Hanging Gates - Corral Build

/ Hanging Gates - Corral Build #1  

GaryBDavis

Gold Member
I'm just starting a corral project and have about a dozen gates to hang. I usually hang them in place with the tractor FEL, put some blocks underneath, shim things until it is about right and weld away. But that's hard to do with just one person, so I built a couple of tripods with winches on them. I still set them in place with the tractor FEL, but use the tripods to get things just right. It's quite a bit faster and turned out pretty good. I'm curious if anyone else out there does it like this or has something better.

Attachments

• IMG_1_resize.JPG
    IMG_1_resize.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_2_resize.JPG
    IMG_2_resize.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_3_resize.JPG
    IMG_3_resize.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_4_resize.JPG
    IMG_4_resize.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_5_resize.jpg
    IMG_5_resize.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 480
  • IMG_6_resize.JPG
    IMG_6_resize.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 431
  • IMG_7_resize.JPG
    IMG_7_resize.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 512
   / Hanging Gates - Corral Build #2  
I hang mine the same way you described except for the tripods. I think you must have some pretty large gates.

/ Hanging Gates - Corral Build #5  
Looking good. Nice heavy gates, guess you have big cows down your way.

Well you know.
"Everything is big in Texas" LOL.

Sorry it had to be said.

Wedge

/ Hanging Gates - Corral Build #6  
Necessity is the mother of invention, or so they say. Genius should be in there somewhere too.
Really like your hinges and the tripod idea as well. Sure would make working alone alot easier, that's for sure.
One thing I noticed on the pic of your lower hinge, have you considered welding a collar over the top of it, like you did on the top hinge, to keep water from getting in between the hinge and the gate vertical post. Just a thought.
You do good work.

/ Hanging Gates - Corral Build
I debated the issue of water getting into my hinges long and hard. On the bottom hinge, there is a collar below it, but not one on top. This is to keep the gate from being lifted up as some cows will try to go under things when they are confined to small pens.

I opted to put the collar on the bottom side and leave a small gap to let any water seep out. No solution is perfect. There is always a down side of some kind.

I put in my first gate like this over a year ago and it seems to be working out.

/ Hanging Gates - Corral Build #8  
Like the tripod idea.:thumbsup: That and you do some really nice work. One thing though. Welding it to the post seems a little to permanent for me just in case you decide to make some changes, the posts settle and lean a bit, or the gate gets damaged. Just some thoughts.

And I know what your saying about doing things alone. There are a lot of days I have to wait for my son to get home from school before I can get a fairly simple project done.

/ Hanging Gates - Corral Build #9  
wont grease help the water issue?

Wedge

/ Hanging Gates - Corral Build
Welding it to the post seems a little to permanent for me just in case you decide to make some changes, the posts settle and lean a bit, or the gate gets damaged.

Well if any of that happens, I'll just cut it off and re-weld it. :)