Question about cedar lumber

/ Question about cedar lumber #1  

Western

Tractor
Kioti DK 35 now
I need to build a 2-3 car parking cover, roof only for now.
I would like to have the support post and the the ends made with 6x6 or similar rough cedar like you see at the building supply centers. I was told by a friend that cedar was not intended for "structural" applications, yet I have seen covered parking made this way (rustic).

I was thinking of using 1/4" -1/2" steel plate at the joints for the look and tie in strength, but now I have a concern about using the cedar. I could go all steel quite easily but I really don't want that "Look" in front of my house..

/ Question about cedar lumber #2  
Yes cedar can be used as structural use.As a home builder we use post and
beam and structural all the time.Cedar is soft wood bending properties or low.
Usually we use two to four times bigger size than standard lumber.Cedar is
and excellent choice for many exterior projects.If in doubt call a structural engineer to look at your project.Money well spent.

/ Question about cedar lumber #3  
Yes cedar can be used as structural use.As a home builder we use post and
beam and structural all the time.Cedar is soft wood bending properties or low.
Usually we use two to four times bigger size than standard lumber.Cedar is
and excellent choice for many exterior projects.If in doubt call a structural engineer to look at your project.Money well spent.

That's the key. You have to upsize the material when framing with cedar.

/ Question about cedar lumber #4  
There are a number of different cedars. Which one are you referring to, or have available?
Quality of the wood (absence of knots is higher quality) has a bearing on the load capacity of any wood, as well as the strengths of the different woods.
What span are you talking about with your beam, and what are the loading points like?

Some woods will hardly hold themselves up without bowing under their own weight. So supporting a roof load or wall load might be questionable. And yet, the cedar in your application might work quite well.

/ Question about cedar lumber #5  
If you are still concerned about the strength of cedar, use jack posts and box them in with rough sawn planks:eek:

/ Question about cedar lumber
I thought about jack post on the corners. If I could figure out how to place a drawing on here , then I could show you guy's what I have in mind and let you critique it.

Basically I was thinking somewhere in the 24'x30' range. 30' being the open ends. I would like to use the cedar for the 4 corner post, supports at 8' center on the 24' side and (hopefully) large trusses on the 30' ends, hence the metal idea for support and looks. I was also thinking of 1 large beam at the ridge running from end truss to end truss. The roof load would be mostly the rafters, wood perlin and metal roof and lighting. I wont deck it, we want the open feel almost like a large breezeway.

1 Thing I was thinking of, if I cut into the cedar at joints and place a hidden metal plate inside then the metal plat on the outside to sort of "sandwich" the cedar and metal would that give any added strength? or just extra work and overkill?..

I am in no hurry right now, only in the budgeting phase now.

Last edited:
   / Question about cedar lumber #7  
I take it you want one span of 30 ft. that also has one half of the roof to support and another 24 ft. span for the roof center ridge??

If so it may be advisable to get some Professional design help.:D

You may be in an area with codes that cover things like roof loading[more than just the construction material weight] wind loading, lateral bracing, footings, etc.. Even your support posts would require a check to see if they meet the local loading requirements.:D

/ Question about cedar lumber
I take it you want one span of 30 ft. that also has one half of the roof to support and another 24 ft. span for the roof center ridge??

If so it may be advisable to get some Professional design help.:D

You may be in an area with codes that cover things like roof loading[more than just the construction material weight] wind loading, lateral bracing, footings, etc.. Even your support posts would require a check to see if they meet the local loading requirements.:D

Here where I live, the only building codes effect sewer size and type. I am rural so it is still open. I have a cousin who is an architectural engineer , but he is out of town working. I will "run" it by him once he returns. I would like to have it some what locked down though since he still charge me, granted half price, but if the idea is not workable I'd rather you guy's pitch in before I end up paying him twice. I could do this in all metal in probably 3-4 days but I don't really want a Texas looking hay barn as the gateway to my little house..

You guy's have been making some good points and I appriciate it.

/ Question about cedar lumber #9  
Check out your local lumber supplier. They often have packages that could be adapted for your purposes.

Note: If I understood correctly your roof will be 30 ft. wide. You may be looking at trusses for that span.:confused:

/ Question about cedar lumber #10  
Not all cedar is created equal as was mentioned earlier. Are you using a local grown product? Maybe eastern red cedar (the aromatic cedar with red heart wood actually Virginia Juniper) This is NOT a terrific choice for structural applications in many instances. I have logged a significant quantity of it and had it milled and used it for several things but none were particularly load bearing.

Western cedar is better but still has to be upsized compared to Douglas fir, hemlock, or even many pines.

If it is the LOOK you want you can go with good lumber or steel and dress it with ERC. I did my basement wainscot with bark-on cedar (ERC) slabs and much of the trim with ERC (planed smooth.) I use ERC for decorative purposes where load bearing is not a significant requirement. I would be leery of its long term suitability for load bearing applications unless tremendously over sized compared to "standard" construction materials.

The only particularly load bearing applications I have used ERC for is seating and that is rustic and quite heavy duty.

Pat