Tile first or not?

/ Tile first or not? #1  

bake321

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 9540, Kubota RTV900
I've looked at his both ways and wondered what you guys think? Should I lay the floor tile first and then install the cabinets or install the cabinets first. I'm leaning toward doing the tile first seeing as it it 18"x18" travertine.

Cary

/ Tile first or not? #2  
I've looked at his both ways and wondered what you guys think? Should I lay the floor tile first and then install the cabinets or install the cabinets first. I'm leaning toward doing the tile first seeing as it it 18"x18" travertine.

Cary

When I just did my kitchen, the cabinet installers wanted the tile down first then they installed the cabinets on top of the tile. Cleaner look in my opinion also.

-Scot

/ Tile first or not? #3  
Tile first will give a cleaner look along the toe kick line. Another advantage is that if you change appliances, especially a dishwasher, there is less worry about where the toe kick meets the floor. If you remodel the kitchen years later, if removes a potential problem of cabinet/appliance placement needing to match where the tile ends.

Dave.

/ Tile first or not? #4  
In our bathrooms, we put the tile in first. I think it is a better looking install, and has the advantage that if you ever change your cabinet footprint, the tile will already be there. The disadvantage would be if you want to change your tile, then you will have your old tile under your cabinets.

I would put the tile down first.

/ Tile first or not? #5  
Me and Dave were typing at the same time (hee-hee). Great minds think alike - and small minds roll in the same rut!

/ Tile first or not? #6  
Look at it this way, the "professionals", you know the guys that build new construction houses that new homeowners usually fight with on a daily basis, usually only tile up to the cabinets in both kitchens and bathrooms, the reason for this is to save a buck.
I have tiled my share of bathrooms and kitchens and ALWAYS tile under the cabinets, mostly for all the reasons already mentioned. For me the biggest reason is the way it looks when its complete. It usually requires less cuts and if the floor is realitively flat, you can get away without using any (or very little) moulding to cover up the cut ends, it's a much more professional look. Remember to take into consideration the added hieght, although minimal, that the tile board and tile will add to the countertop (for backsplash, outlets, etc)

/ Tile first or not?
Thanks for the replys. Looks like i'm on the right track.

/ Tile first or not? #9  
Cary,
Great question. I hadn't even thought about the order. As we are getting ready to have our cabinets made, the timing of this post is perfect for us. It seems to make sense to install the tile in our bathrooms before the cabinets are installed.

We will have hardwood flooring in the kitchen. The wife informed me that we will install the kitchen cabinets after the hardwood flooring for a cleaner look.

Obed

/ Tile first or not? #10  
Hi 321,
I have installed cabinets, counters, in many, many kitchens, and bathrooms.
I have seen it done both ways. One way is the cheaper way. Yep, the no flooring under the cabinet way. Do the entire floor! Either look can look acceptable/ok. Personally, I do not like the toe kick height shortened. It brings the cabinet bottom/doors to close to the floor. If you decide to change that cabinet layout down the road, you better hope you did the entire floor.

Raymond Jordan
BX 25