At Home In The Woods

/ At Home In The Woods #5,182  
While we were sitting at the table eating breakfast, it was raining heavily outside....

Installing the ladder stabilizer at the top of the ladder and putting the ladder levelers at the bottom of the ladder were certainly wonderful attachments. The increased confidence I have in climbing to the top of a 24' high wall is remarkable.

Hi Obed,

I have been meaning to get the stabilizer for the top of my ladder, and also (because we live in a raised ranch set into a hill, with significant slopes on three sides) about some type of levelers. What kind do you have (?pictures?) and where did you buy them, if you remember.

I have been reading a lot older TBN posts, like 4-shorts' BX mods threads, and saw your posts there- you do ask great questions, and I am learning a lot vicariously about welding etc from your progress- so thanks!

Thomas

/ At Home In The Woods #5,183  
I got a ladder stabilizer from lowes for like $20, i took it home cut it in 2 then bolted it to my trailer and put pvc on the uprights to serve as guide post to load and unload my boat!!! ;-)

I think you can prolly get them on amazon for the same thing shipped to your house free.

/ At Home In The Woods
#5,184  
Hi Obed,

I have been meaning to get the stabilizer for the top of my ladder, and also (because we live in a raised ranch set into a hill, with significant slopes on three sides) about some type of levelers. What kind do you have (?pictures?) and where did you buy them, if you remember.

I have been reading a lot older TBN posts, like 4-shorts' BX mods threads, and saw your posts there- you do ask great questions, and I am learning a lot vicariously about welding etc from your progress- so thanks!

Thomas
Thomas,
Sorry for being so slow to respond. Please see below for the answers to your questions. I looked at the ladder stabilizers at Lowes and didn't like them because they only extended the ladder 1 foot away from the wall of the house. I needed to extend the ladder 2 feet away from the wall so I could access the gutters; our house has 2 foot eaves. The Louisville Ladders stabilizer fit the bill. Also, the ladder levelers I bought give you an infinite amount of adjustment. All the other levelers I saw only allowed you to change the leveling amounts in 1" increments.

Obed

The TBN safety inspectors gave me a hard time here when I cleaned my gutters last year.

View attachment 287793View attachment 287794

I recently ordered these ladder levelers Louisville Ladder LP-2300-00 Ladder Leveler for $59.00. They got very good reviews on Amazon. Some of the levellers only extended 8" which probably wouldn't be long be enough for me. The levelers I just ordered extend to 15". The levelers weren't hard to install. I had to drill 8 holes through the ladder and install 8 bolts. The hardest part was trying to drill the holes so that the levelers would not be attached askew.

View attachment 287792

Maybe this year cleaning my gutters will be a little less like a "circus act".

Yesterday I had the day off from my regular job. After returning home from the fireplace store, I cleaned out the 2 story gutter. I attached the Louisville Ladders stabilizer to my ladder without any trouble. The stabilizer made the ladder much more steady. I still didn't like climbing that high but there's not much I can do about that part of the job. I can probably put up with cleaning the gutters 2 or 3 times a year. Having the ladder stabilizer really helps.

I raked up the leaves that came out of the gutters and removed them.

It's gutter cleaning time again.

Shortly after climbing up to the top the fully extended ladder, I felt something. I looked down and saw that my little girl was starting to climb up the ladder. We quickly rectified that situation.

View attachment 291335View attachment 291334View attachment 291336View attachment 291337

I got to try out my new ladder levelers. I LOVE THEM! These levelers are really easy to adjust. The combination of the levelers at the bottom and the stabilizer/standoff at the top made the ladder very stable. I found myself adjusting the levelers even when on the "level" ground. A 1/2" dip in the ground can make a big difference 24' up the ladder. After using these levelers once, I wouldn't own a tall ladder without them.

View attachment 291340View attachment 291341

Cleaning the gutters around the big dormer on the back side of the house was not fun. I had to climb down the roof to the dormer and pull the leaves out the gutters with a broom handle. I left 2 feet of leaves in the farthest end of the gutters. It just wasn't worth the risk to try to reach them.

View attachment 291338View attachment 291342View attachment 291339View attachment 291343

/ At Home In The Woods
#5,185  
Hi Obed,

Thomas
Thomas,
Sorry for being so slow to respond. Please see below for the answers to your questions. If you follow the links to the original posts you may be able to see the pictures easier. The link to the levelers is below. I can't remember where I bought the stabilizer; I bought it online somewhere.

I looked at the ladder stabilizers at Lowes and didn't like them because they only extended the ladder 1 foot away from the wall of the house. I needed to extend the ladder 2 feet away from the wall so I could access the gutters; our house has 2 foot eaves. The Louisville Ladders stabilizer fit the bill.

The ladder levelers I bought give you an infinite amount of adjustment. All the other levelers I saw only allowed you to change the leveling amounts in 1" increments.

Obed

The TBN safety inspectors gave me a hard time here when I cleaned my gutters last year.

View attachment 287793View attachment 287794

I recently ordered these ladder levelers Louisville Ladder LP-2300-00 Ladder Leveler for $59.00. They got very good reviews on Amazon. Some of the levellers only extended 8" which probably wouldn't be long be enough for me. The levelers I just ordered extend to 15". The levelers weren't hard to install. I had to drill 8 holes through the ladder and install 8 bolts. The hardest part was trying to drill the holes so that the levelers would not be attached askew.

View attachment 287792

Maybe this year cleaning my gutters will be a little less like a "circus act".

Yesterday I had the day off from my regular job. After returning home from the fireplace store, I cleaned out the 2 story gutter. I attached the Louisville Ladders stabilizer to my ladder without any trouble. The stabilizer made the ladder much more steady. I still didn't like climbing that high but there's not much I can do about that part of the job. I can probably put up with cleaning the gutters 2 or 3 times a year. Having the ladder stabilizer really helps.

I raked up the leaves that came out of the gutters and removed them.

It's gutter cleaning time again.

Shortly after climbing up to the top the fully extended ladder, I felt something. I looked down and saw that my little girl was starting to climb up the ladder. We quickly rectified that situation.

View attachment 291335View attachment 291334View attachment 291336View attachment 291337

I got to try out my new ladder levelers. I LOVE THEM! These levelers are really easy to adjust. The combination of the levelers at the bottom and the stabilizer/standoff at the top made the ladder very stable. I found myself adjusting the levelers even when on the "level" ground. A 1/2" dip in the ground can make a big difference 24' up the ladder. After using these levelers once, I wouldn't own a tall ladder without them.

View attachment 291340View attachment 291341

Cleaning the gutters around the big dormer on the back side of the house was not fun. I had to climb down the roof to the dormer and pull the leaves out the gutters with a broom handle. I left 2 feet of leaves in the farthest end of the gutters. It just wasn't worth the risk to try to reach them.

View attachment 291338View attachment 291342View attachment 291339View attachment 291343

/ At Home In The Woods #5,186  
you can say that again!!

Still cant beleive were dealing with the Double post issue. Ok back to Obed thread.

/ At Home In The Woods #5,187  
Whoa - the thread was all the way back on page 4. That is NOT acceptable Obed. People have to know what you are up to now a days. Did your weld hold ? Did the deer enjoy the plants your wife provided for them ?

Don't forget about your fans.

/ At Home In The Woods #5,188  
I was thinking he must of went on vacation or has been busy with summer and the little one or a combination of the two and playing catch up?

I too have missed the updates he provides. YOu grow use to see whats going on around his place you kind of miss it. Strange i know cause most of it is such random stuff...cleaning gutters, building shelves, new light switch??? I never thought that kind of stuff would be what i would spend time reading about but i clearly am!! I do it all my self as well and its just life tasks.

Maybe thats why i watch the home shows about fixing and updating?

/ At Home In The Woods #5,189  
I was thinking he must of went on vacation or has been busy with summer and the little one or a combination of the two and playing catch up?

I too have missed the updates he provides. YOu grow use to see whats going on around his place you kind of miss it. Strange i know cause most of it is such random stuff...cleaning gutters, building shelves, new light switch??? I never thought that kind of stuff would be what i would spend time reading about but i clearly am!! I do it all my self as well and its just life tasks.

Maybe thats why i watch the home shows about fixing and updating?

/ At Home In The Woods #5,190  
Maybe thats why i watch the home shows about fixing and updating? Same here. I do like when they show new products to fix things around the house. I'm sure I'm like most men I don't browse in a hardware store. I just go in and buy what I need and leave.

A TV show based on new product demonstrations would be interesting and educational at the same time. It would definitely beat out the crap they feed us now a days.