm not willing to do. My mowing schedule is every 10 - 14 days depending on how tall the grass gets. So I either poison or look at the white flowers.

Obed

/ At Home In The Woods
#5,144  
The dehumidifier in the basement stopped working about a month ago. It runs all the time but doesn't remove any water. It came with a 1 year warrantee. It broke 13 months after we bought it. Yesterday I called the manufacturer and they told me to send it back to them. They provided a return shipping label and are paying for shipping. The woman on the phone said they would either fix it or replace it. We paid $320 for it including shipping.

IMG_0593.JPG

I will probably buy another dehumidifier anyway. Our basement might be a bit large for only one. Also, I'm not thrilled about going another month without any moisture removal in the basement during this very wet spring we are having.

Last edited:
   / At Home In The Woods #5,145  
Obed
like others have said for this year just put up with the little white flowers (clover)
in aug. plug aerate and over seed at least in the heavy clover areas
next spring after cutting 3 1/2 to 4" tall the clover should die out some and your fescue will take over

/ At Home In The Woods #5,146  
Obed
like others have said for this year just put up with the little white flowers (clover)
next spring after cutting 3 1/2 to 4" tall the clover should die out some and your fescue will take over

/ At Home In The Woods
#5,147  
Obed
Beltman60,
It would be great if we could control the clover without poison. The trouble with seeding is I believe that's where we got the clover. We now have heavy patches of clover after reseeding last fall. We did not have clover before. Our neighbors don't have clover. Is it possible to get "good" grass seed?
Obed

/ At Home In The Woods
#5,148  
I moved my welding classroom to the basement back porch. My wife didn't like the smells my welding and grinding created in the basement. Also, I was making loud noise under my daughter's bedroom which meant I couldn't practice welding while she was sleeping (naps and evenings).

IMG_0587.JPG IMG_0586.JPG

More pitiful tack welds. I ended up grinding one of them off. The other held well enough to keep my angle iron from bending at the weld joint during cooling.

IMG_0583.JPG IMG_0584.JPG

Last edited:
   / At Home In The Woods #5,149  
pennington makes some great seed
a bit pricey
I think I paid $58. for 40# bag but I didn't have but fescue

/ At Home In The Woods #5,150  
I moved my welding classroom to the basement back porch. My wife didn't like the smells my welding and grinding created in the basement. Also, I was making loud noise under my daughter's bedroom which meant I couldn't practice welding while she was sleeping (naps and evenings).

View attachment 318960 View attachment 318961

More pitiful tack welds. I ended up grinding one of them off. The other held well enough to keep my angle iron from bending at the weld joint during cooling.

View attachment 318962 View attachment 318963

You really should not be welding where the vapor and gases can be breathed in my your family, that stuff is not good for anyones health!! Thats the reason welder in enclosed spaces are suppose to wear respirators