Best time for gravel?

/ Best time for gravel? #1  

Bob Ha

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TN75, Kubota M9960, Kubota M7040, NH T4.85
I'm going to have some gravel put down and was wondering when is the best time. When it's wet or dry conditions? Secondly, is $10 per ton sound about right?

The following formula was provided by the quarry I'll be using. I'm only putting down 3" because it's a current rock driveway but needs some added to it.

The formula for determining the quantity required for my project is as follows:

Length x Width x Depth (in feet) ÷ 27 = Cubic Yards

We then multiply the number of cubic yards by the conversion factor for tons per cubic yard.

By using their formula I would need 167 tons... total cost of $1,670 (see below)

Driveway is 1,000 feet long, 10 feet wide and depth of 3"
1,000 feet long x 10 feet wide = 10,000 square feet

10,000 square feet x 3" thick (3" = 0.25 of 1 foot)

10,000 x 0.25 = 2,500 cubic feet

2,500 cubic feet ÷ 27 cubic feet per cubic yard = 92.6 cubic yards

92.6 cubic yards x 1.8 tons per cubic yard = 167 tons @ $10 per ton

/ Best time for gravel? #2  
If you're referring to limestone, which I believe you are, I like to put it down in mid spring when the ground is still slightly soft. This allows the stone to slightly attach to the surface instead of skidding off if the ground is too hard.. This has worked well for me.

The cost for the limestone tends to depend on where you live.

I like the stone with the powder left in, provides a binder once it gets wet.

I don't have enough brain power left tonight to analyze your calculations. But I use 24 ton over 250' 2-3" deep. Mine's only 7-8 ft wide except for a turnaround area. So you might be a little high, but not too far off. More is always better if you can use it.

/ Best time for gravel? #3  
I agree. I like to put rock or gravel down when the ground is a bit soft so it will stick in a bit. Spring is a good time. I would say just after the frost has come out but I suspect someone from Texas would say "what frost":D

/ Best time for gravel? #4  
$10 a ton is so cheap that it makes me nervous. Red flags are going off and I'm wondering what you are getting, or if you are really getting a full ton for that price. Here, I can get limestone road base, in bulk for $22 a ton. It comes from the quarry in Terrel and is trucked an hour East, to here.

Road base is a rock that is broken up into a variety of sizes, with jagged edges. It ranges in size from several inches down to fines. The reason for this is when it's compacted, it locks together into a solid mass. When it rains, it will shed water, and it will support the weight of a vehicle over it.

Four inches is the minimum thickness. If you already have some base there, the best thing to do is to mix the two together. Just putting one on top of the other will mean the top layer will not be very strong and will fail sooner.

The best time to do this is when the soil is dry. Once cone, the rock will shed water, so the rock will not settle on you. If the soil is wet, then the rock will just sink into the soil. If you have to do it in wet conditions, you need to put down a much larger rock first to support the load and base rock over the wet soil.

What type of rock are you getting? Name and size? buying the wrong type of rock is just throwing money away.

Eddie

/ Best time for gravel? #5  
My driveway is 900' long, 8-9' wide plus a large parking area. The last two times I have added gravel it has been crusher run which has 7-8 rock with powder. Each time I get one load which is normally 18-20 tons just for the driveway. I never measured the actual depth but I would guess it is well over two inches. The last load was Spring 2009 and it cost $280 delivered.

If the ground is dry I usually wait for a light rain before ordering the gravel. I order in the morning for afternoon delivery. Since my drive is steep, i ask for a driver by name so I know he will give me a nice spread. Had one guy come out before I learned my lesson and laid out a nice layer all the way up the drive only to turn around and stand on his brakes all the way back down. Since it was before I had my tractor I spent a lot of hours with my rake smoothing out his ruts.

/ Best time for gravel? #6  
Eddie, I was operating under the assumption that he has an existing base...Maybe not, after I re-read the post. There is a BIG difference as you stated. Putting #2 down on dirt won't work in the long haul.

My base is the stuff on the bottom of the barge that they won't put through the grinders due to settlement debris. Cheap, but very different in size...From #2 to the size of a small pumpkin..Lot's of "bucket sorting" with that stuff. Works great if you have big dips and such to fill as I did.

I messed up on the width of my driveway..Probably averages 9-10 ft wide for the most part.

/ Best time for gravel? #7  
The math is good, but I wonder what you are getting for $10 ton; I am assuming delivered.

It is $31 something + tax delivered here for "road base" in south Louisiana. Best price I can find, and that is being trucked in about 38 miles one way. Limestone from 10 miles away is $75 a yard.

Matt

/ Best time for gravel? #8  
Bob says he has "a current rock driveway".

What to add depends on what rock means. If it is currently gravel, 3" should be OK.

In Grants Pass, OR, what is called 3/4" minus (everything that comes out of the crusher and will pass through a 3/4" screen) sells for $14 per ton, plus delivery. There are a lot of independent truckers who will deliver for ~$80 per 20 ton load.

In a lot of ways the cost quoted is just an approximation. Figure 20 tons per dual truck load -- you are looking at 8 truckloads. This is not going to be delivered all at once, probably one or two drivers over the course of a few hours. As you get close to the end of the driveway, you will know how much it took but they may be off by more than a full truckload.

In our neck of the woods a very legitimate way to pack the gravel after spreading is to drive the next full load back & forth over the previously spread gravel. The driver should be adept at this and will probably do it free, maybe a small charge. Works for all but the last load.

/ Best time for gravel? #9  
If possible scarify/rip up the existing road base and windrow to the side. Lay down the new gravel and then mix the old stuff in with the new by rolling the windrow back and forth. This will also help even out the surface. When done make sure it is at the right moisture content and use a vibratory packer. Note: the gravel?? used should be crushed.:D

Now it all depends on what equipment you have or can rent!:)

/ Best time for gravel? #10  
I agree with Timswi, probably depends on where you live. Was told that the main cost of crushed limestone is the transportation. The crushed limestone (or what we call base material ) is actually cheap, just have to pay for the dump truck and driver to deliver it. I live about 15 miles south of quarries, I pay about $110 or so for a 10 to 12 ton load, so the price is probably correct. It would cost alot more if it had to be hauled for an hour trip , one way, as in Eddies case. If you had your own delivery truck, dump trailer, or whatever, you could get it alot cheaper, but that would also cost you extra in your own fuel costs, etc. I dont have a dump truck sitting around my place, but at $110 a load, guess I am lucky.