Advice needed.

/ Advice needed. #1  

warhammer

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SE HST
I am in the process of trying to convert 9 acres from unused land to pasture.
I have cleared the brush and dead trees, sent soil out for a analysis, subsoiled to break up the hardpan and disced at different angles over several passes. Below is a pic of one of the fields.
Does this need to be disced more or is it ready to be firmed up?
To firm the bed up I am looking at either buying a chain harrow to run tines up or a 10 foot cultipacker. From what I have read the cultipacker should do a better job. Using the cultipacker to firm up the seedbed, broadcast the grass seed and then cultipack again to press the seed into the soil a workable method?
The chain harrow I would buy new. The cultipacker is an old drawbar type that I found at a used farm equipment place. Pic of the cultipacker below.
Anything I need to look for on the used cultipacker that would render it a bad buy?

WarHammer

Attachments

• DSCN1488.JPG
    DSCN1488.JPG
    172.7 KB · Views: 167
  • DSCN1581.JPG
    DSCN1581.JPG
    194.8 KB · Views: 160
   / Advice needed. #3  
I am in the process of trying to convert 9 acres from unused land to pasture.
I have cleared the brush and dead trees, sent soil out for a analysis, subsoiled to break up the hardpan and disced at different angles over several passes. Below is a pic of one of the fields.
Does this need to be disced more or is it ready to be firmed up?
To firm the bed up I am looking at either buying a chain harrow to run tines up or a 10 foot cultipacker. From what I have read the cultipacker should do a better job. Using the cultipacker to firm up the seedbed, broadcast the grass seed and then cultipack again to press the seed into the soil a workable method?
The chain harrow I would buy new. The cultipacker is an old drawbar type that I found at a used farm equipment place. Pic of the cultipacker below.
Anything I need to look for on the used cultipacker that would render it a bad buy?

WarHammer

I'd just broadcast the seed and press it in with the cultipacker. I have a 10-ft cultipacker similar to yours. When I planted Kanota oats on 6 acres last Nov, I disced the field like you did with a 7-ft offset disc and hitched tires to the disc to break up the clods. Then I used my 10-ft grain drill (20 rows) to sow the seed. The drill has chains to cover the seed. No problems. I now have a pretty nice stand of hay that I'll mow, rake and bale in a few weeks. Didn't even bother to use the cultiipacker.