Cedar post fence

/ Cedar post fence #1  

bindian

Tractor
Mahindra 6520 4WD
A couple of months ago, I asked (in the South forum) where I could get cedar posts cheap. Lee (Weldingisfun) offered to let me take all I could cut down and trim.:thumbsup: I will be using these cedars for a fence from my barn along my driveway and curving past the pond. Back on April 10th I was at his Goat Ranch and we worked hard. I cut the trees down and he drove his tractor and we both trimmed. Hard thing about it was we had to chain and pull the trees off a draw over a stream. We would have had a lot harder time loading my trailer if it was not for Lee's Mahindra 4500 and loader. We sat the loader bucket over a bunch of logs and wrapped a chain around them and the bucket to sling the logs to my trailer. Here are a few photos from unloading the trailer this afternoon and stacking the cedar. I counted 45 posts anywhere in size from 12 inches down to 4 inches and about a dozen braceing posts. I used the Big RED Beast to unload without breaking a sweat.
hugs, Brandi

Attachments

• 4-23-10 Unloading Cedar Logs.jpg
    4-23-10 Unloading Cedar Logs.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 380
  • 4-23-10 Stacking Cedar Logs.jpg
    4-23-10 Stacking Cedar Logs.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 407
  • 4-23-10 Six to Twelve Inch Cedar Logs.jpg
    4-23-10 Six to Twelve Inch Cedar Logs.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 450
  • 4-23-10 Cedar Logs and Big RED Beast.jpg
    4-23-10 Cedar Logs and Big RED Beast.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 698
   / Cedar post fence #2  
A lot of posts there.

Two questions:

1. Do you debark those before using or do you use them as is?

2. Do you burry the big end or the small end?

/ Cedar post fence
A lot of posts there.

Two questions:

1. Do you debark those before using or do you use them as is?

2. Do you burry the big end or the small end?

CurlyDave,
I will debark them. I salvaged a cedar log from Hurricane Ike debris back in 2008 and the bark is falling off of it now. Why would I want to bury the small end?
hugs, Brandi

/ Cedar post fence #4  
Brandi:

Somewhere I read about people installing them small end down for a reason which escapes my tired old brain at the moment.

I was hoping you might know.

/ Cedar post fence #5  
I pile the posts to cure for a year or so and then the bark comes off with little effort. I have put little and big ends in the ground -- not sure it really makes any difference -- just depends on what fits in the post hole:eek:

/ Cedar post fence
I pile the posts to cure for a year or so and then the bark comes off with little effort. I have put little and big ends in the ground -- not sure it really makes any difference -- just depends on what fits in the post hole:eek:

I got 2 or 3 of my Dad's draw knives. They peel bark most easily.
hugs, Brandi

/ Cedar post fence #7  
The guys around here who work with cedar logs commercially use a 3000 psi pressure washer to debark. If you have access to one, you might give it a try. Don't have one myself so I can't testify to their effectiveness.
Glad you got it all home OK.:)

/ Cedar post fence
The guys around here who work with cedar logs commercially use a 3000 psi pressure washer to debark. If you have access to one, you might give it a try. Don't have one myself so I can't testify to their effectiveness.
Glad you got it all home OK.:)

Thanks Lee! It sure was easier unloading then loading. Only problem I had was getting all the logs with the big ends in the same direction. All my trees slowed that process. I rent a pressure washer every few years to clean off my wood deck and anything else that needs it. I was going to rent one this summer, but sooner now.
hugs, Brandi

/ Cedar post fence #9  
Years ago I hauled Atlantic White Cedar posts out of Canada into New York state for farm and vinyard use. The mill in Canada would put a point on the butt end (kind of like a big pencile sharpener, lol) and leave the bark on. There were two sizes, one about two or three inches or so and the other five or six or so.

I would think the heavier butt end down would be best for a good anchor. That is the only way I ever saw it down, pounded or drilled.

/ Cedar post fence #10  
I've used both a draw knife and press washer to debark my cedars....can't say which I prefer ...bit of a toss up. The press washer is a little easier but sure makes a heck of a mess....a lot more than the draw knife even.