Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota L4740 HST with FEL

Default Flatbed Trailer for a Bridge

I found a 8' x 40' flatbed trailer that I think would make a good bridge.The bridge is needed for my tractor. The seller will pull it to my ranch (40 miles one way), take off the axles and install the trailer across the stream for $1,200. The trailer is in very good condition with an adequate wood deck for a bridge. I plan to just pull it across the stream (currently dry) and let the trailer ends just lie on the ground. It will be about 5' above the stream bed. The stream is about 20' wide and dry 90% of the time and even after very hard rains does not go out of its bank.
    Has anyone done this? Do you have pictures? Does the price seem right? Thanks.
    Last edited by Rockin' G Ranch; 04-28-2010 at 09:26 AM.

Tractor
    Kubota B7800, B26 TLB

Default Re: Flatbed Trailer for a Bridge

No info on this but what a great idea!!!!
    Working to increase the scope of the small tractor experience, one quick attach at a time.

Tractor
    New holland TC(33)

i say go for it, but i would put some concrete abutments with rebar and weld it to the frame as opposed to just setting it on the ground with no prep.
    Steve - TC33D 4x4 FEL, dual rear remotes with toys

Elite Member
    Tractor
    265 MF / JD 310B Backhoe

It was much shorter I saw something on that order. For an abutment he used old utility poles cut into lengths that left a few inches sticking out of the post holes he dug. That would keep the metal out of the dirt and you could back fill each end for a ramp. Of course one could counter sink it in the soil.

On the second thought just give him the $1200 and get it done. In a year or two you can do it differently if you see the need.

Tractor
    Yanmar LX4900//Cub 7532//Cub Yanmar SC2400

Quote Originally Posted by Rockin' G Ranch View Post
    I found a 8' x 40' flatbed trailer that I think would make a good bridge.The bridge is needed for my tractor. The seller will pull it to my ranch (40 miles one way), take off the axles and install the trailer across the stream for $1,200. The trailer is in very good condition with an adequate wood deck for a bridge. I plant to just pull it across the stream (currently dry) and let the trailer ends just lie on the ground. It will be about 5' above the stream bed. The stream is about 20' wide and dry 90% of the time and even after very hard rains does not go out of its bank.
    Has anyone done this? Do you have pictures? Does the price seem right? Thanks.
    Does he have any more to sell, deliver and install?? I'm up against the same issue, but WAY down the road. I'm already scheming in my head on how to do it, I'm thinking a bunch of logs bound together, and plank over the top of them....but lots of work.
    IMO, for 1200 bucks to sit back and watch, you are doing extremely well.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK45S

Trailers make great bridges. Some just dig holes for the wheels & landing gear. Makes a good anchor to prevent the flood current moving everything downstream. MikeD74T

Tractor
    Kubota B7800, B26 TLB

Quote Originally Posted by schmism View Post
    i say go for it, but i would put some concrete abutments with rebar and weld it to the frame as opposed to just setting it on the ground with no prep.
    I second this idea.
    Working to increase the scope of the small tractor experience, one quick attach at a time.

Tractor
    JD 1025, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010

I bought some aluminum ATV ramps to cover a drainage area into a culvert underneath my driveway, to keep the driveway from being eroded away. I then installed a mortarless wall on top the ramp beside the driveway. This has worked great for almost 10 years now. It's a similar idea to what you're proposing.

I've built 2 types of bridges across small streams between my property and neighbors'. I've made one just out of 4x4s with 1bys across them. This, of course, will not support the tractor. For tractor access to do trails across the neighbors' properties, I put in some PVC pipes parallel to the stream and covered them with earth, rocks and concrete. I put a 4x4 along the top on the upstream side to keep it from being eroded there. This has worked well. I occasionally have to put in some river rocks because even they sometimes get carried away. Putting full bags of rocks or whole bags of cement seem to work the best rather than pouring the contents out.

I've recommend tying your trailer to some big trees or to big stakes upstream if you don't have the trees nearby. My wooden foot bridge is done this way. Maybe the trailer will be heavy enough to not float away, but I'd still do the ties.

Ralph
    The natural gardener
    God's original intent

Tractor
    Kubota L4740 HST with FEL

Thanks for the comments. Here is a picture of the trailer. The owner will remove the axles and front jack prior to installing it as a bridge. I will take more pictures when it is installed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flatbed Trailer for a Bridge-flatbed.jpg  

Tractor
    Kubota BX24

That trailer looks like it's in decent condition. However, I do second some sort of foundation for the trailer to sit on. It doesn't matter if you dig a hole and fill with large boulders, or concrete/rebar or blocks or put large logs like locust or cedar with flat top. Understandably the logs will rot away over time, but will last as long the trailer is since its buried.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast