Page 46 of 57 FirstFirst ... 364344454647484956 ... LastLast
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    Case

Default Re: An Old Goat Ranch in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by terry.dinerman View Post
    Rusty-

I would be delighted to name all the names...but they are all within about 50 miles of Bedias...

What part of Heaven (Texas) are you roosting in?

T
    We bought 12.86 ac in grimes county! Reasonably close to bedias. We're near a little town called stoneham. About 4 miles south of hwy 105 and about 3 miles west of plantersville.

Funny story you might enjoy happened yesterday. I have been trying to get my burn piles burned off but they have a little to much dirt in them still so I was trying to let them dry more and pulled them apart a little at a time with the track hoe to clean them. Well yesterday's forecast was 10 mph winds. Sounds like a great day to burn right? Wrong!

I had dug two pits and had them going great. Then I had the bright idea since they were going so good I might as well try lighting others. As soon as they got going the wind kicked up to 20 and kept changing directions. We had a little spot fire that started along the edge of the creek. Didn't think much of it because of the creek being there and it was tiny. Looked like it was just smoldering. We went and messed with the pile on the far west side of the place. That one was going good so I was going to start underbrushing some more while I had a helper. Well on our way back I see that the fire has grown to about 10x10. I think to myself that's no big deal for two career fireman. When I walk over all I see is fire along the creek. Normally that would be a good fire break except for all the vines and trees hanging over. The wind is kicking up in the creek. We're trying to stop it at the head using a Gatorade bottle and water from the creek. Old school bucket brigade. As soon as the head is contained, it jumps the creek. (Worse case senecio) it's still to thick to get my dozer over there due to the vegetation in a reasonable amount of time. We're contemplating calling 911 but still think we can lick this. As soon as we get it under control the wind shifts and sends it burning the opposite direction along the bank. Long story short we got lucky. Called the fd out to wet down the hot spots and got picked on a little. So many thanks to the plantersville stoneham fire dept!

Looks good with all the piles burned off though

Brett

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    TN55

Man, you got some WIIILD critters on your place. Productive at that.

I never thought about using a game camera for showing progress. I like the temp & time status too.

"The Old Goat Ranch" Grimes County, Texas
    Tractor
    1990 - JD 870

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle_in_Tex View Post
    Glad that you found good craftsmanship for your foundation. If you're happy, we are too (for you).

Are you planning on doing any of the major work, or are you going to sub contract it out? The benefit of getting it done sooner vs. the cost associated....what to do,,,,what to do????
    Kyle-

In order to afford even a small house, I am going to have do as much of the work myself as I can...

It's going to have to continue as it has from the start...save up a poke and then do some work...like a mouse eating an elephant...one bite at a time...

I am well qualified in general construction as well as more technical things like plumbing and electrical...I have found a couple of excellent general construction hands that are happy to work a week or so here and there as the need arises...so I have plenty of help for the heavy work...I try really hard to hire out only those things I cannot physically accomplish or rent...

Being located out in the County, the only Code I am ever going to have to formally address is waste-water...so I will have to have a licensed installer put in my septic system...otherwise I would rent an excavator and do that too...

I entertained having a builder put up a shell...till I shopped for a price, that is...

For what I am saving by being an "Owner-Builder", I can afford to pay my craftsmen very well, purchase the best materials, and I get the assurrance that every nail is done right the first time...just slowly...

This option is not for everyone...but it works for me and Precious Bride...

BE SAFE OUT THERE...

T
    "...As I get older, I find that any day in which my gratitude exceeds my expectations is a good day..."

----- Ray Wylie Hubbard, musician

Tractor
    1990 - JD 870

Quote Originally Posted by rustyshakelford View Post
    We bought 12.86 ac in grimes county! Reasonably close to bedias. We're near a little town called stoneham. About 4 miles south of hwy 105 and about 3 miles west of plantersville.

Funny story you might enjoy happened yesterday. I have been trying to get my burn piles burned off but they have a little to much dirt in them still so I was trying to let them dry more and pulled them apart a little at a time with the track hoe to clean them. Well yesterday's forecast was 10 mph winds. Sounds like a great day to burn right? Wrong!

Long story short we got lucky. Called the fd out to wet down the hot spots and got picked on a little. So many thanks to the plantersville stoneham fire dept!

Looks good with all the piles burned off though

Brett
    Brett-

Well..."HEY!"...neighbor...! You need to stop by for glass of sweet tea and visit a while....

It sounds like You got real lucky, fire-wise...

As dry as things have been, the only time I will burn more that a barrel of trash while standing over it with a hose is when it's raining....I just invest in a little more diesel to get things going...most of the slash from any clearing for fence-lines or drought-kill I have had to take care of gets heaped up in berms as "brush fencing" and will continue to rot away slowly...

...sort of like me...

T
    "...As I get older, I find that any day in which my gratitude exceeds my expectations is a good day..."

Tractor
    1990 - JD 870

Quote Originally Posted by bindian View Post
    ..........and the adventure continues. Looking good, Terry!
    hugs, Brandi
    Thank You!

T

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Case

Brett-

Well..."HEY!"...neighbor...! You need to stop by for glass of sweet tea and visit a while....

It sounds like You got real lucky, fire-wise...

As dry as things have been, the only time I will burn more that a barrel of trash while standing over it with a hose is when it's raining....I just invest in a little more diesel to get things going...most of the slash from any clearing for fence-lines or drought-kill I have had to take care of gets heaped up in berms as "brush fencing" and will continue to rot away slowly...

...sort of like me...

T
    I use a propane torch to get piles lit. Works great and is cheaper to use than diesel. We will definitely have to try and stop by sometime. When your ready for a septic, I work with a great guy that has a very successful septic install and maintenance company and he would love the opportunity to earn your business! Who was your electrical provider? We're getting our 911 address this week and will be working on getting power soon. Do you remember what you price per foot was to go with underground?

Brett

Tractor
    1990 - JD 870

Quote Originally Posted by rustyshakelford View Post
    I use a propane torch to get piles lit. Works great and is cheaper to use than diesel. We will definitely have to try and stop by sometime. When your ready for a septic, I work with a great guy that has a very successful septic install and maintenance company and he would love the opportunity to earn your business! Who was your electrical provider? We're getting our 911 address this week and will be working on getting power soon. Do you remember what you price per foot was to go with underground?

Brett
    Ah yes....nothing like a little "Dragon Breath" to get a good fire going...

Thanks for the reccomendation, but so far as a septic system is concerned, I have our family "Dirt Dude" already tapped for that part of the project...his company has been involved since the beginning...clearing brush, culverts, bulk materials...ect...good folks.

I did the prep work for the 13.6 kva primary power....I wound up burying 1200 feet of conduit and setting 2 transformer pads, the "Mid South Synergy" crews then installed 2 poles for the highway cossing, pulled the cable, set a transformer and hooked up to my meter.

All the materials, equipment rental and of course, "Mid South" hookup fee's came in just under $10k.... Roughly $8.30 per foot....this was about half of the lowest bid I could get from any area electrical contractor.

T

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    B6100DT

So here is how your pour a 2150 square foot floor in 41 seconds....

Terry

Awwww, that line had me expecting something involving a helicopter (or even a C130) !!!

Dan C.
    B6100DT, FEL, BH

Tractor
    1990 - JD 870

Quote Originally Posted by Danno1 View Post
    Awwww, that line had me expecting something involving a helicopter (or even a C130) !!!
    ...an airdrop would have been the only way these fellas could have done the job any faster...

BUT WHAT A GREAT IDEA....!

Gold Member
    Tractor
    MF 35, Mahindra 4035

Terry,

I may have missed a post, but what is a yard of concrete going for down your way ? Approximate is ok, both finished and just the concrete...looking for a comparison price...wanna start on my shop this summer and starting the pricing process...hmmm, wonder if a "barn raisin" for TBNrs with a huge crawfish boil, with obligatory cold beverages, would generate any interest ? LOL, worth a thought !

Rich

Page 46 of 57 FirstFirst ... 364344454647484956 ... LastLast