Cedar post fence

/ Cedar post fence
The only time I have seen cedar posts upside down is when my Uncle dug up a fence, after 40 years, then turned the posts over and put them back into the ground. The old "ground" end looked like it had been turned down, but the heart was still good.
When you see a post that is 12 inches at one end, and 6 at the other end, it just looks too odd to put the small end in the ground. The bigger end gives more support mass in the ground also.
hugs, Brandi

/ Cedar post fence #32  
Thanks for the pictures

/ Cedar post fence
A friend loaned me a high dollar pressure washer and I made a lot of cedar bark mulch this weekend. Saturday I blasted a dozen 7 foot posts and one 14 foot gate post. I stated with only rubber boots on, but after my soaks got wet, I went in and changed and put on a rain suit.
hugs, Brandi
12-1-12 Cedar Bark Mess.jpg12-1-12 Pressure Washing Gate Post.jpg

/ Cedar post fence #35  
I didnt know you Texans even knew what rain gear was Brandi much less had it:laughing:

Cedar posts are looking good, gotta love those pressure washers!

/ Cedar post fence
I didnt know you Texans even knew what rain gear was Brandi much less had it:laughing:

Cedar posts are looking good, gotta love those pressure washers!

Rick,
Nice to hear from you. Yeah, I have an old rain suit from work. Airline Mechanics do all sorts of stuff in the dark out in the rain. Your not at fish camp right now, are you?

I am downloading photos I took this evening of the debarking I did Sunday, so I will post soon.

/ Cedar post fence #37  
Am still out here for a bit longer, blew up my 300 horse and dont want to run 130 miles at 6.5 knots this time of year so kinda hanging out piddling with projects waitin for a tow. Gettin a lot of TBN time:D Havent seen you on nice to see you on here too!

/ Cedar post fence
Here is a stack of pressure washed cedar posts. 12-2-12 Stack of debarked Cedar Posts.jpg I used a zero degree nozzle and it worked great. Pressure washing leaves a huge mess around the area and you need two baths to get clean. I tried the 15 degree nozzle first, but the zero degree nozzle worked better. The smaller posts debark fast. But the big (10-14 inch diameter) post have numerous large and small crevices that seems to grow over the bark and these took a while to debark. Next posts I do will just be what goes into the ground. I will leave the exposed (not in the ground) on and let if sluff off itself.
It really is a toss up on debarking by hand or pressure washing. Each has it's positives and negatives. Wash it the same spot too long and the white wood will start fraying. One will wear your hands out and the other just plumb wears you out.
hugs, Brandi

/ Cedar post fence
Rick,
So sorry to hear that. Put a prop on your Kubota! Here in East Texas we used to have upwards of 36 inches of rain a year. Gotta water those Yellow Pine trees real well.
hugs, Brandi

/ Cedar post fence #40  
Brandi, have you ever tried those rotary/turbo nozzles? They are 0 degree but spin around so you cover a bigger area, doesnt sit on a single spot and are lot easier on your hand and they work great. We use one on our pressure washer for 1 to 3 hours a day every day we salmon fish to keep the nets clean, my daughter calls it the "cone of clean".