Hybrid Structures

/ Hybrid Structures #1  

RedOak

Tractor
CAT 420D
I've been searching the TBN forum for information relating to hybrid structures. That is, buildings constructed with open-span steel trusses that are connected/stabilized with wooden girts and purlins. I've found several interesting threads here, but the newest one is nearly five years old.

Has anyone on the board had any experience with any of the hybrid steel structure manufacturers -- Perka, Web Steel, Strat-O-Span, etc. -- lately?

We're particularly interested in the Perka truss kits, but I'd be very interested in reading about any brand out there.

Thank you for your time,
Red
:)

/ Hybrid Structures
Any steel people out there? Perhaps someone might want to write about why they chose any type of steel building? Has anyone gone with an all steel design -- steel trusses, steel girts and steel purlins -- over the alternatives?

/ Hybrid Structures #3  
I'm currently building a 48 X 60 steel truss building with a 12 ft expander and three foot overhang brackets that makes it 60 X 60. It has 12 foot eves. It uses 2 X 10 wood purlins on the roof and 2 X 8 girts on the sides. This is being built as a home instead of a shop building. The steel trusses and the H beam posts will be exposed inside. The twelve foot expander area is a covered porch sized 12 X 60.

I decided to sheet the entire exterior (except the two porches) and roof with OSB to stiffen it up and support the roof better as well as making a place for roof insulation. The exterior will most likely be Hardy concrete siding and the roof is steel.

I have just finished getting the steel up and will be starting on the roof next.

Steel has a lot of advantages, but this is turning out to be expensive and time consuming.

The foundation is three foot square concrete posts under each steel post and connected with a stem wall. The front porch is a separate 14 foot by 14 foot pad covered with it's own steel structure and roof with the ridge running opposite the main roof like a California style roof.

The floor will be concrete with radiant heating running on oil.

The whole place sits on a slight slope. The garage entrance (with two ten foot by ten foot roll up doors) is at ground level and the entry, on the opposite corner, is about 5 feet higher than ground level. This will be a four car garage/shop area and a two bedroom two bath home. It's located in the Pine Nut mountains in Smith Valley Nevada at 4900 ft elevation.

Last edited:
   / Hybrid Structures #4  
Welcome RedOak. What do you plan to do with the building (e.g. shop, garage, machine shed, home, barn, etc)?

/ Hybrid Structures #5  
Steel is such a wonderful material. But as with any construction, there are a bunch of problems to be solved, and compromises to be made, all along the way. One thing is the foundation and all the assembly of prefabricated parts must be done straight all the way up. Unlike wood stick buildings where you can simply cut another piece and correct for other problems. Elevations are critical.

The use of wooden girts and purlins helps with heat loss and helps when framing out the windows and doors. The buildings have engineered diagonal bracing and engineering stamps that are based on the original design without any changes. I made the mistake of mentioning to the inspector that I had made a few changes and he immediately cut me off and said "I don't want to hear about that!". Meanwhile I've welded up new posts, changed some lengths of others, changed the length of mis-manufactured rigid bracing beams and will be adding door headers and moving the diagonal braces.

A good transit level is very valuable. A laser level is also a great help, but make sure you have an accurate one! No cheapo units allowed! I bought one laser that proved unusable and another that was 3/8 inch off over 40 feet or so. I had a concrete contractor do my concrete footings and they are off by 2 inches in 60 feet! Grrrrrrrrrrr.

If you work by yourself a lot the laser level and remote sensor are a big help. A simple pipe A frame in a tractor bucket will lift most of the posts into position, but a Skytrak is needed to set the trusses and roof members. I bought a Skytrak for the project. A good work platform or basket is necessary for the forklift. I built one out of an old entrance gate from a construction project. A tractor with a backhoe is absolutely a necessity. Drilling in the hold down bolts after construction or casting them in during concrete work is a decision to contemplate.

/ Hybrid Structures
Raspy: Your building sounds very interesting. Who supplied the materials/kit? Are you erecting it yourself?

mjncad: The building will serve two purposes (at different points in time). At first, the interior will be framed out to provide a residence. At some point in the future, the building will be "converted" to a more conventional purpose: a nice garage/storage building.

Thanks very much for the replies :)

/ Hybrid Structures #7  
Mine is a Miracle Steel Building. They went out of business because of the recession and some takeover mistakes, but the steel is amazingly nice and heavy. Beautiful welding.

Yes, I'm building it myself, but subbing out stuff I don't want to, or can't do. I've done all the electrical and plumbing and I'm putting up all the steel.

/ Hybrid Structures
It's probably a lot to ask, Raspy, but have you taken any project photos?

You and I seem to have a lot in common, so I'm particularly interested in your project. I, too, had a Miracle Truss (MT) frame lined up, but it involved making changes that proved either too difficult or too expensive.

At this point, we're shopping for something as close to an MT frame as we can get. We have a friend who erected an MT frame, and he is very happy with it after nearly six years of use. Once again, I think we're pretty much on the same wavelength.

/ Hybrid Structures #9  
I have a bunch of pictures. My wife will help me post some tomorrow.

I already posted some under the Projects area and the thread "steel Work" Since then I've finished the rough steel with the exception of some diagonal bracing.

See if you can find those and tell me what you think. :)

John

/ Hybrid Structures
I did a search on the phrase "steel work," John, and got a boat load of pages. Is there any way to parse the search up a bit? That is, did you start this thread? If so, I can search by your user name...

And as for the "Projects area" you mentioned, is there a special place on the TBN board for project photos?

I'm fairly new here, so please bear with me...