At Home In The Woods

/ At Home In The Woods #5,392  
I saw an unbelievable video a year or so ago. Some guy developed a table saw that would stop INSTANTLY when the blade came in contact with flesh. He actually did a personal demo ... amazing.

I saw where they tested it with a hotdog. It barely scratched it. The cost of adding this to all saws would be small. But all the big companies are fighting it. As clumsy as I am, if I bought new saws, I would pay extra for it. But I have all my father's old woodworking tools. Since I don't do near the woodworking he used to do, the cost of new equipment would be a waste of money.

/ At Home In The Woods #5,393  
, I took a couple steps while the chain was slowing down but hadn't yet come to a stop ... Next time I'll probably make sure the chain is not moving before taking any steps.

Just bump the chain brake on before you start moving. When you are ready to cut again, reset the chain brake.

With regards to safety equipment, sometimes I find certain safety devices "less safe" than not having them.

Safety gear is always a balance between risk and reward. In your case, wearing impact resistant corrective lenses (almost all plastic eyeglasses are impact resistant these days) probably was enough protection. Adding the extra protection against debris from the side, with inexpensive non-fog resistant goggles added minor increase in eye safety at dramatically increase hand/finger risk.

/ At Home In The Woods #5,394  
sawstop. Yes its very good tech.

I looked at this brand, great idea. The cartridges are $75 a piece and trip when an object with moisture in it. Salesman said no damp wood or metal, will trip the cartridge and you are out $75.

/ At Home In The Woods #5,395  
I saw an unbelievable video a year or so ago. Some guy developed a table saw that would stop INSTANTLY when the blade came in contact with flesh. He actually did a personal demo ... amazing.

I had a secretary whose husband was a nice fellow and a computer IT guy by profession; my secy. told me her husband had bought a table saw since he wanted to do some woodworking ...she wanted to know if I would give him some pointers since she knew I worked with wood...So I had a meeting with Charles and told him him about the value of using a Push Stick among all the other cautions and how injuries tended to be permanent loss of all or part of a finger or arm....He said he understood and appreciated the time I spent with him...

The first time my secy. said he cut the tip of his right index finger clean off...the second time it was a pinkie finger , about 1/2 of it on the same hand ...the third time ....I could see she was upset and asked her if anything was bothering her and she said Charles had told her not to tell me...She told me anyway...the cut the tip of his ring finger off on the same hand...his right hand...As it turns out he never did make or use a push stick....She made him sell the table saw...

/ At Home In The Woods #5,396  
Good thing he sold it. It wasn't going to be long before he started losing parts critical to his wife!

/ At Home In The Woods #5,399  
Good thing he sold it. It wasn't going to be long before he started losing parts critical to his wife!

I don't understand. Wouldn't he keep his wallet in his back pocket?