Posts for a pond pier?

/ Posts for a pond pier? #1  

bulldog02

I have a small 2 acre pond that has a clay bottom. I am wanting to build a T shaped permanent pier. My question to yall is if I use 6X6 treated posts and place them in a 5 gal bucket and then fill the bucket up with concrete, will this be a good enough foundation for the pier? I have even thought about placing a 1ft square piece of 1/4 or 3/8 steel plate on the bottom? I have used metal posts before and welded 18 wheeler brake drums to the bottom and it work perfectly. I do not want a floating pier. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

/ Posts for a pond pier? #2  
I have a small 2 acre pond that has a clay bottom. I am wanting to build a T shaped permanent pier. My question to yall is if I use 6X6 treated posts and place them in a 5 gal bucket and then fill the bucket up with concrete, will this be a good enough foundation for the pier? I have even thought about placing a 1ft square piece of 1/4 or 3/8 steel plate on the bottom? I have used metal posts before and welded 18 wheeler brake drums to the bottom and it work perfectly. I do not want a floating pier. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I've seen 15 gallon nursery buckets with 4" ABS pipe with concrete inside used for light duty piers... the closest one to me has been there at least 15 years.

/ Posts for a pond pier? #3  
Locust posts will last many years.

/ Posts for a pond pier? #4  
White oak will last a long, long time in water. It was often used in older commercial piers. Incidentally, treated lumber is not used for docks and piers in water due to the chemical leaching.
Dave.

/ Posts for a pond pier? #5  
I drove 8" galvanized, corrogated pipe about 2' into my clay bottom, drove in a couple of pieces of 3/4" rebar inside each one (you'll need to pump them out unless using hydraulic cement) and filled with concrete...been that way for years. Should note that if your pond is in a windy area you'll be surprised at the lateral forces on your dock and it will try to move quite easily. This method eliminates that concern.

/ Posts for a pond pier? #6  
This sounds a little far fetched, but it worked well for me. Get a couple of car or pickup tires and wheels, enough 6" pvc pipe to get you out of the water, 2 glue on end caps for the pipe, 2 pieces of #4 (1/2") rebar, and a few bags of concrete mix. Glue the end caps on the pipe and use some steel flat bar to bolt the pipe vertically to the center of each wheel/tire. Remove valve caps and cores from tires and fill with water. Place these where you want your piers to be and level them up. Mix some concrete mix and start dumping it in the pipe. Stick a piece of rebar in each as you fill them. When you get to the level you want, just cut off the excess pipe and stick a post anchor in the concrete to attach your deck to. Nothing to leach into the water and fish hooks won't hang up on the PVC pipe when you reel in "the big one".:licking:...Dan.

/ Posts for a pond pier? #7  
I pumped out pond first so I could have dry dirt to deal with before constuction. Made it easy to build it the way I wanted. Worked out great and I was able to establish the pond fish stocking to my wants.

/ Posts for a pond pier? #8  
like others said, use PVC if you dont want to drain the pond, 4" schedule 80 for a smaller pier works for larger pier use 6", leave bottom of the pipe open. mark the water line (2 feet above water) for each post once it is on the bottom. drop into lake (wade or boat) and drive into the clay mud bottom as far as you can, the 2' mark minimum but be sure to try & keep them level when driving them in.. Once they are all set mark level for your pier (same amount above water level), remember that the pier will sink some more after weight starts getting on it so make it 6" or so higher than you want it to end up. drill a series of holes in the pipes evenly spaced above the water line that bolts can be slide through the pipe, install S.S. bolts with rubber washers under heads & nuts snug to prevent leaks. (now if you want railings) mark the height above water that you want the railings to end up being above the deck. (remember to add the decking thickness to this height) mark this location evenly around all the pipe sticking up & cut off the excess. rent/buy a hosed trash pump and suck out the water from each of the pipes and fill with mixed concrete. Some water running in is OK the concrete will sink to bottom and push out excess water. Fill the posts to the top and install "T" or "U" bolts facing UP in the very top of the posts to fasten top rail to if you plan on using wood railings. if you plan on PVC railings then you can buy proper "T" fittings for the pipe and install them as needed. other option is to cut vertical pipes off high enough above water to attach only the framing/decking boards. and build all wood above water level.

steps to remember prior to filling with concrete install all needed nuts bolts & hardware, square up all the posts to each other and in-line with each other.

options for driving the posts are using water jet, down through the center of the pipes, lay them onto bottom standing up use a 1" high flowing pump and hosing and longer length of pipe to JET the posts in this works great when there is a lot of gravel in bottom. all of the jet part can be fabbed up from standard PVC parts. water pushes the sand gravel out of the way while you apply pressure to the 4" pipe and the 4'' will sink pretty quickly in the right type of bottom... you will get wet! :p

Mark

/ Posts for a pond pier? #9  
Incidentally, treated lumber is not used for docks and piers in water due to the chemical leaching.
Dave.

I believe that "marine" salt treated lumber is O.K. to use.

Mark

/ Posts for a pond pier?
I am going to try and find some marine treated posts around here and use them. If not guess im just gonna find or make some metal posts? Thanks for the suggestions... Cleaned up around the pond Sat. morning and killed A giant cottonmouth and and copperhead... Thats the first order of business KILLING SNAKES!