POLE BUILDING

/ POLE BUILDING #1  

SOS

Silver Member
Tractor
NH 45 A (2006)
Last year we discussed options for my project to build a pole building and based on the great input from you all, I stopped the project for a bit while I saved up some money. Now I have the funds and wife's approval. :D

So my new plan is to start building in March and the size is now 24x40x10 with one 9 by 10 garage door, a man door and a couple of windows. I'm going to start with a gravel floor and concrete later. I do have a wood burning heater to put in it and will run electricity to it.

Last year I was receiving quotes near 18-K and more. Now I have one new quote at $13-K How does this compair to others' who have built pole buildings?:confused:

/ POLE BUILDING #2  
I had a quote back in October for a 24'x24'x10' w/two overhead doors, one entrance door and four windows for around 13K. That price also included 1/2" insulation and 1' overhangs. (Finger Lakes Region, NY)

/ POLE BUILDING
It sounds like I'm in the ballpark now but your price seems a little better. The previous bids I received on the building were way too high.
I also have an eve all the way around but the price did not include gravel or clearing. I figured I could do that.

/ POLE BUILDING #4  
Last year we discussed options for my project to build a pole building and based on the great input from you all, I stopped the project for a bit while I saved up some money. Now I have the funds and wife's approval. :D

So my new plan is to start building in March and the size is now 24x40x10 with one 9 by 10 garage door, a man door and a couple of windows. I'm going to start with a gravel floor and concrete later. I do have a wood burning heater to put in it and will run electricity to it.

Last year I was receiving quotes near 18-K and more. Now I have one new quote at $13-K How does this compair to others' who have built pole buildings?:confused:

I think you mean a 10x9 door. You can put a 9' high door in a 10' high building. Keep in mind, unless you use low headroom track, (which is more expensive and not as good), you will not have room for an opener. If you do want an opener, you can have them give you an extra 2" (or more), of height. (14" of headroom, making the ceiling 10' 2").

If the door is not on the gable side of the building, you can recess an opener in between the ceiling rafters. So, you can get away with 12" of headroom.

If you do want the 10' door, you need to add a foot to the ceiling height.

/ POLE BUILDING #5  
If it is an overhead (O/H) door at the gable end, it needs to be at least a foot shorter than the eave height - unless you use a scissors style truss.

Otherwise, you can use a horizontal sliding door with the same height at the eave - so long as it is located at the gable end. If it is located at the eave, you will need to figure in the height of the header beam.

Good Luck,

Yooper Dave

/ POLE BUILDING #6  
If it is an overhead (O/H) door at the gable end, it needs to be at least a foot shorter than the eave height - unless you use a scissors style truss.

Otherwise, you can use a horizontal sliding door with the same height at the eave - so long as it is located at the gable end. If it is located at the eave, you will need to figure in the height of the header beam.

Good Luck,

Yooper Dave

I believe you mean a foot shorter than ceiling height.

/ POLE BUILDING
It sounds like if I'm building a 10 foot high (at the eves) building, the tallest door can be a 9 foot door if I ever want to put an automatic door opener on it. right?

/ POLE BUILDING #8  
It sounds like if I'm building a 10 foot high (at the eves) building, the tallest door can be a 9 foot door if I ever want to put an automatic door opener on it. right?
I thought I explained this thoroughly.

I think you mean a 10x9 door. You can put a 9' high door in a 10' high building. Keep in mind, unless you use low headroom track, (which is more expensive and not as good), you will not have room for an opener. If you do want an opener, you can have them give you an extra 2" (or more), of height. (14" of headroom, making the ceiling 10' 2").

If the door is not on the gable side of the building, you can recess an opener in between the ceiling rafters. So, you can get away with 12" of headroom.

If you do want the 10' door, you need to add a foot to the ceiling height.

With standard door track, you need 14" minimum, between the top of the door, and the ceiling, (this is called headroom), to have room for an opener.

You can also go with a ceiling 2' higher than the door, and not worry about anything.

/ POLE BUILDING #9  

What will ceiling height be?

/ POLE BUILDING #10  

It's easy for us to spend _your_ money - bigger & taller is always nice, but a person has to be able to afford it, too. :)

If you put the door on an end (with the peak of the roof) you can get some types about as high as the ceiling. But, if you want a garage type roll up door, you need a foot & 1/2 for a good one, or a foot for a not as good style.

You can gain about a foot of height if you use sissors trusses (or rafter design). It depends how wide your building is, how much you gain. They cost a tad more, but they slope upward inside, so you gain some height inside in the middle of your building.

If you need to put your door in a wall where the roof line is - then you plan on losing a lot of height, you need a pretty good header to support over the top, plus most of the depth of the rool up door.....

And, I'm spending a whole lot more of your money on the electrical work, which you have in a different thread. ;) So, we can't be too hard on you.

I just had a 48x81x15 foot machine shed put up this fall. Sissors trusses, it has 15'6" slidding doors on each end, 23 foot openning. Need big doors for farm machinery. I don't quite have it full yet. Wish it was a little wider, would be easier to fit stuff in if it were wider....

We do what we can afford.

--->Paul