Pole barn vs. Steel Building

/ Pole barn vs. Steel Building #1  

hokiebird

Tractor
1964 Ford 2000
What I want - 40 x 64 x 16 building for vehicles, equipment storage (tractor, mowers, tiller, etc) and workshops. Plus plumbing for bathroom and utility sinks. I don't have the time to do the major construction myself (framing, roof, siding, floor). I will be doing the finish work inside myself.

Got an estimate from a pole barn builder - good local reputation with the farmers around here.

Then a friend suggested I look into steel buildings. It turns out that the quote for the steel building is very close to the pole barn. And that includes a standard foundation and 5" poured floor with a 2' high concrete stem wall that I want to increase the overall interior height to 18'.

Part of me likes the idea of having a standard concrete foundation with frost footings. And I think a 2' high stem wall of solid concrete would help with general wear and tear on the walls. Both buildings have 26g siding and roof. Both with same overhead doors, personnel doors, windows.

Major difference is that the steel was quoted with standard 1/12 roof; pole barn quoted with 6/12 roof and scissor trusses so that I could get >18ft centerline height inside. A steeper roof would "flow" better with our traditional farmhouse and other barns on the property. But having a 1/12 roof would save on insulation costs (planning on using spray-foam).

Wood posts will rot, eventually. And steel will rust, eventually. But if built right, they would both last my lifetime and probably my kids' lifetime.

Any comments out there on preferences?

/ Pole barn vs. Steel Building #2  
We built (had built, actually, although I served as general contractor) a 30x50X14 metal building on a concrete slab w/ full plumbing and electric and are very happy with both the construction experience and subsequent use. 20x30 is heated (radiant tube heater) and serves as a shop, while the remainder is used as a 2 stall barn for grooming, vet care, farrier visits etc.

Once we figured out what we wanted, ordered the material and chose our builder, plumber & electrician the actual construction was quick and relatively painless (aside from not noticing until after the floor was poured that the plumber initially placing the toilet rough-in in the wrong location in the little bathroom we included). As you noticed, the price was not far off from stick construction. I now have both a pole barn and the new metal building, and after using them both for an extended period, if I had the $$ I'd replace the pole barn with another metal structure.

/ Pole barn vs. Steel Building #3  
think you are geting a better deal on the steal due to the 2' high walls this building would actualy be weather tight and last for ever i suspect it has a much higher efecto on property value as well not to mention 18 foot clerance

/ Pole barn vs. Steel Building #4  
I have built many homes and pole barns wood and steel. Always liked steel no creaking and rattling with steel main structure will stay put in high winds and tornadoes.If the price is right buy steel. Good luck.

/ Pole barn vs. Steel Building
Thanks for the responses. They agree with several other folks I've asked. Will be meeting with a builder again this week to see if we can hammer out the details and get started now that the snow is going away.

/ Pole barn vs. Steel Building
Pulled the trigger on the steel building today.

40' x 60'. 2' stem wall with 16' steel walls for 18' total height.

Two 14'w x 12'h insulated overhead doors. Plus personnel doors and windows.

Going with Thermal Design insulation for the roof - really like their system, and it came in cheaper than spray foam. Also getting walls insulated with 9" + vapor barrier + steel siding cheaper than spray foam. Planning on putting in radiant floor heating myself in the 5" slab floor. Once the shell gets put in, I'll be finishing the inside for workshops, bathroom and a rec room for the kids.

/ Pole barn vs. Steel Building #7  
As your building gets going post some pics and also the costs (if you are comfortable with that). Especially interesting would be unexpected costs or issues not in the original quote. This would help others who are looking at building something similar.

/ Pole barn vs. Steel Building #8  
If you go all steel, factor in insulation. It will sweat if there is rapid temp changes if the raw steel is exposed. Can mess up your toys. Other than that, steel is a great long term investment.

/ Pole barn vs. Steel Building #10  
In the areas that will have stress grooves -- cut the concrete instead. So much easier to use (roll over). Though I am not familiar with the steel building, I presume the siding is assembled the same as pole barns. Install the rubber/foam siding fillers (between the siding and the cap and bottom panel). This keeps the wind from blowing through. And snow. It should help reduce vermin too. Shouldn't be that much money.