At Home In The Woods

/ At Home In The Woods #5,951  
looks like it's bending up, so cutting from underneath would pinch the bar.

if what you say is true your correct. He needs a bow bar :)

I didnt look at the pic slose enough and blow it up i guess?

/ At Home In The Woods #5,952  
Obed, I just finished reading your entire thread and the job you and your wife has done is absolutely awesome! When I got to the welding part I wanted to chime in, if you get the chance go to a welding supply that will allow you to try the equipment and try out a different hood. I had a HF hood for about ten years, did a lot of welding with it at work and home and when it died I needed one right then so I ended up buying a 3 m E-glas hood. It is the equivalent to replacing a Poulan saw with a Sthil.

/ At Home In The Woods
#5,953  
Now that I can post pictures, continuing where I left off...

I removed what limbs I safely could from the top of the leaning tree.

View attachment 441166 View attachment 441167 View attachment 441168

I then tried to cut the trunk about 10 feet from the root ball thinking the tree would fall to the ground. Nothing doing. The angular force of the top of the tree just pushed the two pieces of the trunk together. In fact, the tree trunk started raising, not falling. Next step - go watch youtube to get some instruction on how to bring down a tree leaning against another tree.

View attachment 441169 View attachment 441170 View attachment 441171 View attachment 441172

looks like it's bending up, so cutting from underneath would pinch the bar.

obed, Did you ever get that tree down?

Yes, I did get the tree down. It required cutting the leaning tree trunk at an angle so the tree could slide freely off the stump. I don't think I would have figured it out without youtube.
IMG_1228.JPG IMG_1229.JPG

/ At Home In The Woods
#5,954  
Obed, I just finished reading your entire thread and the job you and your wife has done is absolutely awesome! When I got to the welding part I wanted to chime in, if you get the chance go to a welding supply that will allow you to try the equipment and try out a different hood. I had a HF hood for about ten years, did a lot of welding with it at work and home and when it died I needed one right then so I ended up buying a 3 m E-glas hood. It is the equivalent to replacing a Poulan saw with a Sthil.

Dieseljeeper, I guess I hadn't considered the problem seeing while welding might just be the fact that I have a cheap hood. Thanks for the suggestion.

/ At Home In The Woods
#5,955  
The same storm knocked down a tree at the edge of the front yard. Unfortunately, it was also leaning against another tree.

IMG_1238.JPG IMG_1239.JPG IMG_1240.JPG

After cutting the trunk near the stump at an angle, this tree didn't fall. What I didn't realize was that the tree was lying on the tall stump of a smaller tree that the big tree had broken off.

IMG_1345.JPG IMG_1362.JPG IMG_1353.JPG

I cleaned out the top of the tree before attempting to cut the trunk again.

IMG_1348.JPG IMG_1350.JPG IMG_1352.JPG

Then I got my saw stuck in the trunk!

IMG_1356.JPG IMG_1357.JPG

I removed the chainsaw engine from the bar, then finished the cut with my spare Poulan.

IMG_1358.JPG IMG_1360.JPG

After topping the tree, the trunk still wouldn't roll of the tall stump so I made another cut to make the trunk pieces small enough I could maneuver.

IMG_1365.JPG IMG_1364.JPG IMG_1363.JPG IMG_1366.JPG

Finishing up.

IMG_1444.JPG IMG_1449.JPG IMG_1451.JPG

/ At Home In The Woods #5,956  
Happy New Year. Good job on getting those trees cleaned up. You are getting more of a view than you counted on. But on the plus side, you will have lots of firewood. {Your helper is growing up}

Sometimes with a stuck saw, lifting the end of the log a couple of inches with your FEL will be enough to turn it loose.

/ At Home In The Woods
#5,957  
Happy New Year. Good job on getting those trees cleaned up. You are getting more of a view than you counted on. But on the plus side, you will have lots of firewood. {Your helper is growing up}

Sometimes with a stuck saw, lifting the end of the log a couple of inches with your FEL will be enough to turn it loose.
Larro, Happy New Year to you too. I took my time cleaning up the second tree as there was nothing pressing me to get it done. No shortage of firewood, that's for sure. I did lift a log with the FEL last week to free up the saw. That log was lying completely on the ground and was easily accessible with the FEL.

Today we just started the first fire of the season in the fireplace. Temps were in the 70's over Christmas. But things are cooler today and it was nice to come home and sit in front of a hot fire.

Yes, my helper is growing fast, too fast. But she's more and more fun every day.

Obed

/ At Home In The Woods #5,958  
Obed,

Great stuff going on in this thread. I've been following it for some time.

Please do yourself and family a favor and get some safety equipment for all this saw work your doing.

At a minimum eye pro, gloves, helmet and a pair of chaps.

Object moved

I almost freaked out seeing you cut that trunk above chest height with your support hand no where near the chain brake., one kickback and that saw is coming right into your head and shoulder area.

That chain runs a mile a minute; google chainsaw injury pictures, one mistake can ruin all you've worked for

You've got some beautiful property there; play it safe so you're able to enjoy it. J

Last edited:
   / At Home In The Woods #5,960  
Obed, good to hear from you again. your helper sure is getting growing up. Congrats on getting the tree down safe.