cutting torch

/ cutting torch #1  

cj7

Gold Member
Tractor
L2500
Question. I am trying to burn out the weld and tube on a DANA 44 axle housing where the plug welds are at the differential. I can not seem to get the metal hot enough to puddle. Any tips? Do I need a bigger tip on my torch?

/ cutting torch #2  
A larget torch will help, but if yo don't have that available, try drilling a 1/4" hole thru the weld and start cutting from the hole and work your way out.

/ cutting torch #3  
Maybe a stupid question, but did you drain all of the oil from the diff? If not, it might be cooling it down...

/ cutting torch
Yes the oil is out and the carrier. Would the nickel content create any problems? We tried the 1/4" hole very difficult to drill. Did not really help. I do see there are bigger tips. I think I have a size "0" on it now.

/ cutting torch #5  
Tip size 0 should be good enough. Usually when someone can't get a cut started with a torch it is because they have too much oxygen flowing. Back off the oxygen until you get a smoky flame then slowly add it back until the point the smoke stops.

/ cutting torch #6  
I doubt it is the size of the tip so much as it is the composition of the material being cut.

What I usually do is light the torch with just the fuel side on. Then I slowly add the oxygen until the flame loses it's feather and is just a circle of pretty little blue green cones, no feathers on any of them puppys.

The way it's been explained to me is the flame melts a spot and then the oxygen under pressure uses the melted materials to burn through.

If the surface melts and when you hit the oxygen it just moves around sorta like brass when brazing then you're dealing with cast iron and the only way to cut it with a torch is to just melt it through. But if when you hit the oxygen it sends sparks everywhere, especially you hair and inside your ear, then I try to just keep working it until it burns on through.

I once worked with a weldor who was an ace with a cutting torch. He couldn't do much well but he could walk and talk and do a dance cutting. He'd found his calling and he did enjoy it. He told me about freehanding cuts through six inch plate. He explained that cutting through stuff that thick involved not such a killer big tip but having plenty of oxygen flow. So they had a manifold of tanks set up and a large hose from the manifold to the torch just to keep the oxygen flowing at a rate that would push the molten metal right on through. He would also drive you up a wall cleaning the tips. He was heck on tips. He'd wear them out just cleaning them.

We use to laugh about him being a one trick pony. But looking back I can see where maybe the reason he could cut so well was he understood that clean tips were like having good shoes when doing that one dance like no one else could.