WEB SITE FOR BLUE PRINTS

/ WEB SITE FOR BLUE PRINTS #1  

Michelle K linnane

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4103
Hi Guys
IS there a web site for blue prints. I am going to call our local school and talk to the teacher about building my club house, but I assume he is going to ask for blue prints. Is there a web site that I can go to that you can put in the height and what you want on center? Whent they are just doing the walls it seems kind of over kill but I assume he will want blue prints.
Michelle

/ WEB SITE FOR BLUE PRINTS #3  
Most of the time blue prints are more for the permit then the builder. If it's a really complicated home or building, a blueprint comes in handy, but what usually happens is they also confuse and cause problems. My experience with blueprints are that they have mistakes in them and most of the time you don't realize it until the framing is almost done and something doesn't fit right, or come together like the client wanted it.

Any builder with just about any experience can build a house from a sketch on a napkin.

For what you want, the clubhouse, draw it out on some graph paper. Put where you want the doors and the size of the windows. For the lowest cost, use window sizes that are very common, like 3040 and standard door widths, like 36 inches. 3040 means 3ft wide and 4 ft tall.

Your builder will figure out the roof and framing requirements. Mostly will just look at the dimensions and know what it will take in a minute.

As for the school doing it, I don't know. If they are allowed to do it, the teacher will probalby make designing it part of the class project. Figuring out the walls, the trusses and all the details would be a big part of learning how to build.

For what you want, it's a very simple building. Just to know for yourself, I'd make that sketch and then call five or six local builders and get a quote. You might be surprised at what you find out. If not, it doesn't cost anything to get a bid.

I myself use Broaderbund Home Design 5.1 for my plans. It allows me to move walls around, put the doors and windows in different places and put furniture in the space to see how it fits. I can even modify the size of the furniture and cabinets to get a proper layout. It's an older version that I got for a very reasonable price. They have much newer and fancier versions, but this one works fine and it's easy to use.

Eddie

/ WEB SITE FOR BLUE PRINTS #4  
Choose your window brand in advance of framing as there is no industry standard as to the rough in opening sizes. Most window manufactures will fabricate "net/net" which means that the framed opening is to be exactly the same as the widow call out, a 4030 would be framed at 48" wide by 36" tall and the window will pop right in. Some companies might spec 1/2" over or under the 4030 window size which could lead to big re-framing problems at the time of setting the glass.

/ WEB SITE FOR BLUE PRINTS #5  
Check a book store

/ WEB SITE FOR BLUE PRINTS #6  
When you talk to the school you might find out if they have students learning design/drafting/CAD that could develop a set of plans for your clubhouse.

/ WEB SITE FOR BLUE PRINTS #7  
Choose your window brand in advance of framing as there is no industry standard as to the rough in opening sizes. Most window manufactures will fabricate "net/net" which means that the framed opening is to be exactly the same as the widow call out, a 4030 would be framed at 48" wide by 36" tall and the window will pop right in. Some companies might spec 1/2" over or under the 4030 window size which could lead to big re-framing problems at the time of setting the glass.

This is very good advice. The last custom house that I had built I ended up specifying everything that went into that house, and I mean everything. There was no doubt in the builder's mind what my intent was because it was there in black and white, and he refered to the specs quite often. It included every cabinet, fixture, trim, flooring, windows, doors, switches, hardware, etc, etc, with manufacturer, model, color, etc included. We had no misunderstandings and ended up being good friends with a healthy appreciation for each other.

/ WEB SITE FOR BLUE PRINTS #8  
Most window company catalogs will tell you the size of the rough opening, usually 1/2" larger than physical size. An architect doing the drawings will usually include a RO table to benefit the framer, but most framers will know based on the given window size.