At Home In The Woods

/ At Home In The Woods
#5,431  
We bought a rental house. That's been keeping me busy. The house is less than 2 miles from our property.

205.jpg

Last edited:
   / At Home In The Woods #5,432  
That is a nice looking place. I used to rent a couple of our houses. It can turn into a major PITA. We have sold one, and may end up selling the other. My advice is to charge enough rent to weed out any trouble makers. Good luck.

/ At Home In The Woods
#5,433  
This shower has been quite a job. The shower is a cheap plastic insert that was placed inside an existing concrete block walled shower in the basement.

IMG_0014.JPG IMG_0016.JPG

The shower pan was cracked so I had to remove the entire shower. When I removed the shower faucet handles and parts, I didn't realize I was actually removing the under water pressure valves. One of the valves popped out and water started spraying everywhere. I had to race to the street to turn off the water.

IMG_0019.JPG IMG_0020.JPG IMG_0018.JPG

/ At Home In The Woods
#5,434  
The original framing for this shower insert was a real hack job. Many of the 2x4s were just screwed to the plywood on one end but there was nothing attaching the other end of the 2x4s to the contrete wall. The farthest ends of the plywood were just hanging in mid-air without anything attaching them to the concrete walls. I debated over and over whether or not to improve the framing. I finally decided to fix the framing which increased the size of the job.

IMG_0046.JPG IMG_0047.JPG

The plastic shower pan was sitting on a 2x6 frame sitting inside the old shower. The plastic pan had very little support which probably caused the cracks in the shower pan.

IMG_0048.JPG

/ At Home In The Woods
#5,435  
That is a nice looking place. I used to rent a couple of our houses. It can turn into a major PITA. We have sold one, and may end up selling the other. My advice is to charge enough rent to weed out any trouble makers. Good luck.
Larro,
I like this house; I would be plenty happy living in it. It's almost too nice for a rental. We bought it at an estate auction. The previous owners lived in it for 45 years. They were apparently non-smokers and there are no pet odors in the house.

This rental house will help us decided whether or not we want to do more rental houses. I have no faith in the stock market and really need some way to invest for retirement. We'll find out whether or not we are willing to put up with the headache.

Obed

/ At Home In The Woods #5,436  
Obed,

No pictures of the water spray? 😄

We have a rental out of necessity not choice. We bought high and rented when we moved. Luckily we have great renters. I like you have no faith in the economy short to medium term. Good luck.

/ At Home In The Woods #5,437  
I didn't have my finger in the chainsaw trigger. I was cutting sapplings and briars. After making a swipe with the saw, I took a couple steps while the chain was slowing down but hadn't yet come to a stop. The chainsaw was in my left hand. Next time I'll probably make sure the chain is not moving before taking any steps.

Yes, chaps would definitely be safer.

With regards to safety equipment, sometimes I find certain safety devices "less safe" than not having them. For example, I was using a circular saw, I think, the other day and put on safety goggles. The goggles quickly fogged up making visibility with the saw almost impossible. I ended up chunking the goggles and relied on my regular glasses for eye protection. Safety goggles don't help much if you can't see while using a dangerous tool.

Obed
The correct technique is to put the chain brake on when your stopped or when you move. Its a pain, but u form a habit. I use to have it but have stopped over the Yeats myself and need to redevelop it.

/ At Home In The Woods #5,438  
good luck on the rental, nice looking house.

/ At Home In The Woods
#5,439  
Tororider said:
Obed,

No pictures of the water spray? ?de04

We have a rental out of necessity not choice. We bought high and rented when we moved. Luckily we have great renters. I like you have no faith in the economy short to medium term. Good luck.
Yes, a lot of people got caught in that situation. I feel for you.

It's not the economy I mistrust; it's the stock market that I don't trust.

/ At Home In The Woods #5,440  
So what about the stock market don't you trust?
Are you or have you been invested in it in the past/present?
The housing 'market' isn't a very trustworthy place to invest, just in case you missed what's gone on since say 2007- now:confused2::confused3::)

BTW, a plastic shower base, or a better fiberglass base, ought to be placed over a bed of mortar mix/quickcrete, (something along those lines- I can't remember the correct mix at this moment) to keep it solid and quiet, and from cracking/breaking.
You get what you pay for in a shower surround and base. Cheap crap is NOT the way to go. Shutoffs, easily accessible in the house, close to the shower too. And if you do any toilet replacements use 1/4 turn shutoffs NOT faucet type knobs; they, 1/4 turns are the cat's wiskers- all my plumbers switched to them, and have never looked back.
At one time I owned 12 toilets in 5 different houses, phew! What a nightmare! Now down to 7 in two houses, one barn. Better!

Last edited: