Dug well Caisson

/ Dug well Caisson #31  
Not sure it inserted the quote right toy,, :confused: But John,, Wow,, never heard of that,,glad your ok..?? I'm still looking at the pressure treated method,, but i'm not going to use it for drinking,, just for keeping the pond full.. Hope the ducks don't mind,,

Before you go to the expense and the effort calculate how much water you need to keep the pond full. You might be surprised about the volume. My leaky pond is about 0.65 ac and drops between 1 to 2"/day depending on water level. To keep it full I would need constant inflow about 24 gal/min.

Water drop/day 2in
Area 0.65 ac
Area 27878.4 sqft
Area 4014459 sqin
Volume 8028918 cuin
Volume 34757.22 gal
Required flow rate 24.14 gal/min

Link to handy unit converter:
http://joshmadison.com/software/convert-for-windows/

Last edited:
   / Dug well Caisson #32  
Not sure it inserted the quote right toy,, :confused: But John,, Wow,, never heard of that,,glad your ok..?? I'm still looking at the pressure treated method,, but i'm not going to use it for drinking,, just for keeping the pond full.. Hope the ducks don't mind,,

Maybe not, but the supplier when he heard well would think major lawsuit should you or your family go down with lead poisoning, so they advised galvanized steel.

Yep OK now, but the lead wasn't a major problem, it lowered my immune system to where I had little resistance to other problems..
If you check garden hoses at your garden center, they carry a warning, "NOT FOR DRINKING Water" I often wondered why, the warning never say's why!! I presumed for hygiene reasons!!
After a little research I was shocked!! A water hose full of water in the sun for a few hours has a lead content of almost as high as water through lead pipes!! The more acidic the water the higher the leach level.
All PVC used for outdoor purposes uses lead to stabilize it, potable water hoses don't use any stabilizers and go all black and yukky in the sun.

/ Dug well Caisson #33  
I don't know if these pics and article will help you or not.

Attachments

• 0.gif
    0.gif
    15.3 KB · Views: 238
  • 1.gif
    1.gif
    25.6 KB · Views: 407
  • 2.gif
    2.gif
    13.3 KB · Views: 186
  • 716a15.pdf
    397.1 KB · Views: 159
   / Dug well Caisson
Re: Dug well Caisson
I don't know if these pics and article will help you or not

Thanks.. nice idea and i might look at the high side of my property for and springs... I already do something like that but it's only surface water I'm collecting,,

Keep the ideas coming,, :thumbsup:

/ Dug well Caisson
Well after digging and filling in several test holes I'v settled on the one 30' from the pond.. It's a bit up hill and the ground is all gray clay so I don't think I'll be taking water from the pond.. The test hole at 5' had 1 foot of water.. I took a lazer and checked the level with the pond,, It was the same,, I'm thinking that both the pond and hole water levels are the normal levels of water in the ground.. Not a spring :(..

I want to dig down 10' and pump it down to see the flow rate. :eek: My BH is only a 7' sooooo I'm digging a hole for the tractor too.. I hope the put the tractor into a 3' deep hole to get the extra depth I need,,,I'll get some pic's this weekend.. :eek:

/ Dug well Caisson #36  
I want to dig down 10' and pump it down to see the flow rate. :eek: My BH is only a 7' sooooo I'm digging a hole for the tractor too.. I hope the put the tractor into a 3' deep hole to get the extra depth I need,,,I'll get some pic's this weekend.. :eek:

Ah, that's the easy way. When I did mine I had a machine dig around 6 feet and then used a hickory backhoe for the rest (to 10ish feet). I would bale out the hole as best I could, climb in the hole, bale some more and have wife pull up bucket while I lifted. When I had it as dry as I could get it I would fire up the hickory backhoe and have at it. The cycle kept repeating until I hit ledge. Oh what fun......

/ Dug well Caisson
ElDorado,, "hickory backhoe" ?? Do you mean a Wooden bucket ??? I googled it and couldn't find anything.. If soooo WOW !!! you were determined,, :thumbsup:

/ Dug well Caisson #38  
ElDorado,, "hickory backhoe" ?? Do you mean a Wooden bucket ??? I googled it and couldn't find anything.. If soooo WOW !!! you were determined,, :thumbsup:

I suspect that he means something like unto this (but with a hickory handle).

Aaron Z

/ Dug well Caisson #39  
Pick ax and/or shovel or post hole digger. Hickory dump truck is a wheel barrel.
hugs, Brandi

/ Dug well Caisson #40  
That is exactly how I remember wells were dug when I was a kid. First they dug a hole about 5 feet deep and egg shape. The "fat" side had about 4 to 5 feet in radius. At that point they put in several concrete pipes stacked on each other. The pipes were made of reinforced concrete, about 20" tall, 3" wall and 4 to 5' in diameter. One man was inside digging and one on the top operating manual winch pulling a bucket with material out of the well. As more material was removed and the pipes were sinking in additional were added on the top.

I remember when our neighbor was digging well. One morning they came to the well and the ladder was gone. The bottom of the well fell in abandoned silver mine. He was lucky that it happened when nobody was digging.