Surplus Delta Chop saw restoration

/ Surplus Delta Chop saw restoration #1  

Millsonwheels

Bronze Member
Well just recently I had a old 3 phase delta chop saw follow me home. Its quite the machine its has I believe a 12" abrasive blade on it now, I believe it was originally set up for a metal blade as it still has the coolant reservoir beneath the table.

I would like to go ahead and convert the motor to single phase for simplicity sake, and put it back in its original colors, or lack of.

Here is some basic info on the machine:

Type: TS
CAT: X7202 (EA?)
Motor: 3 Phase, 3 hp
Frame: 225
1725 RPM motor speed
Motor pulley: 6"
Blade pulley: 3"

Pictures to come....

/ Surplus Delta Chop saw restoration
alright here we go heres some pictures of the old old beast for you guys (and gals)

Mills

Attachments

• P3060218.jpg
    P3060218.jpg
    732.8 KB · Views: 569
  • P3060214.jpg
    P3060214.jpg
    714.3 KB · Views: 313
  • P3060217.jpg
    P3060217.jpg
    688.2 KB · Views: 681
  • P2270198.jpg
    P2270198.jpg
    601.6 KB · Views: 219

Thanks for that hr3, the chart is especially helpful. But i think ill stick with the current, cheaper, plan of just swapping out the motor.

Any recommended horsepower for my particular situation?

I was thinking 1.5-2.0 and instead of a 1725 rpm motor possibly going to a 3450 rpm and 1:1 ratio on my belts.

Thoughts?

/ Surplus Delta Chop saw restoration #5  
My first chop saw was homemade and kinda patterened on that DELTA.
I used a good quality 1/2 HP mounted it on a 2 x 4 square tubing that hinged in a balanced way driving a 12" abrasive blade on a short mandrel and belt drove it with a 3" driving a 2" on the mandrel.
We used it to cut angles and tubing to length at 90 deg.
That was B4 chop saws became popular.
Worked like a charm!
Added a blade and belt guard fabbed from scraps.
All that to basically say that all that power is perhaps overkill, maybe faster but even 1/2 hp will handle 1/4" stock OK as long as you don't push it hard.
Our main usage was to cut thin wall tubing for resale.
Trick is to feed it slow and not bog it down.
Not in all that much a rush, are U ?

/ Surplus Delta Chop saw restoration #6  
Thanks for that hr3, the chart is especially helpful. But i think ill stick with the current, cheaper, plan of just swapping out the motor.

Any recommended horsepower for my particular situation?

I was thinking 1.5-2.0 and instead of a 1725 rpm motor possibly going to a 3450 rpm and 1:1 ratio on my belts.

Thoughts?

I agree I would get a good quality 3450 rpm 2hp motor and 1:1 ratio. I have a Baldor TEFC 2 hp on my small table saw and it has been running for 18 years. I prefer three phase motors but only if you have the powerline available. I have converted all of my larger equipment to single phase because the three phase isn't available on the powerlines where I live.

I agree I would get a good quality 3450 rpm 2hp motor and 1:1 ratio. I have a Baldor TEFC 2 hp on my small table saw and it has been running for 18 years. I prefer three phase motors but only if you have the powerline available. I have converted all of my larger equipment to single phase because the three phase isn't available on the powerlines where I live.

Well we dont have three phase lines at home and we do have a phase converter in dads shop but I dont wont to have to depend on that to run the saw.

Would you think that would be enough power to run the abrasive blade without bogging down in solid stock?

/ Surplus Delta Chop saw restoration #8  
you could always call delta and see what parts they have for it. i repaired a deltal miter saw and they were very helpful.

/ Surplus Delta Chop saw restoration #9  
You can get a 10 hp rotary phase converter kit here for cheap:
Phase Converter Kit
Just add a motor. That 3 phase 3 horse is much more of a motor than a 2hp single phase. Then once you have the converter, all the other great deals on cheap 3 phase equipment are no brainers.

/ Surplus Delta Chop saw restoration #10  
Well we dont have three phase lines at home and we do have a phase converter in dads shop but I dont wont to have to depend on that to run the saw.

Would you think that would be enough power to run the abrasive blade without bogging down in solid stock?

If you need to cut alot of heavy solid stock you will need more than 2 hp, it depends on how you use it. My sliding table scoring saw has a 5 hp motor for the main blade and a 7/8 hp for the scoring blade and that is for wood not metal.

Have you used any of the carbide metal cutting blades? I am very impressed with them.