What color of pole barn???

/ What color of pole barn??? #1  

RxRatedZ71

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3203
So I am ordering a pole barn kit from Lumber 2 tomorrow and I still am wavering on my colors. I am building a 30x40 with a 10' porch along one side and will have wainscoting along the bottom.

We built our house in 2008 and it is tastefully settled in the country surrounded by trees. I have the perfect spot already picked for the barn, in another clearing in the trees. Since you will pass the barn on the way to the house, I would like for it not to stick out like a sore-thumb while driving down the driveway.

I would love to have red incorporated into the decor. I've thought about a burgundy wainscoting with burgundy trim, perhaps with an almond upper and roof? Or perhaps a dark tan wainscoting & trim and a light-sand color on the upper and roof. What is everyone's opinion or any suggestions that I might have overlooked.......

Attachments

• 4-14-10 #2.jpg
    4-14-10 #2.jpg
    724.9 KB · Views: 889
  • IMG_2146.jpg
    IMG_2146.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 920
   / What color of pole barn??? #2  
Is green an option? It would blend in with the trees.

/ What color of pole barn??? #3  
How about colors complementary to the house? I had my barn match the house, walls and roof. I have an older barn that was originally green which has become rather drab over the years (about 25).

/ What color of pole barn???
I have thought about green...maybe dark green wainscoting and trim and then a sandy beige side and roof. My father is going with me when I order it, but I need the colors picked out prior to arrival, since he is color blind. No telling what suggestions I will get if he were to order it. :laughing: I am concerned about fading and chalking. I know either burgundy or green are relatively dark and would show chalking if it were to run over time.

/ What color of pole barn??? #5  
Since you are going to drive past it every time you go to your home, I would seriously consider doing the front of it in brick to match the house. The sides and back can be a neutral color to blend in with the background, or a color that compliments the brick.

My reasoning is that no mater what color you decide, it's still going to be a metal building, and look like a metal building. By doing the front in brick, you will change that and make it look like it's part of your home.

More money, but also there is the long term satisfaction of being happy and even more importantly, your wife will be happy when she sees it.

If it's ugly, or she's not happy with your color choice, it will be a source of annoyence for all eternity.

Good luck,
Eddie

/ What color of pole barn??? #6  
More money, but also there is the long term satisfaction of being happy and even more importantly, your wife will be happy when she sees it.

If it's ugly, or she's not happy with your color choice, it will be a source of annoyence for all eternity.

Good luck,
Eddie

Amen brother on that point. I discussed this my wife and we went with a green roof and light tan side.

The Cleary Building sales rep told me the most popular combination is light gray siding and green roofs. I would definitely not recommend a vivid color siding unless are trying to attract attention. In addition it will fade over time. I would go with a more neutral siding if it is to be all metal.

/ What color of pole barn??? #7  
Check out the web sites for building panels. They have a lot of good information available.

*TSR = Total Solar Reflectance. An Energy Star certified color must meet the following TSR requirements: 25% initial, 15% after 3 years of exposure testing.

My first barn had a green roof. It does fade after a while. I saw a noticable change in less than 5 years. The 25/40 year warranties don't really mean much.

My new barn uses a white roof and light grey walls. White has a 65% TSR and the ash was around a 56%. Green or a dark color would be around 17% TSR and black 5% TSR, these would not get an energy star rating. Think in terms of how hot you want the building to be or how easy to cool. Good Luck.

PS Light colors will look great for many years vs other colors.

/ What color of pole barn??? #8  
So I am ordering a pole barn kit from Lumber 2 tomorrow and I still am wavering on my colors. I am building a 30x40 with a 10' porch along one side and will have wainscoting along the bottom.

We built our house in 2008 and it is tastefully settled in the country surrounded by trees. I have the perfect spot already picked for the barn, in another clearing in the trees. Since you will pass the barn on the way to the house, I would like for it not to stick out like a sore-thumb while driving down the driveway.

I would love to have red incorporated into the decor. I've thought about a burgundy wainscoting with burgundy trim, perhaps with an almond upper and roof? Or perhaps a dark tan wainscoting & trim and a light-sand color on the upper and roof. What is everyone's opinion or any suggestions that I might have overlooked.......

Oh come on....you really have to ask? :confused:

Maroon and white.

/ What color of pole barn???
Well its settled. I went with evergreen wainscoting and trim and a light ash grey upper and roof. I found several pics of that combo online and I think they'll look great. Keep up with my thread detailing the construction process and wish me luck!

/ What color of pole barn??? #10  
:thumbsup: