Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Yanmar LX4900//Cub 7532//Cub Yanmar SC2400//Komatsu D38//Cub Volunteer//Cub SZ60/CAT 289C/CAT 308

Default Steep gravel driveway advice

Thought it was going to be in the budget for a hard surfaces driveway this year, but as it's going most likely not. Many other projects eating up $$$$.
    So, with either blacktop or concrete driveway in mind for the future, (leaning towards blacktop) what kind of gravel should I use for a 180' fairly steep driveway? Concrete contractor was here yesterday, says he uses #57. (under concrete) My concerns are traction in the winter, especially for the wife & kids.
    Just #57 alone, or can I add a "filler" on top to make a good surface for traction/plowing this winter?
    I've read a few threads on the recycled asphalt and am interested, could I use this over gravel now, and then blacktop over it next year? Same type of gravel for either concrete or blacktop?
    Long ago I was at a gentleman's house buying a mower, and he had a perfectly packed, groomed, level gravel driveway.....might as well have been asphalt as nice as it was. He told me the mix he did to get it, but of course I've forgotten those details now....
    Will also have a landing to the existing garage & future garage at the top of the driveway, fairly level.
    Any and all input is appreciated....I can provide pics if it will help. TIA!

Default Re: Steep gravel driveway advice

57 limestone. Limestone will lock together. Will give good traction until it ices over in Winter. Do not use river and do not use slag on hills. If drive has a southern exposure you're better off. Good luck. We have about 1/2 mile of hilly drive to maintain and it's a constant battle.

Tractor
    1998 Kubota B21, 2005 Kubota L39

Around here on a steep drive I have always had the best luck with crusher run, called road base in some areas. The stone dust helps lock it together and hold it on the hill as long as the road drains well. When I have tried #57 it tends to migrate down hill with time.

MarkV

Tractor
    NH TN 55, Kubota B2320 & RTV 900, Bad Boy Outlaw 61" ZTR

Quote Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
    Around here on a steep drive I have always had the best luck with crusher run, called road base in some areas. <snip>

MarkV
    And "ABC" in some areas.

Steve

Tractor
    1984 John Deere 455D

My steep driveway is also done with road base. But it's so steep that 2 wheel drive cars have to get a running start to climb it. If they go slow or stop part way up then they can't get going again. Most visitors just gas it and dig holes, then backup and get a running start. I then have to use my 8' wide by 12' long chain link fence to flatten it. The fence digs up all sort of rocks and makes it almost worse.

Tractor
    Kubota B7800

The "classic" solution is to make is less steep by cutting across the face of the hill instead of straight up. Any possibility of a switchback of sorts? We have a neighbor with steep drive and they simply hate it every winter...
    Mike

"As you go through life, make this your goal: watch the donut, not the hole"

Kubota B7800
    BH-75A Backhoe
    Rhino 60'' finish mower

Tractor
    1984 John Deere 455D

Here's the driveway..............
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Steep gravel driveway advice-ponderosa-driveway-004-jpg  

Tractor
    08 Montana C5264, 2011 McCormick CX100 XS

Good base of Crusher Run to start. wait a month or so, get it well packed and then add the Ashphalt Gridings on top.

if you already have a good base, just go with the Grindings
    Montana 5264 4wd Tractor with FEL

Here's ours..............Topsoil was stripped, shale base added, 57 limestone topping, ditch on uphill side with rip rap....................
    Last edited by firefighter jim; 07-20-2010 at 12:23 PM.

Tractor
    1998 Kubota B21, 2005 Kubota L39

Jim that ditch is a thing of beauty great views also. Looks like you were dealing with runoff from above more than anything. As far as the drive, that isn't near as steep as what I was dealing with. There reaches a point that whatever gravel you use if it is steep enough concrete is the only thing that will stand the test of time.

MarkV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast