An Old Goat Ranch in Texas

/ An Old Goat Ranch in Texas #491  
Terry

Is there anyone you could recommend to help me get some 6x6x20 posts in the ground? I'm thinking about getting the framers to do the rest but ill need help with those!

Hope all is well

Brett

/ An Old Goat Ranch in Texas
Terry

Is there anyone you could recommend to help me get some 6x6x20 posts in the ground? I'm thinking about getting the framers to do the rest but ill need help with those!

Hope all is well

Brett

Hey Brett!

Nice to hear from you....all is well on my end, back home on my usual rotation and steady working on the house...

If you are not brave (or crazy) enough to rent a small track hoe to dig the holes and use as a crane to erect the poles....the only folks I would recommend is the Penaloza Brothers out of Madisonville, Texas....

They did a wonderful job at a fair price on my perimeter field fencing....they ought to have your little poles done in no time at all...

Here is their website...

http://www.penalozabros.com/

I dealt with "Able"...he is good people...

Let me know how things work out...

T

/ An Old Goat Ranch in Texas #493  
Terry

Hope all is well

Brett

Brett,
I set my 22 foot barn poles with just a 3PH boom pole on my old Ford 3055. Now that I have a loader and hydraulic auger, digging a 12 inch or 9 inch hole is no sweat at all for me.
hugs, Brandi

/ An Old Goat Ranch in Texas #494  
Brett,
I set my 22 foot barn poles with just a 3PH boom pole on my old Ford 3055. Now that I have a loader and hydraulic auger, digging a 12 inch or 9 inch hole is no sweat at all for me.
hugs, Brandi

If that's an offer ill take it! Lol

I called Terry's guy and he's going to figure up a price to do a turn key job. I've never set that many poles that need to be that true. I'd rather let his experience get me going instead of me spending 3 days to get it right!

Hopefully I'll get moved back out to my place and start raking. I haven't done anything out at my place in the last 3 months or so. Been covered up doing the Dozer thing and getting our house on the market. Hope all is well

Brett

/ An Old Goat Ranch in Texas #495  
If that's an offer ill take it! Lol

I called Terry's guy and he's going to figure up a price to do a turn key job. I've never set that many poles that need to be that true. I'd rather let his experience get me going instead of me spending 3 days to get it right!

Hopefully I'll get moved back out to my place and start raking. I haven't done anything out at my place in the last 3 months or so. Been covered up doing the Dozer thing and getting our house on the market. Hope all is well

Brett

Brett,
How many post holes do you need dug? Digging the hole and sitting the posts is the easy part. I squared and cemented about 12 of my 18 poles myself, with a cordless screw gun, 2x4s, and a 4 foot and a 2 foot level strapped onto the post. Glad to hear you are busy. Attached are two photos. One shows my barn poles in the holes and the other shows the Big RED Beast sitting my new meter pole.
hugs, Brandi Barn poles waiting concrete.JPG4-23-11 Installing new Meter Pole.jpg

/ An Old Goat Ranch in Texas #496  
18-12" holes for 6x6 and 6-8" holes for 4x4s

The area will be leveled and I should have a pad. Got a quote on my shop and they are at 25-35k range. Without concrete, I'm at 11k or so for all material! The house is getting more and more expensive so anything I can do at a reduced cost I'm all for it!

Brett

Aight...it's been a VERY productive month here on The Old Goat Ranch...and hot as a anvil, just the way I like it...

For those of you unused to a Central Texas Summer, get out a hair dryer, turn it to the highest setting, point it at your face and then empty the bag from your vacum cleaner into it...it is a weak substitute for the real thing, but you'll get the gist of it...

Working outside takes a little planning...

Starting at sunup is the only way to go...hourly breaks for water and finishing up the days activities by about 2:30 has been working out pretty well...by then the heat is climbing past the 100f mark, shade is at a premium and it allows plenty of time for the enjoyment of that most delightful of habits...SIESTA...as well as afternoon trips for supplies...

...I moved South because of my dislike of cold...so I try not to whine too much about High Summer....but when the thermometer in the shade under the barn roof hits 100f, I do lose a bit of enthusiasm...

Heat or no heat, my helper and I just kept a steady pace and got all of the sheet steel and trim up, ...leak tested the roof...fixed the leaks...(!)...and those few screws just needed to be torqued correctly....best of all, the darn thing is starting to look a lot like the plan......now all I need is a month at "work" to recuperate from my hobbies...

Enjoy the pics, I know I sure am...

And as always....BE CAREFUL OUT THERE...

T

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 229
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 209
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 181
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 178
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 193
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 182
  • Natch Tractor 2.jpg
    Natch Tractor 2.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 145
   / An Old Goat Ranch in Texas #498  
We're building a house,and was talked into "standing seam" type roof. Reasons were,screws will get loose and leak with expansion and contraction over the years due to temp changes,was about 50% more for material,but there are no exposed fasteners,so shouldn't have to worry about leaks. Tim

Standing seam roofing is a wonderful choice! It is beautiful and durable....You will not regret the extra expense....but engineering-wise there is little worry in a properly installed exposed seam fastener roof using the latest crop of modern fasteners...

Modern "R" panel roofs and walls use a butyl seal tape between sheets and EDPM seals under the screws...and so long as the sheets are tight to the purlin, girt or other sub-strate, the fasteners are set square to the surface and properly torqued, as evidenced by a small amount of "squeeze-out" of the seal ring, the water seal is good for the life of the roof...I use both impact drivers and drills with adjustable clutches for driving the fasteners...the tool does not affect the final fitup as much as the experience of the operator....if you mess one up, just back it out and put a bit of "pooky" under the seal and set it back down...I keep a "toothpaste tube" size tube of silicone or scraps of butyl tape in my toolbag for that use...

When I first moved to Texas I built barns for a living...and even with less advanced sealant technology and hand-driven NAILS in both the roof and sidewalls, the company I worked for still gave a 25 year leak-free warrantee....the only service calls I ever made were to buildings that had been subjected to limb strikes, severe racking forces by tornadic winds...or had someone back equipment into a wall or door...

I wish we had these modern fasteners and sealants then!

Best of luck on your build!

Terry

/ An Old Goat Ranch in Texas #500  
Terry,

Good to hear an update...the place seems to be coming along nicely ! Hope all is well...

Rich