New fence to keep people out

/ New fence to keep people out #1  

ilex

I've got cattle with a 1 meter, 4 rows barbed wire, posts (metal angles) at 4 meters ... built to a very low standar. Enough for animals, but have real problems with too many people gettin trepassing.

I can legally make it 1.6 meters high, so my plan is to upgrade it with high tensile barbed wire, 7 rows with wood posts. I plan to put a wooden post between each existing metal post. That will make it one post for each 4 meters for top 3 wires, and one for each 2 meters for bottom ones. As time goes by, I will replace lower wires with high tensile ones.

Project is for about 3500 linear meters.

Another option is using mesh, but I find it too easy to climb.

In your experience which fences deter people more?

/ New fence to keep people out #2  
Welcome to TBN. :)

"In your experience which fences deter people more?"

Electric fence..model that puts out good bite..also my help keeping the bears etc. away..hang signs on fence ELECTRIC.

/ New fence to keep people out #3  
I agree with Thomas, electric top wire and allot of "no trespassing" signs.

/ New fence to keep people out #4  
Electric on top and in front (the people side) and crank it up!

/ New fence to keep people out #5  
Fences with an aggressive but courteous owner seem to work for me. I find people respect the personal attention they get at my place. :)

/ New fence to keep people out #6  
perhaps the best deterrent is finding out why people are treaspassing in the first place and address that issue ?

/ New fence to keep people out #7  
if there is a road near buy and there is a patern to there aparinces call you police agancy mabey they can step up patrolls and yea see why they are tresspassing

/ New fence to keep people out #8  
I'm with radioman. How determined are these people, and is there a concern of potential danger to them or you? ...besides the liability issue.

Using barbed wire to control people takes a different approach than with cattle. I'm not confessing to anything here, but I've had to climb over barbed wire a few times in my day. I found loose, droopy wires to be troublesome while taut wires were a cinch to cross.

As for personal attention, I don't condone this, but a friend of mine was shot with rocksalt as a boy while stealing apples; this method has a VERY low recidivism rate.

/ New fence to keep people out #9  
People are one of the worst pests to deter. Today a neighbour who has been an absolute pain for 30 years boldly took a strole across my property right in front of me. When I went up to him and asked what he'd think if I walked into his back yard. He said he'd expect me to knock on his door to ask first and I'd better have a good reason to do it. I pointed out that is the way I feel too. He boldy said I had 30 acre and I was being selfish. What can you do with bone heads like that (retorical question only)? I just keep catching them and hope they eventually get tired of being pointed out as idiots. One time I put up a strand of barbed wire well marked with incandescent orange tape and this neighbour reported me to the police. The idiot cop who called on me made me take it down... threatened to charge me with buidling a man trap. Speaking of man traps... one time my wife pushed a bunch of rocks on a trail through our place that 4 wheers liked to use while trespassing. I made fun of her. Said they'd jsut roll them off the path. A few hour later I hear this load roar and when I went over to the sound here is an idiot on a four wheeler hng up on these rocks with his tires spinning. That was one stupid trap and unbelievably it caught an even stupider trespasser. I have ben laughing about it for 25 years now.

/ New fence to keep people out #10  
I've got cattle with a 1 meter, 4 rows barbed wire, posts (metal angles) at 4 meters ... built to a very low standar. Enough for animals, but have real problems with too many people gettin trepassing.

I can legally make it 1.6 meters high, so my plan is to upgrade it with high tensile barbed wire, 7 rows with wood posts. I plan to put a wooden post between each existing metal post. That will make it one post for each 4 meters for top 3 wires, and one for each 2 meters for bottom ones. As time goes by, I will replace lower wires with high tensile ones.

Project is for about 3500 linear meters.

Another option is using mesh, but I find it too easy to climb.

"No climb" horse fence (2" x 4" mesh) 48" high, a strand of of Ramm electric tape around the top, and a Doberman and Pitt Bull running inside of it seems to work for us.