Repair rusty corregated metal roof

/ Repair rusty corregated metal roof #1  

pitt_md

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5000
I have a old quonset metal storage shed that the roof has started to rust on. Is their a product made that you can paint over the rust and seal it up? I did a search and found one mention of some sort of aluminized roof sealant. Is this made for painting over the rust?

/ Repair rusty corregated metal roof #2  
goggled and found this, probably more products out there, nothing like a wire brush though. How much do you have to do?

/ Repair rusty corregated metal roof #3  
You can just paint it if it it not leaking. We had an old barn with a metal roof and we had a roof painter who pressure washed it scrapped the loose paint and the painted it with a quality paint. We did have another barn roof that someone had used an asphalt paint product on that could not be painted.

/ Repair rusty corregated metal roof #4  
If it isn't leaking a good aluminumn/asphault oil paint is perfect, lasts a long time. The aluminumn oil floats on the oil base & good to go.

If it has small leaks you can get mobile home roof paint, it's ugly & chunky & blah, but can help out for a few years. By this point you are on borrowed time anyhow.

--->Paul

/ Repair rusty corregated metal roof #5  
Painting over the rust just means the rust will keep eating through your roof. The rust needs to come off and then be painted IMHO.

/ Repair rusty corregated metal roof #6  
Flakey rust yes. The oil based aluminumn paint is real good at having the oil part (kinda almost a thin tar) float over & stop the rust if it is just surface rust. It's not cheap paint, but it does a good job for this application.

--->Paul

/ Repair rusty corregated metal roof #7  
Check out Hammerite paint now made by Kilz. I is designed to paint over rust. Remove the flakey rust first. It's great stuff. I encapsulates the rust so it stops the oxidization. Comes in many colours and is really thick. It can be brushed, rolled or even sprayed with the right size gun.
I use it for rusty old farm equipment and it is tough as nails.
Hope this helps.
Glenn.

/ Repair rusty corregated metal roof #8  
I had a rusty metal roof with no flaking paint. We used Rustoleum silver/aluminum paint and it worked great. It was thin and watery and stuck just fine. It'll out-live most of us and was a relatively easy fix.
Sure, wire brush is the 100% correct way but would take a lot of work for marginal gain. Just my two cents.

/ Repair rusty corregated metal roof #9  
The roof on my barn was rusting. Covered it with aluminum fibrated roof coating 35 years ago. Stopped all rust. Barn is still in good condition. Has been re-coated 2 more times since first coating with same product.

/ Repair rusty corregated metal roof #10  
I am in need of 2.67" corrugated steel for a 40x100 Quonset I need the top 3 panels = 24 squares, would like 24 gauge but could use 26 remember this tin needs to be curved around a 40" circle