Tractor
    1960 ford 901 diesel

Default Re: An Old Goat Ranch in Texas

Good to see you back. I have missed this thread

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 850; Kubota Grand L 3830

Now, come on Terry, you're killing us with anticipation here , waiting for the next installment of your project on TOGR. Do we have to wait for the movie of this project ~(:-).

Arkaybee

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 850; Kubota Grand L 3830

Now, come on Terry, you're killing us with anticipation here , waiting for the next installment of your project on TOGR. Do we have to wait for the movie of this project ~(:-).

Arkaybee

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkaybee View Post

Arkaybee
    Mayhaps Good time Terry imbibed, as he would say...," A wee dram too much " ?
    Bob

WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

"The Old Goat Ranch" Grimes County, Texas
    Tractor
    1990 - JD 870

There ain't NO SUCH THING as a wee dram too much fellows...I just got sidetracked by that **** FACEBOOK thingie...

Isn't there a TBNET app for that?

Anyway...progress, tho slow, has been continuous...and we are now at the housebuilding stage...and it looks like I will have to be the General Contractor...

The builders in my part of Texas have lost their minds...maybe all the rebuilding from the last years brushfires has made them indolent, but I sought bids from ten of them...and you would not believe what some of these folks think a pole barn should cost...

My estimate for the materials cost to build just the shell of a 1600 square foot tin on a wood frame barn ran about $20k including the slab...the lowest bid I got for turn-key construction was $60K...one twit figured I would jump at the chance to acquire his services for a mere $91,000....

...that ain't gonna cut it...when I first moved to Texas I worked as a pole barn builder, and I figured a shell should go for about $35k...so it was time to dust off the old skills...

I drew up a set of plans, did the materials take-offs and got down to finding the supplies...

...it took some time to source all the bits and pieces...businesses I dealt with 30 years ago had long closed their doors...one of them, in fact, "Conroe Creosote" is now a Super Fund Site...but things came together....

...after a bit of hunting I found a local steel supplier in Navasota, who rolls and folds the steel in their own small plant, a McCoys lumber yard in Bryan College Station cut me a contractors discount on all the lumber and fittings, with only a $12 delivery charge no less, and I found a small family operated concrete plant in the beautiful cosmopolitan town of Iola, literally just up the road from the Ranch who is only charging $75 a yard for mud...

I got this stuff handled....

So, now an entire pole barn is laying scattered around the pad at TOGR....some assembly required...stay tuned for updates at the job presses on...like a mouse eating an elephant, I am going to tackle this one bite at a time...

T
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails An Old Goat Ranch in Texas-40-x-40-2br-1ba   An Old Goat Ranch in Texas-40x50x10-wood-frame-iso-jpg   An Old Goat Ranch in Texas-frame-iso-jpg   An Old Goat Ranch in Texas-house-kit-jpg  
    "...As I get older, I find that any day in which my gratitude exceeds my expectations is a good day..."

----- Ray Wylie Hubbard, musician

Tractor
    JD 4310,JD5420

Thanks for the update. Keep plenty of Ben Gay, Absorbine Junior, Ibuprofen, kneepads, and backrubs handy. Not necesarily in that order.
    The measure of any man's virtue is what he would do, if he had neither the laws, nor public opinion, or even his own prejudices to control him. - William Hazlitt

Tractor
    1990 - JD 870

...looks like you were reading my shopping list...you missed the "Jamesons" tho...a wee dram to wash down the pills seems to help loosen things up much better than pills alone...

Be Safe Out There...

T
    "...As I get older, I find that any day in which my gratitude exceeds my expectations is a good day..."

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

Quote Originally Posted by terry.dinerman View Post
    ...looks like you were reading my shopping list...you missed the "Jamesons" tho...a wee dram to wash down the pills seems to help loosen things up much better than pills alone...

Be Safe Out There...

T
    Terry, I was my own general contractor on all my farm buildings and my houses....I did find local framers and hourly workers that were glad to have the work....If I were you...as around at the lumber yard you are dealing with and they will know a framer that desperately needs the work...You would be surprised how cheaply some of these fellas will work and how talented and fast they are if you treat them right....I have always had great luck with finding and working them....Keep us posted...
    Bob

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Tractor
    1990 - JD 870

You are absolutely right, Bob....I already have an experienced framer lined up...a fellow I know and trust that lives right across the street...and I would sure rather put the money in his pocket as I can see it as it works its way thru his family...keeping the money local has benefits far in excess of price...and knowing every nail Marty puts in will be done right is priceless...

Stay warm over there...

T

Terry...that's great, good to know you have someone like that and it sounds like he will treat you right...nice thing too, you are helping a neighbor...never hurts...Merry Christmas to you and yours.
    Bob

Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Page 35 of 62 FirstFirst ... 253233343536373845 ... LastLast