8' York rake shop dolly

/ 8' York rake shop dolly #1  

nickel plate

Veteran Member
Tractor
2002 New Holland TC40S
This has been a real "Rube Goldberg" project from the get go. Figuring out all of the calculated angles, drops and 3-PT adjustments did take some time. This is my fourth (wood splitter, wood chipper and backhoe) built dolly so far.

York1: I used two weld-on 1/4" hinges secured with Simpson 1/4" x 3" HDG drive screws. The turnbuckle secures the rake to the platform.

York2: On the backside of the hinged platform are the two 2" angle iron pin/keepers to lock the platform while in storage. Also seen is the through bolted eye bolt for the rake securing turnbuckle.

York3: York rake tine/tooth 2" angle iron securing dock.

York4: York rake attached to the tractor, turnbuckle released and
pin/keepers released, hinged 3-PT platform dropped for rake drive off.

York5: Ready for work.

The idea for attachment dollies is to be able to pack them in tight for storage and then be able to roll them out and mount to the tractor without having to wig-wag position the tractor.

Side note: The fellow that I bought the York rake from in southern California was the contractor who was commissioned to build the baseball diamond for the movie, "Field of Dreams". He told me that one of his greatest life experiences was to spend the Fourth of July in that small middle America Iowa town.
Remember the tall corn in the outfield where the players came out of to enter the field? His crew had to transplant that, just a couple of rows deep, enough to look real.....At that time the natural Iowa cornfield was ony 2-3 feet high, "knee high fourth of July.....

Attachments

• York1.JPG
    York1.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 373
  • York2.JPG
    York2.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 218
  • York3.JPG
    York3.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 207
  • York4.JPG
    York4.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 203
  • York5.JPG
    York5.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 325
   / 8' York rake shop dolly #2  
Trailer tongue jack welded on the front with a wheel and lower the rear gage wheels.....presto dolly!

/ 8' York rake shop dolly
Trailer tongue jack welded on the front with a wheel and lower the rear gage wheels.....presto dolly!
Hello rdln,
I did try to incorporate the two gauge wheels into the design ILO the aft castor wheels but unfortunately the gauge wheels will only rotate 180 degrees, stopping against the tines and then acting as a brake while pushing the rake backwards. In my case I need full standing in place rotation capabitity.
I also thought about just using the retractable 3/4" diameter rod leg (instead of the hinged forward platform) that is provided from the manufacturer for use when storing the unit but it was given to me bent in a circular 90 degree angle from a previous overstress so I didn't go with it as a primary source for three point standing. I did however cut a hole in the platform and lined it with a 2" metal pipe nipple so the foot of the retractable rod anchors into the platform, that was after I spent the better part of an hour beating it back to straight on the anvil.

/ 8' York rake shop dolly #4  
Nice work.
Bit more complicated than what I use to move rake, blade, etc around my shop..... $40.00 set of snowmobile dollies..

Attachments

• blade dolly.jpg
    blade dolly.jpg
    418.3 KB · Views: 436