Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota B7610 + Kubota G1800-S

Default Truck cap hoist for removal/installation and storage

I thought others here might find this useful.

I wanted a way to easily get my truck cap on and off by myself, which also a way to store it without taking up more floor space. Here was my solution:

Click on the pictures to see larger:

I already had the winch from a previous project. My cap has side windows that open upwards, and no screens, so putting some 2x4's through the window opening was the easiest way to lift it. This particular cap has fiberglass extending down beyond the rails which rest on the bed (which covers the cap, giving it a more finished look), so storing this on the floor, or on a pallet rack would require clamping some boards to the rails to keep from putting any load on this fiberglass. It is a simple design with four cables to four pulleys to the four corners of the cap. This cables gather together to one, the coupling of which go across the ceiling to another pulley, and down the wall to the winch. I made the coupling go across the ceiling, as there wasn't enough distance from the pulley above the winch to the winch to be able to give it enough range to lower the cap to the floor if needed.

Once the cap is raised to storage height, I connect four safety straps to it to prevent accidentally lowering, or falling due to a winch failure, or curiosity of my 5 year old daughter.

The cap is actually over the cab of the truck where I normally park, as I had to have it far enough from the overhead door to keep it out of the way when the door is up. I just have to move whatever is parked in front of the truck so I can pull in a little further to get the cap on or off. I suppose I could back in to mount/unmount as well.
    '05 B7610 w/ LA352 FEL
    Everything Attachments Pin-on Pallet Forks, home-made FEL quick attach to swap between these forks and the bucket, Dual rear remotes, CCM Top-N-Tilt, Woods SB60 snowblower, 66" United box blade, 60" back blade (cheapo, old and rusty), 60" KK rake, Woods PHD w/ 9" auger, Yanmar RS1303 3pt tiller, Kubota Ballast box (came with the tractor), Farm Force Carry All.
    '9? G1800S, 48" MMM. 70's Troy Bilt Horse tiller with new 6.5HP briggs engine.

The means justify the ends.

Default Re: Truck cap hoist for removal/installation and storage

Genius ...

I dont have a cap for this reason. I would have to have help come over when I wanted to remove or put it back on. I have thought of something like this, but ultimately I would have lowered the cap to a dolly that I could roll around.

I would be interested in see a few more photo of how you tied the 4 cables together.
    This is another reason to build with at least 12' ceilings.

Wedge
    1967 Ford 4000, Box blade, straight blade, FEL, Rake, Bushhog, Backhoe, Jinma chipper, KKII tiller, Grapple.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by wedge40 View Post
    Genius ...

I dont have a cap for this reason. I would have to have help come over when I wanted to remove or put it back on. I have thought of something like this, but ultimately I would have lowered the cap to a dolly that I could roll around.

I would be interested in see a few more photo of how you tied the 4 cables together.
    This is another reason to build with at least 12' ceilings.

Wedge
    I used the following type cable clamp for the cable connections:

I connected the four cables to one side of a swivel (see picture as follows), and the main cable from the winch to the other side.
    '05 B7610 w/ LA352 FEL
    Everything Attachments Pin-on Pallet Forks, home-made FEL quick attach to swap between these forks and the bucket, Dual rear remotes, CCM Top-N-Tilt, Woods SB60 snowblower, 66" United box blade, 60" back blade (cheapo, old and rusty), 60" KK rake, Woods PHD w/ 9" auger, Yanmar RS1303 3pt tiller, Kubota Ballast box (came with the tractor), Farm Force Carry All.

Tractor
    Ford 1700

I've been thinking about setting one of these up. Thanks for posting, the ideas are appreciated.

Tractor
    A couple

I like it.
    Paraphrasing Douglas Adams - So long and thanks for all the bacon.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    bx2200

I tried something simular and it kinda worked, I did not take the idea far enough. I used ropes and "eye" hooks, it was a pain to keep the cap level. it allways seemed to want to tilt one way or the other.Do the rollers keep the resistance even on all 4 corners?
    kubota BX2200, la211 FEL, rk60b MMM, Landpride PD10 Auger W/extention, Box blade, 3pt Rear blade, Landpride LR05 landscape rake, John Deere rear pto driven tiller

Elite Member

You might could do the same thing with a pair of bike hoists. You'd want to check the load capacity versus the weight of the cap to be sure it didn't break and drop on your truck.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by johann View Post
    I tried something simular and it kinda worked, I did not take the idea far enough. I used ropes and "eye" hooks, it was a pain to keep the cap level. it allways seemed to want to tilt one way or the other.Do the rollers keep the resistance even on all 4 corners?
    Yes, the rollers keep the cable moving nicely, even when lowering the cables without a load.

Quote Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
    You might could do the same thing with a pair of bike hoists. You'd want to check the load capacity versus the weight of the cap to be sure it didn't break and drop on your truck.
    Most fiberglass caps are probably way too heavy for a bike hoist. I like overkill. The four smaller cables are rated for 800 lbs each, and the larger cable 2500 lbs. My cap probably weights 200 lbs.
    '05 B7610 w/ LA352 FEL

Elite Member

Might work on a subcompact aluminum topper.

Quite a rig you built.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
    Might work on a subcompact aluminum topper.

Quite a rig you built.
    Thanks!
    '05 B7610 w/ LA352 FEL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast