Will a splice on high tensile wire hold up?

/ Will a splice on high tensile wire hold up? #1  

warhammer

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SE HST
I pulled three 1250 foot strands of high tensile wire for a fence today and came up 35 feet short on the last strand. I guess 4000 foot spools of wire are kind of arbitrary in how much wire you actually get.
Each wire goes from an end post 240 feet to a braced corner makes a 90 deg turn and then 1000 feet to the other end post.
From what I have read you can use 2-3 crimps to splice the wire together and it should be about 80% as strong as unbroken wire. Is that actually strong enough for use when tensioned?
If the splice is a bad idea how about seperate wire going from each end post to the corner? I really do not want to pull 1215 feet of wire out of the fence and repull it.

/ Will a splice on high tensile wire hold up? #2  
I've seen the triple crimps used most of the time. I've also seen a tension spring or strainer used rather than a splice.
It's done all the time, so I wouldn't worry about a spliced wire.

/ Will a splice on high tensile wire hold up?
Good point on the spring and tensioner. Seems like using those is a splice of sorts.

I've seen the triple crimps used most of the time. I've also seen a tension spring or strainer used rather than a splice.
It's done all the time, so I wouldn't worry about a spliced wire.

/ Will a splice on high tensile wire hold up? #5  
whenever I need a splice I just bend both ends back around so I have a fairly tight u shape with one side about 3 or 4 inches long. Then hook and roll until you have them heading back so that you end up with an interlocking hitch similar to what you'd have if it was rope. Sorry I can't think of the right name for the knot right now. You never have to carry special splices or anything other than pliers which you would already be carrying. This will stand up to whatever tension is placed on the fence and it's cheap.

/ Will a splice on high tensile wire hold up? #6  
These seem to work well... Fencing .

Chris
Crimps will hold far more than "these". They are quick and easy but they have a limit on the tension that you can put on them. I use them mainly for single "H" braces but they won't cut it for a double "H".

I go with two crimps to splice my wire. I put a little twist on the free ends and use a high quality crimping tool. I have has some pretty big trees fall on my fence and have yet to break a connection. By the way, tensile is available with a plastic coating (Hotcote) with four inch insulative plastic tubes to staple to the posts. Slip one of those little tubes on prior to making your splice. You may have to heat the tube a bit but you can slide it over the crimps to minimize cuts and scrapes.

I use the springs on my fence lines where the trees are just for the above mentioned reason. Other than that, springs are not really necessary.

/ Will a splice on high tensile wire hold up? #7  
Well installed crimps with proper tool should be fine.

Aircraft (Cessna and Piper etc) allow crimping of the control cables and in fact it is approved by the FAA.

Nicropress is the trade name for crimps and tooling.
Hydro power co's also use that system all the time.

Properly installed a crimp connector is stronger than the cables they splice.

/ Will a splice on high tensile wire hold up? #8  
details of joining high tensile wire are here

How 2 Archives

A knot that I use all the time, with great success, is the figure 8 knot.

I have never had a knot beak on me.
HT knots fig 8.jpg

/ Will a splice on high tensile wire hold up? #9  
Texasjohn that reef knot is the one I was talking about but I think I'll give that figure eight one a try this year and see if it's easier to do with the hard to bend wire.