At Home In The Woods

/ At Home In The Woods #5,351  
I'd be careful with the sprinkler and car. We have cats and they tend to spa when scared. A sprinkler cutting on will scare them either with sound and or water. They dig their claws in and spin out to get away. How do I know. We have 7 inside, just ask my hardwood floors!!! The darn things scare each other, something falling over. Or outside.

/ At Home In The Woods #5,352  
I'd be careful with the sprinkler and car. We have cats and they tend to spa when scared. A sprinkler cutting on will scare them either with sound and or water. They dig their claws in and spin out to get away. How do I know. We have 7 inside, just ask my hardwood floors!!! The darn things scare each other, something falling over. Or outside.

On my 98 Tucoma, or the wife's 05 Prius, I really don't care about the fur, sand and cat prints. But we just bought a newer used Camry, and it still looks good. My shed has a dirt floor, so the sand is worse when I park it under there. But we just tore out some carpet at work. I'm going to get some of it to roll out under the shed. Maybe that will help.

We have around 8 or 10 outside cats. They are mousers, with only a couple of them tame enough to pet. There are only two fool proof ways to keep them off the car. I can't afford a closed garage, and I couldn't stand to shoot them. Our old tom had gone off and got himself wounded pretty bad a few months back. While he was laid up, a young healthy tom moved in and took over. They fought day and night, but our tom wasn't able to chase the young one off. I tried chasing the young one, but he wouldn't stay chased, and there was not going to be any peace until there was only one tom. So I was forced to kill him. Didn't like it a bit, even if he was causing our cat ranch to be disrupted.

/ At Home In The Woods #5,353  
I'd be careful with the sprinkler and car. We have cats and they tend to spa when scared. A sprinkler cutting on will scare them either with sound and or water. They dig their claws in and spin out to get away. How do I know. We have 7 inside, just ask my hardwood floors!!! The darn things scare each other, something falling over. Or outside. If u do it don't let them be on your car when it goes on.

/ At Home In The Woods
#5,354  
Thanks for the info. {I still haven't read the whole thread, but I'm working on it} I will check on prices. It looks like it would have the added value of keeping the cats off my car. That would be worth the money just to watch.

We spent about $120 on two rolls of dog wire, and have half of the second roll still unused. Using the steel posts, it is simple to take down in the fall. Or, like I did when I added melons, make your garden bigger. Since my BIL works at Lowe's, I get a good price on stuff. I will have to check and see if they carry the motion detector sprinkler. But even with his savings, it would most likely still be cheaper online.
For me, the big advantage was not having to fence the garden. I like being able to get into the garden area with the tractor if I want to.
Obed

/ At Home In The Woods
#5,355  
My wife picked up some leaf mulch that is free from a county that is adjacent to our county. At certain times of the day, they will load your truck for you with a loader.

Here's our original pile of leaf mulch before we added to it.

IMG_0758.JPG

I pushed the original pile back to make room for the additional mulch. Having a tractor sure is handy.

IMG_0759.JPG IMG_0760.JPG IMG_0761.JPG

While unloading a truck bed full of mulch doesn't sound that hard, it took a solid hour in the summer heat to drag all the mulch out of the truck.

IMG_0762.JPG IMG_0764.JPG IMG_0765.JPG

Notice I am donning a bandana. For my whole life, I have struggled with having sweat drop from my forehead onto my glasses when working in warm weather. That's one reason I wear long sleaves when working outside, even in the summer. I wipe the sweat from my forhead with a sleave. When I visited MotorSeven a while back, I noticed that he was wearing a bandana while he was working on his log house. I finally tried wearing a bandana to soak up the sweat before it drips onto my glasses. It worked awesome. I can't say I really like looking like a hippy but I'm now a bandana convert.

/ At Home In The Woods #5,357  
Bandana..aka "Do-rag"...and yes without one I can't see anything in the summer. Plus, always keep a jug of cold water with you, dip the do-rag into the water, wring it out and put it back on your head for some natural "air conditioning". Keeping you head cool is the second step next to hydration if you want to keep the heat stroke wolf away...it works even in this high humidity we have been having lately.

Now, if you are going for the really "cool factor" you will have to add a nice Maduro Churchill Sosa Cigar from the Dominicamn Republic:D:
CraneampRafterDay105.jpg

/ At Home In The Woods #5,359  
Obed, I didn't see that mulch pile on Google earth pic of your place???? I'll have to go back and check. Haha just kidding!! ;-)

/ At Home In The Woods #5,360  
I put a temporary fence around my garden each yr, with tposts and vinyl covered wire. Your girl is growing up. I can't believe how fast mine have grown up, where does the time go.