What kind of snake?

/ What kind of snake? #2  
Well I can only hope it's not tooooooo awful bad cuz it looks very much like the ones that periodically get in the house here. They find their way into the stone walls for the winter and sometimes get lost trying to get out in spring.

Which reminds me,.....s-s-s-s-p-p-ring is H-H-HERE !!!

CHHERS!
. . tug

/ What kind of snake? #3  
Looks like a Corn Snake - non venomous.

KY is certainly in its range. They make good pets, apparently, at least they do before the cat gets them!

J

/ What kind of snake? #4  
Yep, I'd agree. Corn Snake, Cow snake, we used to call 'em milk snakes or spotted adders... they eat a lot of mice.

They'll also coil up, raise their heads and waggle the tip of their tail just like a rattler, with no noise, of course.... and they WILL strike and bite. No fangs, no poison, but they can definitely make holes in your fingers. Around here they can get up to about 4' long, sometimes bigger. Overall they're beneficial for rodent control, but it's best to leave 'em alone. (This from experience...:eek:)

/ What kind of snake? #5  
I own two corn snakes and neither exhibit the curl up and bite behavior. Now every milk snake I've ever seen certainly will but every corn snake I've encountered has been downright docile by comparison.

/ What kind of snake?
The color is all wrong for a baby corn. It's probably a juvenile blue racer. The corn snake-like markings disappear at about 1 year old.

Now wifey saw a nice sized racer here right after we moved in to our home.

/ What kind of snake? #8  
I agree with the corn snake... many varieties but it certainly looks like one to me... When I was working as a naturalist in a state park, we had one we named Flo. She/he was a great pet. Tolerated handling well. (I was a park naturalist in the 80's. My last visit to the nature center last summer, Flo was still there. So they can also live a while, but I don't know if she is still living.