GFI ?????????

/ GFI ????????? #1  

Kays Supply

Veteran Member
Tractor
Iseki TA 207
Ok ,since there are several electrical questions on this site, her is one for you. My son is a County Deputy. He just got a new radio. It is battery powered. When he keys the mic in his bathroom, the GFI pops. He did it several times to make sure that is what caused it. This can NOT be a good thing. Can someone explain this? I am worried about him using it up near his head. I have heard of all kinds of problems caused by radio waves, etc.

/ GFI ????????? #2  
I would try it next to another GFI and see if it trips if it dosn't change the GFI out.
If it does then have him swap radios with another and see what happens,process of elimanation.

Last edited:
   / GFI ????????? #3  
I have a guess, and a sugestion.

a gfci is a compairing device.. it compairs the hot and common line.. My bet is your rf output is making the gfci think there is a ground fault.

hit a store and buy one of those emi/rfi/spike blocks.. they are usually only about 4 bucks.. or.. you may already have an outlet strip that has spike PLUS EMI/rfi filtering. if it does.. plug it in.. then see if the gfci still trips.

post back.. I'm curious.

soundguy

/ GFI ????????? #4  
How can you explain something that you cannot see, just kidding. I probaly would just go get a new GFCI outlet and replace it, they are not that expensive.

/ GFI ????????? #5  
Could be a defective GFI or a low cost one. First thing I would try is to pull it out and make sure all of the terminals are tight. If they stuffed the wires into holes in the body of the GFI that have a blade that bites into the wire to make contact I would either pull those out and use the screw terminals or push them in to seat them better. His radio signal is causing the wires to act like a little antenna which is tripping the GFI.
PS: Tell him to finish his business in the bathroom and quit yacking on the radio...:)

/ GFI ????????? #6  
I think OP is more worried about the radio waves causing health problems, not the function of the GFI. He already confirmed the Radio transmit is causing the trip. It may or may not mean anything health wise, but changing the gfi for one that doesn't trip isn't gonna lessen the risk (if there even is one).

If that's a county issued radio then I'm sure it's got a powerful transmitter. more than the .5 watt our cell phones put out that every one's so worried about. What does it say on the label of some consumer electronic devises? "this device must accept interference but cannot produce /put out interference" Something like that, wonder if that same rule applies to Govt Communications equipment.

GFI's are sensitive, I have some that pop just from static build up when you touch them.

/ GFI ????????? #7  
Good point on the concerns. A lot of radios in that service band are around 800 Mhz. There is still a fair amount of unknowns on Magnetic waves and health issues. The risk is still pretty low I think considering how much RF is in the air anymore and the amount of cancer related to that. Some of those radios have a low and high power setting if he can use that. Having been a Ham radio operator for 20 years I have been a around a lot of RF. My work I deal with a lot higher frequencies and higher power daily. So far no health issues with myself or any of my co-workers.

/ GFI ????????? #8  
Just tell him not to get around anyone with a pacemaker, just might shut it down, or switch it to high mode.

/ GFI ????????? #9  
If that's a county issued radio then I'm sure it's got a powerful transmitter. more than the .5 watt our cell phones put out that every one's so worried about. What does it say on the label of some consumer electronic devises? "this device must accept interference but cannot produce /put out interference" Something like that, wonder if that same rule applies to Govt Communications equipment.

The difference is that the devices with the label you mention (remotes, tvs, baby monitors, etc) are "secondary users" of the band that they are using and as secondary users, they are not allowed to cause interference to the primary users. Cell phones, radios (Police, Amateur (Ham) or Business), etc are licensed as the primary users of their respective bands and as such are allowed use more power and can cause interference to the secondary users without any legal repercussions.
An example of this is what happens (happened?) to garage door openers when a navy ship comes into port with the radar on, the frequencies conflict and people with RF garage door openers cannot remotely open their doors as the radar is on the same band and is MUCH more powerful, drowning out as it were the signal from the remote to the opener.

Aaron Z

/ GFI ????????? #10  
Just tell him not to get around anyone with a pacemaker, just might shut it down, or switch it to high mode.

Not as far fetched as it may sound... We have strict limitations in the I.C.U. unit and Operating Rooms at the Hospital where I work.

Also, Hospital Grade GFCI have better shielding, plug retention and less prone to nuisance tripping... they also cost a lot more... at least the ones I buy from Hubbell do.