Dug well Caisson

/ Dug well Caisson #1  

hr3

Veteran Member
Tractor
7610 hst
Hi all I have a question about a dug well I would like to put in.. The reason for the well is to feed water into my pond.. The pond goes from full in the spring to 5' below this on a dry summer,, Right now it's down 3' from the top..

Ok so here is the question !! I have dug down 5' about 30' away from the pond and have 1' of water. After some rain the other night I had 4' of water and it seems to be staying there,, If I can dig down another 5' bringing the total depth to 10' then build a Caisson 4' sq.by12' out of PT 2by6 wrap it in fabric then fill in the outside with sand .. Would this make a good well structure ???

/ Dug well Caisson #2  
A concrete manhole with perforations or a concrete pipe would be a better choice or even a septic tank with holes in the bottom and lower sides.

Put a couple of 6" pvc pipes in the hole vertically at opposite sides and back fill with clean stone
Reverse french drain and pump out one 6" pipe monitor level in the other one on the other side of pit.

Is the water level the same as your pond (pond water flowing in to pit)?
How do you plan on getting water to the pond?
You should pump down your pit and see how fast it recovers before going any further

tom

/ Dug well Caisson
Thank's for the advice Tom,, As far as the level it's about 8' below the pond height. and it's all gray clay so I don't think it's coming from the pond.. I want to stay away from the concrete tiles if I can, Price is one reason the other is it's tucked in the woods and it's easy to put a well roof on the wood ??? As for the pump I was going to build a platform a foot from the bottom and set a sump pump on it.. Figured it would turn off and on as the water flowed in.. ??

/ Dug well Caisson #4  
Water will seep through clay.:( I dug my pond in solid red clay and I had water seeping in as I dug it. I think the pond and well will seek the same level.:(:(
hugs, Brandi

/ Dug well Caisson
Brandi.. So far good on that one...the pond level is about 8' above the hole I dug where I would like to put the well..

/ Dug well Caisson #6  
What about a culvert on end? I did that for a well at our camp and it works fine. The retailer would not sell me a plastic one once he found out that we were going to be consuming the water, I had to buy a galvanized metal one (go figure- galvanized safer than plastic???).

I placed about 15 inches of crushed stone on the bottom, installed the culvert, and place around 1 foot of stone around the culvert (4 foot). I then attached a pitless adapter to the culvert and around 6 feet of copper going down into the well. The pump and pressure tank are in a small pumphouse and I have a wooden cover on top of the culvert and keep the pumphouse locked to keep out the kids.

This works fine. There is usually around 5-6 feet of water in the culvert x 4 feet in diameter is a lot of water. Oh yeh, I dug down until I hit ledge which was around 9 feet. The culvert was 10 feet long - the pregnant wife and I muscled it from the horizontal plane to the vertical plane.

Good Luck!

/ Dug well Caisson
ElDorado,, where did you find a short piece of culvert like that ?? Sounds like a great idea.. :thumbsup:

/ Dug well Caisson #8  
ElDorado,, where did you find a short piece of culvert like that ?? Sounds like a great idea.. :thumbsup:

If you have to get a longer one cut it in half or thirds and put 2 or 3 in more volume

tom

/ Dug well Caisson #9  

4' culvert is going to cost a bit if you have to buy a 20 footer new. I like the idea too. If you have to pay for a whole one, hire an excavator to put it in the ground as far as it will go is another option. I don't know if one really deep vs 2 or 3 short ones is equivalent for water collection. Deeper would be better is my first thought.

Maybe check around with some construction companies, behind town hall, people who do road work, etc. They might have a cut off laying around.

Dave.

/ Dug well Caisson #10  
Eldorado I have a hand dug well that is walled up with rock, some of the best water you have ever drunk. I have thought about doing the same thing that you did on the upper end of my property closer to my house, and I too have thought about using black plastic culvert pipe. I thought that I would drill holes in the bottom part of the culvert pipe to let water seep in and filling up the outside of the pipe with gravel partway up. I am glad to hear someone did it now I know that my idea wasn't nutty after all and that it would work. I wonder about the galvanized culvert over the black plastic though. When we were kids we all drank out of a zinc water bucket and a dipper, I wonder if that zinc water bucket was actually a galvanized bucket, might have been.

My hand dug well is about 20 feet deep, my brother has a hand dug and rock walled well that we put a 41 foot suction hose and foot valve in and it still wasn't on the bottom. I don't know how the old timers could dig a well that deep and wall it up and how they could get air down there to breathe and how they could keep the water out while they dug. I know digging a well like that would have been during the driest part of the year, had to have been dug during a drought.