Gardening with Plastic Mulch

/ Gardening with Plastic Mulch #1  

Spudland_Dave

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 3520 Cab, Deere F935
I've got a larger garden...not a Field my any means....but what I'd consider to be a good sized garden. I spent the day Saturday weeding the bleeping thing (wife is 11 months pregnant so that leaves me as a 1 man band in the garden) and my legs are still killing me this morning :laughing:
So, got to thinking and looking a little bit...I think the game plan for next year might be to go with plastic mulch. I'd think a plastic covered bed would make for minimal weeding and easy watering?

Obvisouly its too late to do anything this year, but I'd like to get my stuff together and formulate a game plan and gather then necessary parts & pieces to do this.

Anybody have any insight, tips or tricks on how to get started? I'm not a noob at gardening or farming, but the whole plastic mulch thing is a totally new experience for me.

Thanks for any help!

/ Gardening with Plastic Mulch #2  
I used landscape fabric in the garden this year for the first time. It's still early, but it seems to be making things a lot easier on me. I just put it in rows, and till in between. I have to ask, 11 months? My wife is 8 1/2 and already ready to go. :D

/ Gardening with Plastic Mulch #3  
My neighbours use shredded strips of newspaper as mulch between the rows. It allows rainwater through, prevents weed growth, and at the end of the season he tills it into the soil and it decomposes. It's a bit messy when it's dry and windy when the wind throws the bits of newspaper around, but not too bad, if you can get over the look.

/ Gardening with Plastic Mulch #4  
I have about 1/4 acre garden for our vegetables. I plant things at least 12 inches apart. I use our large rear tine tiller on the rows, and a small 4 cycle cultivator between the plants. If germinating grass and weeds are your problem, spreading preen around everything does a good job keeping things clean as well.

As for plastic, landscape fabric, etc., they all will work. For me, it is an appearance thing. I want the garden to look nice.

/ Gardening with Plastic Mulch #5  
weeding is part of gardening. I try to mulch my rows early to ******/stop weed growth. Once the initial hand weeding is done the garden is easier to maintain if you continue to mulch. Here is a sequence of how I do my onions. I till with a 5.5' tiller, create a trench in the middle putting the soil on either side for a raised bed effect, put rotted manure in that depression and cover with mulch. Very few weeds grow and I am building the soil at the same time. Onions are plated in a staggered double row to facilitate easy hand weeding. Onions produced are rounder because of looser raised bed.

Attachments

• trench made.jpg
    trench made.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 334
  • adding manure to trench.jpg
    adding manure to trench.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 297
  • trench filled.jpg
    trench filled.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 218
  • covered with mulch.jpg
    covered with mulch.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 238
   / Gardening with Plastic Mulch #6  
i use the plastic mulch in my gardens both plots combined are about 3/4 of an ac, you can also use straw to mulch around the plants as well. the plastic mulch works best for me. b4 this year i use to plow then harrow and rototill and build the raised rows by hand then lay the plastic by hand, lots of labor building rows by hand. this season i purchased a row builder for my 3pt hitch and build the raised rows w/ that then layed the plastic by hand. about 3 yrs ago i bought a roll of the plastic mulch 3ftx4kft, it was about $50 shipped to my door i believe since the price has gone up though, i'm still using the same roll this year. i also made a stand out of wood to hold the roll while i walk out the plastic kind like a big paper towel dispenser, when i get to the end of the row i lay the plastic down and then bury the edges in the dirt working my way back to the roll then cut it off w/ shears when i get to the end. its a bit labor intensive but my soon to be wife almost never helps in the cropping so i'm a 1 man show the plastic mulch has made growing much easier for me and i seem to get better crops by using it. when i plant i just bring out my seedlings and lay them down next to where i want them and then use a utility knife and cut a small square and then dig and place my seedling. i still have to do some weeding but not like i used to, i still pull any weeds that come up in w/ the plants and i also need to weed along the edge of the plastic row and inbetween the rows, but w/ the spacing i use i'm able to run my roto tiller through the rows on a weekly basis except whn i get near the pumpkins and winter squash and other viney plants. we've had about 3 days worth of some rain/showers and i haven't been able to go inbetween the rows in about a week so you see some weeds but nothing like it would be w/ out using the mulch.

Attachments

• 2010 garden.jpg
    2010 garden.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,895
   / Gardening with Plastic Mulch #7  
farmerjim,
Does that mulch bio-degrade or do you have to remove it at the end of the growing season? Do you a pic of your row builder?

/ Gardening with Plastic Mulch
I used landscape fabric in the garden this year for the first time. It's still early, but it seems to be making things a lot easier on me. I just put it in rows, and till in between. I have to ask, 11 months? My wife is 8 1/2 and already ready to go. :D

ROFL, my bad, Dunno what I was thinking,...I know theres one month to go, I must have been thinking calendar year...so the answer is really 8 months. Just goes to show how things have been around here recently! But its all good :thumbsup:

Last year we used Cedar mulch around some plants like the Tomatoes and in the aisles...really cut down on weeding AND bugs. But everyone says you shoulnt use wood based mulches for more then 2 years because of nitrogen depletion in the decomposition process. I did the straw thing the year before but around here the price of straw seems to be tied into the price of gold :confused2:

/ Gardening with Plastic Mulch #9  
Just goes to show how things have been around here recently! But its all good :thumbsup:

I know the feeling. We're chasing a 20 month old around the the mean time. :) Fun times.
I've used lawn clippings around plants in the past, and that would still be my preference if I actually had time to rake the yard. :D They prevented weeds and helped hold moisture around the plant.

/ Gardening with Plastic Mulch #10  
the mulch i use isn't the bio degradable type, i just pull it up and recycle it @ the end of the season. i'll try to get a pic of my row builder after work, as i need to harrow in a section where i had some peas and plant beans. i love the plastic mulch for squash and pumpkins i usually lay the mulch about 2 weeks b4 planting and by the time i plant the soil has warmed up nicely and just plant from seed and within about a week the seed has germinated and is just about breaking the dirt.