Wood beam traveler for a chain hoist

/ Wood beam traveler for a chain hoist #1  

nickel plate

Veteran Member
Tractor
2002 New Holland TC40S
When I designed and built my 1280 s.f. shop, I didn't have the 5-1/8"x15-1/2" glulam beam figured in to the framing as it was not needed for the roof truss design. It was added after the roof was completed when I got the bright idea to some day install a moveable chain hoist and use the beam as a track. Before I set the beam in place, I screwed a 5" wide 1/4" steel plate running full length into the top of it to act as a skid and protect the wood surface. That was five years ago. A couple of weeks ago I finally got busy on the layout and construction of the traveler and the pully system.
The traveler is made up of 2x6s glued and sandwiched between layers of 3/4" plywood. The side guides are 2"x2"x3/16" angle iron with the tips bent out like a ski tip to avoid digging into the sides of the beam while being moved. There are two vertical through bolts that secure each piece of angle iron and the two grade 43 yoke chains which lay over the top of the traveler and attach to the chain hoist. An eyebolt on each end secure the two winch cables. On the base of the traveler I have screwed in a steel plate that the unit slides on. Also, both steel plate surfaces have been lightly greased.
Two (on sale for $16.99) HF 1000# hand winches work effortlessly to move the traveler each direction. I built the system to just move the hoist over to whatever is going to be lifted and when done, cranked back over to one end of the beam for out of the way storage.
The two sets of wire rope blocks are made by Tuf-Tug and sold at TSC. 5/16"x3" lags secure the 2x6 D.F. block bases.
I'm sure glad this is over with and actually works better than I expected because it took a lot of scary-to-me high ladder work.

Attachments

• BT1.JPG
    BT1.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 3,881
  • BT2.JPG
    BT2.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 4,866
  • BT3.JPG
    BT3.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 1,058
  • BT4.JPG
    BT4.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 1,970
  • BT5.JPG
    BT5.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 2,025
  • BT6.JPG
    BT6.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 1,180
  • BT7.JPG
    BT7.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 1,488
   / Wood beam traveler for a chain hoist #2  
Looks from the pics that you don't have support under the ends of the glulam beam, but just bolted. This might be a weak point, and couldn't tell if the load is supported all the way down to a footing.

Lift load may not be that great to make these points critical.

But a great idea for moving things in the shop. And the wood used makes for a neat, good looking project. :)

/ Wood beam traveler for a chain hoist #3  
Nice design. I have to agree it doesn't look like you have support on the ends.
What is the lift capacity of the hoist?

Wedge

/ Wood beam traveler for a chain hoist
Looks from the pics that you don't have support under the ends of the glulam beam, but just bolted. This might be a weak point, and couldn't tell if the load is supported all the way down to a footing.

Lift load may not be that great to make these points critical.

But a great idea for moving things in the shop. And the wood used makes for a neat, good looking project. :)
Along side and under each end of the glu lam beam are 2x6s acting as through bolted beam saddles and bearing trimmers which then sit on the perpendicular 6x12s that support the upper walls. Directly under the glu lam and supporting 2x6s are 6x6 DF FOHC posts that are wet anchored into the 6" concrete floor with 24"x24"x48" rebar caged bearing footings. If you look at photo BT1, the post is there but encased by the storage shelving on the other side of the rope, chain and extension cord wall in the photo. Again, an afterthought.

Attachments

• BT8.JPG
    BT8.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 1,411
   / Wood beam traveler for a chain hoist #5  
np
You have that very well covered. :) You are good to go!

Nice design. I have to agree it doesn't look like you have support on the ends.
What is the lift capacity of the hoist?

Wedge
The chain hoist is rated at 3-tons, NOWHERE NEAR THAT WILL I BE LIFTING ANYTHING THAT HEAVY! We do plan on selling this property in the near future and I will leave the traveler and take the chain hoist. Any ideas on how I should disclaimer this setup so the new owner can't come after me when he pulls the roof down trying to lift a Sherman tank? Perhaps dismanteling it but leaving all the pieces?

/ Wood beam traveler for a chain hoist #8  
I bought some of that 43 chain from HF.

Once.

I used it to pull out a field cultivator from the mud.

I didn't even feel the tug when it broke apart. Link just pulled apart.

I realize you have 4 pieces holding, and you ain't planning on lifting all that much weight.

But that 43 chain really scares me any more.

Their 70 seems to hold up pretty good to a good workout.

The 43 I got ahold of was kinda like made of lead or potmetal the way it broke apart, just not something I ever want to use again.

Not telling you what do. :)

If you are worried about liability, remove the working parts, let them wonder what the beam is for, and put their own hardware up if that's what they want to do. Then it is their idea and not your issue.

--->Paul

I bought some of that 43 chain from HF.

Once.

I used it to pull out a field cultivator from the mud.

I didn't even feel the tug when it broke apart. Link just pulled apart.

I realize you have 4 pieces holding, and you ain't planning on lifting all that much weight.

But that 43 chain really scares me any more.

Their 70 seems to hold up pretty good to a good workout.

The 43 I got ahold of was kinda like made of lead or potmetal the way it broke apart, just not something I ever want to use again.

Not telling you what do. :)

If you are worried about liability, remove the working parts, let them wonder what the beam is for, and put their own hardware up if that's what they want to do. Then it is their idea and not your issue.

--->Paul
Hello Paul,
The 3/8" grade 43 HF chain has this information on the outside of the box:
Working load=5400 lbs.
"Not for overhead lifting". A lawyer disclaimer IMO.
I have two of these chains making up four connections to the chain hoist via 9/16" grade eight bolts. How scared should I be if I keep the lifting load at or under the weight of a 350 Chevy V-8 engine block? 500-700 lbs?

/ Wood beam traveler for a chain hoist #10  
Any ideas on how I should disclaimer this setup so the new owner can't come after me when he pulls the roof down trying to lift a Sherman tank? Perhaps dismanteling it but leaving all the pieces?

Looks great and I would trust it for overhead lifting, which of course is the most critical of all lifting applications.

For myself, was thinking maybe instead of the chain, make a steel frame that dropped down the sides and under the beam to support the chain fall lift.

The only problem is, it is so unconventional that God forbid any accident ever occurred, all interested parties are gonna ask "who came up with this"?
IMO there's just no way you're gonna disclaim liability, The fact that you are already thinking/worried about it, makes it not worth leaving there.
Take it all down and forget about it, it's not like you have alot invested in it, except maybe time and pride.

Probably would never be a problem, and I'm not the type to go around pointing out potential long term liability issues. well actually I am, being a contractor I'm always conscientious of loss prevention, protecting the insurance companies to keep premiums down.
But in this case you brought up the concern.

JB.