Pond Depth

/ Pond Depth #1  

TigerfaninAR

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2320 FEL, MMM
Excavation has begun on our 7 acres and boy what a mess. The 10 inches of rain last week didn't help.:mad: We will have a pond built for fill dirt (doesn't hurt I wanted one anyway :cool:) and I want to make sure this is a usable pond for fish and not just a hole where we got our dirt. Does it really matter how deep or is there "perfect" depth we should shoot for if possible?

/ Pond Depth #2  
What kind of fish you plan on stocking the pond with?
Some cases..deeper pond the better for cooler temps also dry conditions.

/ Pond Depth #3  
Excavation has begun on our 7 acres and boy what a mess. The 10 inches of rain last week didn't help.:mad: We will have a pond built for fill dirt (doesn't hurt I wanted one anyway :cool:) and I want to make sure this is a usable pond for fish and not just a hole where we got our dirt. Does it really matter how deep or is there "perfect" depth we should shoot for if possible?

Go over to the pondboss forum and ask around. much more knowledgable stuff there. The depth of pond depends on type of fish you plan on keeping.

/ Pond Depth #4  
Pretty warm down by you so you won't have the freezing problems we have up here in upstate NY. Ponds here shouldbe minimum 8-10 feet depth if you want fish to overwinter ok. You also need a big enough volume vs fishload so the gasses don't build up and suffocate them. (I have a 4 foot deep koi pond and a dug pond. The koi pond needs an aerator to keep a small gas hole open all winter. The dug pond freezes over but it's about 8 feet deep. Down by you if you go to shallow vs total volume, summer temps will get too high. You need to have a proper ratio of surface area to volume. Then the fish can go down to escape the heat. (Water actually holds less oxygen it gets warmer so you don't want it warming up too much depending on the kind of fish you want. Clear as mud :) ??

/ Pond Depth #5  
I don't believe there is such a thing as too deep. There is only "not deep enough"

From what I've read, fish spend 90% of their time in the top 4 feet of the water. That means that the rest of the water depth is rarely used. If your water level never droped, then four feet is enough. Since the water level will drop, you need a minimum depth of four feet based on the lowest level the water will drop due to drought and summer evaporation.

I know that's a crazy answer, but in my part of Texas, my ponds both drop about two feet at the most. So far. My big pond is 12 feet deep at the deep end, and 8 feet deep in for about half of it. There are areas that are just a few feet deep, and there are holes that are close to 20 feet deep. Fish like variety!!!

Somethint to keep in mind, is that plants will grow along your shoreline and even in the pond if the water is less th four feet deep. Some plants will grow down to 6 feet deep, but most like just a foor or two or water depth. Make your shoreline drop down as quickly as possible to cut down on how many plants ou get growning out into your pond. Shallow ponds can very quickly become overgrown. Deep ponds never have this problem.

How will your pond fill up with water? If it's from runoff after it rains, you might want to think about the silt that will come into the pond during those heavy rains. If you have really good, thick grass, then it wont be so bad. If you have dirt ,then you'll get silt into your pond.

I channelled ditches before my pond and only allow the water to get in there from three places. Two have culverts with pits in front of the culverts. After a heavy rain, those pits fill up solid with silt. If the pit wasn't there, that silt would end up in my pond, and the slow filling up process would be going that much faster. Any silt that I can keep out of my pond, the better off I'll be. At the third entry point for the runoff water, I dug an extra deep pit into the shoreline of the pond. I figure it's just a matter of time until it fills up, but at leat it will be going into that pit, and not into the bottom of my pond.

With silt pits, you have to dig them out when they fill up, or they stop doing anything. I have a backhoe to do this. If you don't have anything to do this with, it's still a good idea to have a silt pit. You just have to dig it bigger to catch as much as possible, for as long as possible.

The fish you chose to put in there will be more concerned with the size of the pond and what you have in it for structure. Stumps, longs, pallets and things like that are what they need to reproduce. Shallow nesting areas are also important. Depending on the size of the pond, you might be limited to two or three species of fish. One preditor, one sunfish, or food for the preditor fish, and feeder fish for the sunfish, like minnows. It takes several acres for a pond to support and grow multiple preditor fish. My small 3/4 acre pond has channel catfish in it for the preditor fish. My 4 acre pond has the catfish and large mouth bass in it, along with two types of sunfish and the minnows.

Hope this helps,
Eddie

/ Pond Depth
Wow, thanks a bunch. Talked to the guy today and said they usually have the majority of the pond around 7 ft. deep unless I say otherwise. I've read here about the silt, plan on having grass all around but will keep that in mind if plans change. The pond is being dug in a low spot that had water all the time and they are grading in a manner that most water in the back half of the property will run into the pond.

Never been a big fan of catching catfish; would rather bream, crappie, and bass. Probably will be too small for all but those are my favorites.

Again, thanks. Now if I can just keep from having to haul in more shale for the drive, me and my wallet will be fine.

/ Pond Depth #7  
You want to go deep enough so cattails and other weeds don't take over, I'd say no less then 5'. Depending on the types of fish you want is also something to consider. Trout need COLD deep water to remain healthy no less the 10-12'. Bass sunfish cat can live in much shallower depths 4-6'. I'm with EddieWalker as to the varrying depths, fish seem healthier if the pond has drop offs shallows etc... Another thing I wish I had done was to place obstacles around the pond before it filled, rock piles old cement pipes what ever you can imagine.

/ Pond Depth #9  
I agree pretty much with Eddie, my pond is spring fed and is about 12 ft. deep in the middle ..the pond has never stopped flowing through the spillway until last year ..when we, here in GA. were at the end of a years long drought and then the pond went down 2 feet and we were worried big time since the pond is 50 yrs old and the spring feeding it had never stopped until then...now with all this rain..we are close to setting a record..70 inches this year ..last time was 1948 so If I were you I would use all the dirt you need and like Eddie said > " I don't believe there is such a thing as too deep. There is only "not deep enough" > I Ditto that...

/ Pond Depth #10  
we live in bc in the okanogan our frost line in our area is a minimum of 4 ft. you can get this info from your buiding and inspection office where you live .