6 Steps to a New Steel Arch Building

/ 6 Steps to a New Steel Arch Building #1  

NSBound

Platinum Member
Tractor
Landini 4140 HST
I decided that I needed more storage space. My garage is packed, and I have tractor stuff strewn all around the yard, I had a vinyl shelter in the way in the driveway all winter (it did a good job but it got in the way when clearing snow), and I had my boat parked outside all winter.

I considered a stick-built out-building, and then I got a flyer on the mail from Future Steel Buildings. Future Steel - Residential & Commercial Arch Steel Buildings . They had some good prices and the overall orice would be cheaper and last longer than if I just built a wood building.

So, I ordered one 20' wide X 25' long, 11'6" high in the centre, closed on the rear only, open at the front. At least that's for now - I'll see what this winter brings and decide if I have to close in the front too.

So the 6 steps -

1. Excavate. I wanted the building right where there is a bit of a hill. I figure I took out about 8 dump truck loads of soil and redistributed it around my property. I'll be making some rock gardens and flower beds that will use a lot of it.
Step1.jpg

2. Get 2" rock for the base. After the 2", I finished off the base with some 3/4 special (clear).
Step2.jpg

3. Get the cement guy in to set the forms and wire mesh and rebar.
Step3.jpg

4. Get the slab poured. It's 1 foot deep around the perimeter and 18" wide, tapering to 4" in the floor area. I used 4000 psi cement and I needed 13 yards.
Step4.jpg

5. Start assembly. I used the "regular duty" pallet forks on the tractor to unload the skids of parts off the huge flatbead truck that delivered them to my driveway. The tractor's loader limit is 2350 lbs, and the pallet forks limit is 2000 lbs, but with a bit of a grunt, it picked up 2400 lbs off the truck and carried it, sloooowwwwly, in the driveway. Oh, also, it helps to have a neighbour with staging.
Step5.jpg

6. Finish assembly. It took 3 people 3 days to put it all together. There are 2100 nuts and bolts holding this building together, and it's anchored into the cement at every rib. It will never blow away!
Step6.jpg

:):):)

Last edited:
   / 6 Steps to a New Steel Arch Building #2  
Looks good Ian. Thanks for posting the pictures.

/ 6 Steps to a New Steel Arch Building #3  
Nice pics of a job well done. :thumbsup:
What did you use for tightening the nuts and bolts?
Could one person put this together or is it a 2-3 person job?

/ 6 Steps to a New Steel Arch Building
Nice pics of a job well done. :thumbsup:
What did you use for tightening the nuts and bolts?
Could one person put this together or is it a 2-3 person job?

We just used ratchets and sockets. I have an air compressor but the bolts have rubber washers and I didn't want to crush them too much. The instructions actually say to tighten them to 8 ft/lbs, so it's just finger tight plus one good turn.

It's best as a 4-person job, but 3 can do it. You assemble the arches flat on the ground then lift them up into place, and that part takes 3 people. Tightening the nuts and bolts could be done by 2 people, but not one, it'd be too much running around plus you need someone on the other side of the part you're working on to hold the nut or turn the bolt (or vice-versa :)). And believe me when I say that all 3 of us were tired and sore after the 3 days! Especially very sore fingers from finger-tightening all those nuts and bolts.

Last edited:
   / 6 Steps to a New Steel Arch Building #5  
I'll bet a drill/screw driver with a slip clutch would work great for those bolts and nuts. You can set those very light and the clutch stays pretty consistent.
Very nice structure. The open end will be handier than a closed end for most of the year.

I'll bet a drill/screw driver with a slip clutch would work great for those bolts and nuts. You can set those very light and the clutch stays pretty consistent.

I think you're right on that. It would sure be easier on the fingers! :eek:

/ 6 Steps to a New Steel Arch Building #7  
I used impact. worked like a charm once everything was set.Good job on the building.

/ 6 Steps to a New Steel Arch Building #8  
I think its a great way to build and if I was 30 years younger I,d be doing it just like you.Any plans to finish inside?or just cold storage.No snow load worries:laughing:Dave

I think its a great way to build and if I was 30 years younger I,d be doing it just like you.Any plans to finish inside?or just cold storage.No snow load worries:laughing:Dave

Well, the 3 of us that did the work are all "around" 60. I think we all suffered equally and were glad to be done. Nothing extreme, just general aches and pains from using muscles that hadn't been used for awhile. Oh, and no short people need apply to put these together. The taller you are the quicker the job goes. No plans to finish except maybe a couple work benches. No electricity, no lights - just for cold storage, as you say :).