List of Things To Do With A Small Backhoe

/ List of Things To Do With A Small Backhoe #1  

savaytse66

Bronze Member
Tractor
2010 BX25
I'm in the market for a tractor, and I'm trying to justify the purchase of a small backhoe. I'm currently looking very hard at a Kubota BX25. I know there are some projects I can tackle right away with it, but as my lovely wife has so nicely pointed out, I'm not sure that long-term, the BH will get as much use as I think. So what I'd like to do is compile a list of things I can do with my own backhoe.

Now I've heard, and I completely understand, the argument that it's often cheaper to just rent a backhoe when I need it and avoid the upfront cost and maintenance of my own machine. But convenience means an awful lot to me, and with two small children, renting a backhoe and maximizing my use of it during the time I have it isn't necessarily feasible.

So anyway, here's my list of things to do with my backhoe off the top of my head:

1. Terrace my corner vegetable garden that currently grows on a slope
  2. Dig a 75' long trench for a new sewer pipe (within the next two years)
  3. Yank out and possibly re-locate a couple small trees
  4. Re-work a few flower beds that were originally built half-a$$ed
  5. "Till" the vegetable gardens every year (note that I do not have enough garden area to justify an actual tiller)
  6. POSSIBLY grade and excavate for the foundation of my new garage addition. It's approximately 30' x 30' and would involve grading down about 24" and then trenching down another 12 - 16".
  7. Tear down a small railroad tie retaining wall
  8. Build and maintain a small compost area (though I can probably do this with just a loader)

So that's my list. I've often heard that there are many things to do with a backhoe that I wouldn't immediately think of, so I'm curious what all of you would recommend adding to the list. I realize that not everything will necessarily apply to my situation (1 acre of property, no room for a pond), but maybe some of your ideas will help justify my purchase. Even though I really want the BX25, if I cannot justify the BH, I'll probably scale down to a smaller model.

Looking forward to your ideas!

/ List of Things To Do With A Small Backhoe #2  
Given the list you have provided and the smallish size of your property I think renting would be cheaper. It is nice to have one and I have gotten lots of use out of my Kioti CK35 with Woods 7 ft backhoe, have 14 acres and lots of uses for it.

Attachments

• Woodsbackhoe09.jpg
    Woodsbackhoe09.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 1,289
  • Woodsbackhoe04.jpg
    Woodsbackhoe04.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 1,480
  • KiotiWoodWood 002.jpg
    KiotiWoodWood 002.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 866
  • KiotiWoodWood 003.jpg
    KiotiWoodWood 003.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 1,128
   / List of Things To Do With A Small Backhoe #3  
Notice his picture with the mechanical thumb ....... with that you'll never have to drag brush again.

Grab it ..... pick it up ..... take it where you want it and drop it off.

Certainly has made my life easier.

/ List of Things To Do With A Small Backhoe #4  
What if you bought it with the intension of selling it, when your stuff is done? You probably could get a good $$$ for resale and won't be losing as much as renting? keep the tractor and sell the BH when ready.

/ List of Things To Do With A Small Backhoe #5  
What if you bought it with the intension of selling it, when your stuff is done? You probably could get a good $$$ for resale and won't be losing as much as renting? keep the tractor and sell the BH when ready.

Ummm....that may not work. I bought a BX24 three years ago with the same intent and I'm not sure I'm ready to part with it now that all the BH work is done. I just know something happen where I'd like to have the BH. I know it would happen, I just know it would.

/ List of Things To Do With A Small Backhoe #6  
Yup... I spent about $5500. for the BH6000 coupled to a NH T1030 ..... and I wouldn't sell it back for the same money I paid.

Once you have it you don't want to be without one.

/ List of Things To Do With A Small Backhoe #7  
Than there projects which will pop out of the blue plus Mrs. list.

If funds aren't problem I say go for it,and when its time to trade good chance of more bang for the buck.

/ List of Things To Do With A Small Backhoe #8  
  1. Yank out and possibly re-locate a couple small trees

You can certainly dig holes for new trees, however, in my limited experience a small BH does not work very well to remove trees for replanting. For me, anyway, it is almost impossible to scoop the tree and root system in one bucket pass, without mangling the tree or the root system. That said you can probably dig out some fairly substantial stumps.

If you are looking at BX25 type of thing just tell DW it comes as a package and don't attempt to provide any cost on the BH as a separate option.

Chances are , if you have a small acreage, the cost of a BH will be very difficult to justify unless you have specific projects and even then doubtfull. Simple test is - Do you want one - can you afford one. If the answer is two yes`s then buy it.

/ List of Things To Do With A Small Backhoe #9  
Bring it over to my place. I'll line you up with a years worth of work at a time!:thumbsup:

/ List of Things To Do With A Small Backhoe #10  
Simple test is - Do you want one - can you afford one. If the answer is two yes`s then buy it.

I bought an L35 new and I only had two acres. My needs list was probably rather pathetic. The thing was I wanted it, and I could easily afford it, so I bought it. What I soon discovered was that it enabled me do things that I would have never ever considered doing without the backhoe. That tractor has more than paid for itself and was one of the best purchases I've ever made. YMMV

I find it interesting that a person can go out and buy a $20K motorcycle and think nothing of it but will agonize over spending the same amount on a tractor which is so much more useful.