Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Mahindra 6520 4WD

Default Cedar post fence

A couple of months ago, I asked (in the South forum) where I could get cedar posts cheap. Lee (Weldingisfun) offered to let me take all I could cut down and trim. I will be using these cedars for a fence from my barn along my driveway and curving past the pond. Back on April 10th I was at his Goat Ranch and we worked hard. I cut the trees down and he drove his tractor and we both trimmed. Hard thing about it was we had to chain and pull the trees off a draw over a stream. We would have had a lot harder time loading my trailer if it was not for Lee's Mahindra 4500 and loader. We sat the loader bucket over a bunch of logs and wrapped a chain around them and the bucket to sling the logs to my trailer. Here are a few photos from unloading the trailer this afternoon and stacking the cedar. I counted 45 posts anywhere in size from 12 inches down to 4 inches and about a dozen braceing posts. I used the Big RED Beast to unload without breaking a sweat.
    hugs, Brandi
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cedar post fence-4-23-10-unloading-cedar   Cedar post fence-4-23-10-stacking-cedar   Cedar post fence-4-23-10-six-twelve   Cedar post fence-4-23-10-cedar-logs  

Tractor
    JD TLB 110

Default Re: Cedar post fence

A lot of posts there.

Two questions:

1. Do you debark those before using or do you use them as is?

2. Do you burry the big end or the small end?
    40 Acres on a hill - fantastic view. JD 110 TLB, 4-n-1, 12" bucket, 18" bucket, Addington thumb, rock bucket (doubles as root grapple)

Not only do we not understand the universe, if someone explained it to us, we would not know what he was talking about.

Isaac Asimov

Tractor
    Mahindra 6520 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyDave View Post
    A lot of posts there.

Two questions:

1. Do you debark those before using or do you use them as is?

2. Do you burry the big end or the small end?
    CurlyDave,
    I will debark them. I salvaged a cedar log from Hurricane Ike debris back in 2008 and the bark is falling off of it now. Why would I want to bury the small end?
    hugs, Brandi

Tractor
    JD TLB 110

Brandi:

Somewhere I read about people installing them small end down for a reason which escapes my tired old brain at the moment.

I was hoping you might know.
    40 Acres on a hill - fantastic view. JD 110 TLB, 4-n-1, 12" bucket, 18" bucket, Addington thumb, rock bucket (doubles as root grapple)

Not only do we not understand the universe, if someone explained it to us, we would not know what he was talking about.

Isaac Asimov

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Jinma 284(Spirit fel), MF 135 (MF200 fel)

I pile the posts to cure for a year or so and then the bark comes off with little effort. I have put little and big ends in the ground -- not sure it really makes any difference -- just depends on what fits in the post hole

Tractor
    Mahindra 6520 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by studor View Post
    I pile the posts to cure for a year or so and then the bark comes off with little effort. I have put little and big ends in the ground -- not sure it really makes any difference -- just depends on what fits in the post hole
    I got 2 or 3 of my Dad's draw knives. They peel bark most easily.
    hugs, Brandi

Tractor
    Mahindra 4500 4WD w/FEL, and Scotts S2048 lawn tractor

The guys around here who work with cedar logs commercially use a 3000 psi pressure washer to debark. If you have access to one, you might give it a try. Don't have one myself so I can't testify to their effectiveness.
    Glad you got it all home OK.

Tractor
    Mahindra 6520 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by weldingisfun View Post
    The guys around here who work with cedar logs commercially use a 3000 psi pressure washer to debark. If you have access to one, you might give it a try. Don't have one myself so I can't testify to their effectiveness.
    Glad you got it all home OK.
    Thanks Lee! It sure was easier unloading then loading. Only problem I had was getting all the logs with the big ends in the same direction. All my trees slowed that process. I rent a pressure washer every few years to clean off my wood deck and anything else that needs it. I was going to rent one this summer, but sooner now.
    hugs, Brandi

Veteran Member

Years ago I hauled Atlantic White Cedar posts out of Canada into New York state for farm and vinyard use. The mill in Canada would put a point on the butt end (kind of like a big pencile sharpener, lol) and leave the bark on. There were two sizes, one about two or three inches or so and the other five or six or so.

I would think the heavier butt end down would be best for a good anchor. That is the only way I ever saw it down, pounded or drilled.

Tractor
    NH TC45

I've used both a draw knife and press washer to debark my cedars....can't say which I prefer ...bit of a toss up. The press washer is a little easier but sure makes a heck of a mess....a lot more than the draw knife even.
    Mike

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast