Over Seed Sandy pasture or till and seed?

/ Over Seed Sandy pasture or till and seed? #1  

MNBobcat

Platinum Member
Hi Guys,

I have a 15 acre field that I'll be flying an ultralight off of. Its currently grass and a lot of different kinds of weeds. The grass isn't thick and there are a lot of small patches of dirt. I would like to get some thicker grass growing. I've been dragging the field to level it and that has brought up a lot of sand. I'm trying to decide between hiring someone with a no till drill to seed it for me or tilling it all up and then seeding it. I'm concerned that if I till it all up I'll have trouble getting the grass to grow in the sand.

Would you recommend I have someone overseed it for me or would you till it all up and start fresh?

/ Over Seed Sandy pasture or till and seed? #2  
Hi Guys,

I have a 15 acre field that I'll be flying an ultralight off of. Its currently grass and a lot of different kinds of weeds. The grass isn't thick and there are a lot of small patches of dirt. I would like to get some thicker grass growing. I've been dragging the field to level it and that has brought up a lot of sand. I'm trying to decide between hiring someone with a no till drill to seed it for me or tilling it all up and then seeding it. I'm concerned that if I till it all up I'll have trouble getting the grass to grow in the sand.

Would you recommend I have someone overseed it for me or would you till it all up and start fresh?

You could check into hydro-seeding as a third option.
Dave.

/ Over Seed Sandy pasture or till and seed? #3  
Well it all depends on how smooth your ground is to start with. and it all depends on where you are located to what kind of grass will grow the best with the least disease pressure, drought tolerance and wear capability etc.

Till I find out exactly where you live a would just say over seed with an aggressive grass for your area, topdress with sand ( for drainage and firm surface) roll with a roller to smooth and add nitrogen in the spring to encourage good growth.