At Home In The Woods

/ At Home In The Woods
Congratulations on your baby! I can understand your desire to get into your new home.
Dave.

Thanks Dave. The wife and I have adjusted fairly well to the close quarters in the camper all these years. However, I'm betting the baby is going to make the camper feel mighty small.

Obed

/ At Home In The Woods #52  
Thanks Dave. The wife and I have adjusted fairly well to the close quarters in the camper all these years. However, I'm betting the baby is going to make the camper feel mighty small.

Obed

Yeah, the list of baby support items is a long one. Crib, changing table maybe, high chair, car seat, 60 cubic feet min. for all the toys grand parents and family send, diapers, clothes, etc. It is downright impressive :) And all that's before the baby learns to crawl or walk :D
Dave.

/ At Home In The Woods #53  
We spent 6-8 weeks last fall in our 5er, that's me, wifey and a 3 year old. The 5th wheel is a nice sized one at 37' but it was really great, most the time! Weather held out pretty well only had to run the heater a week or so. We spent about 1 month on our land with a generator. We ran the generator as needed to charge the battery thru the day and 2-3 hours of evening TV. We hauled water to shower/cook/drink in a 32 gallon trash can with a can liner and used a siphon hose to put it in the holding tank. Hmmmm.

Holding tanks. Now that was another story but we took care of the business and let me tell you I HATE those little blue totes if you must know... I LOVE honey dippers (and Baker Septic here in Grayson KY is AWESOME!!! Above and beyond and he is #1 in the #2 business!).

It was a great experience. The 3 year old asked nearly every night, "daddy, are we camping again?"

/ At Home In The Woods
Our 5th wheel is 36 ft long with one slideout. We insulate the waterhose from the spigot to the camper and run heat-tape inside the insulation. The coldest weather we've experienced was 7 degrees. The water did freeze on us that night. With temps in the teens we do pretty well without freezing as long as we drip the water in the sinks. At times, the bathroom froze when the kitchen did not. We found a susceptible spot in the "basement" (the storage area below the bathroom) where the pipes tended to freeze. On very cold nights, we place a small electric heater in the basement and that normally keeps the bathroom water from freezing. We run two oil filled electric space heaters in the camper living spaces. Our propane furnace has developed an intermittent noise in the fan so we rarely use it.

Attachments

• IMG_0465.JPG
    IMG_0465.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG_0466.JPG
    IMG_0466.JPG
    189.8 KB · Views: 480
  • IMG_0467.JPG
    IMG_0467.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 412
   / At Home In The Woods #55  
Russ, just curious. Did you have any dogs around? How effective are dogs at keeping deer out of a garden?

Due to the woods, I'm sure the deer are going to be a challenge for the garden. We plan on getting a dog after we move onto the property, maybe a German Shepherd. I hope we can let the dog roam free. However, if the dog starts roaming the adjacent neighborhood, we'll have to lock it up.

I am sorry I can't give a real answer. We did not have a dog when the first incident happened. We got one now. She actually looks very scary, an 80 lb. Rot, and black and tan mix, but if you get near and she does not know you she will lay at your feet and whine. She will occasionally bark at the deer but usually does not get off the deck, oh and did I tell you she is lazy to! Great dog however. One thing to remember about dogs is that they have poor eye site. If they can't smell the dear the deer can eat your garden practically a few feet away from the dog.

Russ

/ At Home In The Woods
My wife worked with a designer and created the house plans. It took the better part of a year. After finishing the plans, it was decided that the house was too big and she started over. The designer was very patient. He is a retired draftsman who was in no hurry. So the second house plan was finished. Then the wife got pregnant and guess what? She changed the house plans again. We were going to have 2 bedrooms on the main floor, plus a dining room with a closet that could be called ad 3rd bedroom. If we ever finished to attic or basement, we could get more bedrooms. However, with Junior on the way, the wife wanted all 3 bedrooms on the main floor. So the house plans changed again.

Attachments

• IMG_2341 (Large).JPG
    IMG_2341 (Large).JPG
    113 KB · Views: 852
Last edited:
   / At Home In The Woods
The tractor has really come in handy with the house project. I really don't know what I'd do at this point without it. I'd have to pay someone to do all kinds of little things. For example, I needed to move this pile of topsoil that was scraped off the house site to another place out of the way. Now I can use this topsoil at my leisure. That wouldn't have been the case without the tractor.

Attachments

• IMG_2350.JPG
    IMG_2350.JPG
    205.5 KB · Views: 675
   / At Home In The Woods
I needed to prep this spot so that the well drillers could park their rig and drill the well. Once again, the tractor made the task not just easy, but also fun. These pictures were taken in August of this year (2009).

Attachments

• IMG_2355.JPG
    IMG_2355.JPG
    204 KB · Views: 678
  • IMG_2354.JPG
    IMG_2354.JPG
    211.3 KB · Views: 644
  • IMG_2249.JPG
    IMG_2249.JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 500
   / At Home In The Woods
In September, the well was dug. We have the option for city water but we prefer well water if the water is good. We hit good water without iron or sulfur. Yay! At one point during the drilling, some pressure in the well sent up a bunch of mud out of the well. You can see the results. The well is a little over 300 ft deep. The steel casing goes down 200 feet. Cost was somewhere between 10K and 12K including drilling, materials, pump, pressure tank, and installation.

Attachments

• IMG_2378.JPG
    IMG_2378.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 625
  • IMG_2383.JPG
    IMG_2383.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 551
  • IMG_2384.JPG
    IMG_2384.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 541
  • IMG_2388.JPG
    IMG_2388.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 608
  • IMG_2412.JPG
    IMG_2412.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 664
  • IMG_2408.JPG
    IMG_2408.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 626
  • IMG_2405.JPG
    IMG_2405.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 698
  • IMG_2402.JPG
    IMG_2402.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 723
   / At Home In The Woods
Here are the pump installation pictures. You can see the pitless adapter that runs through the pump casing 2 feet below. The pressure tank is temporary. Once the house dried in, a permanent pressure tank will be installed in the basement.

Attachments

• IMG_2455 (Small).JPG
    IMG_2455 (Small).JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 514
  • IMG_2460.JPG
    IMG_2460.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 465
  • IMG_2464 (Small).JPG
    IMG_2464 (Small).JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 499
  • IMG_2469.JPG
    IMG_2469.JPG